Ingrown dew claws

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 11th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Ingrown dew claws

I dropped my daughter off at a new friend's house this afternoon and
wasn't gone 5 minutes before my cell phone rang. It was my daughter.
She sounded really odd - sort of tense and strangled - and she asked me
if I could please come back *now* with the dremel tool and look at her
friend's dog's feet.
I circled back around, grabbed the dremel from the back of the van and
had a look. The dog was a 21 year-old, three-legged beagle who could
barely walk. His family had assumed that it was just old age, but his
nails were so overgrown they had curled around to the side and under and
were in danger of cutting into his pads. Working with the dremel and
the guillotine clippers, after about 45 minutes I was able to get the
toe nails trimmed back to where they were no longer touching the ground
when he stood.
But the dew claws had grown into a circle and the tips were imbedded in
his flesh. There was no place to start with either the clipper or the
grinder. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog needs to be seen by
a vet, and I told the girl as much, but I suspect that finances are a
major issue. The only way I can imagine to do it would be to use a
cutting wheel head on the dremel to (carefully!) remove a chunk of the
middle of the claw, then back the amputated tip end of the nail out of
the flesh. And I don't know if I'm up to that.
Is there any method or technique I can use to deal with this with any
degree of safety if they can't/won't take him to see the vet? If not, I
will pony up the vet fee myself to get this poor old boy seen to.
It made me feel really good to see the old guy's lameness miraculously
cured when we finally set him down, but the dew claw thing just really
gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Kathleen