Great Dane or Newfoundland?

Old December 27th 05, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Great Dane or Newfoundland?

I'll be getting married in July and both my fiance and I would like to
get a dog. We've both owned dogs before and would like a large dog
that would do well inside. We've already purchased a decent sized home
(~1800 sq ft) with a large yard (~.5 acre). I've done a lot of
research and we've narrowed our choices down to either a Great Dane
(her #1) or a Newfoundland (my #1). From what I've read they both have
very similar temprements and both would do fine living inside with
moderate excercise on a daily basis.
I have two real concerns about Great Danes. One, there problems with
bloat and torsion. I've read and heard some very sad stories about
losing animals from these and from what I understand there's no way to
completely prevent either problem. I've also read that not playing or
excercising with the animal for an hour before and after it eats is a
prevention and I think that would make me constantly worry that I would
cause it to develop the problem. The second concern is with childeren.
We don't have childeren yet but probably will within the next few
years after we get married. I've read that Great Danes are very good
with kids, but I've also heard that their tails are like whips and can
very often cause harm (especially to small childeren) accidentally. Is
this something I should even worry about?
My main concern with a Newfoundland is shedding it's long hair. My
fiance is also concerned that it will be more likely to track in dirt
in leaves with its longer coat. Any questions, comments, or concerns
would be greatly appreciated. We'd really like to open up our home to
one of these gentle giants but want to make sure we pick a dog that we
can both enjoy. Thanks in advance for your feedback and if anyone has
any advice please let me know.

rec.pets.dogs: Great Danes Breed-FAQ John Thomas Dog info 0 November 18th 05 06:35 AM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 6 September 13th 04 06:08 PM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Prospective Great Dane owner with some questions Pat Dog breeds 4 November 4th 03 09:50 PM