Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Old January 2nd 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Michael A. Ball

Default Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 00:42:39 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen"
wrote:

I'm really a novice with dogs, and have been criticised a lot here, but I
think I have done a good job with Muttley and he is now family. And the
only thing I fear when walking him at night is that he could get loose and
cause injury to someone or another pet, so I must take precautions and will
need to work with him and probably a good trainer or behaviorist.

Yes, at 75 pounds, I reckon Muttley would be intimidating! A face that
dark is really hard to read, especially in low light.

I'm curious about why your fear of him getting loose, etc., is at night.
Is it because he is so dark in color? I have a black Chow Chow; so, I
have a very similar concern. I'm not very afraid of what Tang might do,
but terrified of what might be done to him. Sophie, my Chow
Chow--Pekingnese mix is a different story. I believe she would chase a
grizzly bear.

I was just thinking, an Akita, with the right coloring, would be
intimating. They are one of my favorites.

I hope you are proud of what you're achieving with Muttley.
________________________
Experience is something you don't get--until just after you need it.
Old January 2nd 07, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

Default Attn: CBB people reading here

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in news:4599f0f2$0$2644
:

need to work with him and probably a good trainer or behaviorist.

See, this is why people don't think anyone could do anything for Muttley
and Paul. After all that has gone on, there is still a "probably" on
that working with a good trainer or behaviorist statement.

Paula

Old January 2nd 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 07:10:54 GMT, Paula wrote:

See, this is why people don't think anyone could do anything for Muttley
and Paul. After all that has gone on, there is still a "probably" on
that working with a good trainer or behaviorist statement.

I don't think they read breeds.

--
Lynne

"First get your facts; then you may distort them at your leisure."
-- Mark Twain
Old January 2nd 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
ceb

Shelly wrote in
. 4:

I would think so. I think the OP said they already have a large
black mutt, though, and that it's not enough of a deterrant. It
seems to me that if a large black mutt isn't doing the trick, not
much else is likely to.

Well, I think s/he said it was a retriever mix -- Queenie, who is the
largest of my bunch, just doesn't bark at people approaching her -- she
loves people and doesn't see them as a threat, even if they run up to
her. Plus she has the sweetest, funnest expression on her face, I wasn't
at all scared of her the first time she bounded up to me, off leash, no
owner in sight. She is a goof. So I can understand the OP's feeling that
his/her current dog is not a deterrent. I think just having 2 dogs can
seem like a bigger deterrent, I pretty much feel safe at all times,
feeling that no one would breach my domain. On the other hand, I felt
safe all the time when I had only cats, so what the hell do I know?

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old January 2nd 07, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 14:56:29 +0000 (UTC), ceb
, clicked their heels and said:

seems to me that if a large black mutt isn't doing the trick, not
much else is likely to.

Well, I think s/he said it was a retriever mix -- Queenie, who is the
largest of my bunch, just doesn't bark at people approaching her -- she
loves people and doesn't see them as a threat, even if they run up to
her.

Years ago, I brought my first FCR/wannabe with me to rescue someone
from an abusive situation. She was the sweetest and quietest dog
around, but the guy wasn't dog wise in the least, so I figured she was
a scarier looking dog than my Golden!

Fortunately, I didn't need to do much, as the police responded well,
but I'd probably choose the same way again.

Out of my 3 dogs, Franklin rarely barks except in play. The gold dogs
OTOH........

--
Janet Boss
Old January 2nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
ceb wrote:
I can vouch for the black dogs being scary to others. Plus evidently
black mutts have a lower chance of being adopted, so adopting one would
be a kindness in that respect. (I personally find it a little bit hard to
believe that black dogs are adopted less often, but I suppose my personal
preferences are not all universal.)

When I was living in Berkeley I visited their animal shelter
and I was pretty surprised to find one large, separate area
with kennels full of big black dogs that had been deemed
unadoptable. There were probably about 20 of them and they
all looked very similar.

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old January 2nd 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in
:

I think perhaps my dog Muttley may fit the image of a scary dog,

Gee, ya think?!

and he has backed that up (unfortunately) with inappropriate use
of his teeth. You can read more about him and see what he looks
like at www.snippety-snip-snip.

Better yet, search the rpd* archives. You're more likely to get an
idea of what an assberet Paul is and just how scary his dog is.

It is possible
that he had been bred by drug dealers to have the
characteristics of other dogs thought of as intimidating or
scary:

Oh for the love of God! Do you *ever* quit?

German Shepherd, Chow, Boxer, and Pit Bull. He is a solid,
powerful 75 lb or so, and has a large head with a black mask,
and brown eyes. He was a rescue from a bad neighborhood in
Baltimore, and he was an Alpha pack master of 3 other dogs
including a black Lab and a Rotweiler.

Ya know what? I'm a little squicked out by your fetishization of
Muttley's "powerfulness."

He is not really a terribly dangerous or aggressive dog, but he
has shown some very serious dog aggression, and he did bite
someone after he was unintentionally provoked.

He was *not* provoked. He bit the person as they were walking
*away*.

However, he is initially a bit fearful, and is usually somewhat
aloof, even with me. In that behavior he seems almost a bit
wolf-like, as I noticed with a friend's half-wolf. He was a nice
animal, but his rather cold and distant, almost feral, stare was
slightly intimidating and commanded respect.

Again, with the fetishization. Also, there is nothing remotely
"wolf-like" about Muttley.

You don't want a truly dangerous dog, but one who is initially
wary of you is likely to scare off a stranger. You don't want a
dog that instantly takes to you and acts goofy and subservient.
Such a dog might make a wonderful pet but will not be what you
want. The only problem I see with a dog like Muttley is that he
may be very aggressive toward your other dog, and it could get
ugly if he wants to assert dominance.

Telling someone to seek out a hinky dog for faux protection is
pretty crappy advice, I think.

I'm really a novice with dogs,

Finally, he tells a truth!

and have been criticised a lot
here, but I think I have done a good job with Muttley and he is
now family.

You've done some sort of job with him, that's for sure.

And the only thing I fear when walking him at night
is that he could get loose and cause injury to someone or
another pet,

You should maybe put down the bong. You can't even be bothered to
secure him properly during the day.

so I must take precautions and will need to work
with him and probably a good trainer or behaviorist.

And another lie! You have no intention of dealing with a good
trainer or behaviorist. It seems to me that you are too attached
to Muttley just the way he is to change anything.

--
Shelly

Never put a sock in a toaster.
-- Eddie Izzard
Old January 2nd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Lynne

on Tue, 02 Jan 2007 15:25:39 GMT, Shelly wrote:

Telling someone to seek out a hinky dog for faux protection is
pretty crappy advice, I think.

VERY crappy advice!

--
Lynne
Old January 2nd 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

Lynne wrote in
m:

Oh, Shelly, I'm sorry. That all must have been terribly
difficult.

Thank you. I have this nervous, dare I say sick habit of laughing
and making jokes at inappropriate times. So, really, it wasn't as
bad as it *could* have been. And it happened very quickly, so I
didn't have time to get too upset. Then, after it was over, I had
a weird sense of "Did that really just happen?" It was the middle
of the night when he died, so I wrapped him up in a blanket and
dragged (couldn't lift him!) him onto the front deck. I sat with
him for the rest of the night, watching the stars. When dawn
started to break, I felt kind of silly, but then it occurred to me
that sitting with the dead is a traditional thing to do. And, star
watching is *always* appropriate.

When our LabXShep, Raven died, my husband struggled to carry her
up the hill to bury her. He's a big strong guy but Raven
weighed over 100 lbs. So that's why I think about these things
when I think about these things.

I think that's inevitable.

(How's that for beautiful grammar?)

Works for me!

Some kind of lift wouldn't be a bad idea to have on hand for a
small person with a large dog, just in case. I just can't
picture exactly what...

Here's that inappropriate humor at work: appliance dolly! Also, a
kids' wagon, wheel barrow, or garden cart would work well on flat
ground.

--
Shelly

It is difficult to commit to living where we are, how we are. It is
difficult and it is necessary.
-- Julia Cameron