Last bit on pups

Old November 11th 03, 04:27 PM
Tricia9999

and lots of times Mom's do not have the time to take
care of all the young *pups*.

Right. Mom is usually the lifesaver in any situation. If she is overwhelmed
with all her parenting duties, the pup gets put on the back burner. I have a
friend who is a complete dog nut who has recently had a baby. She realizes how
much less attention her dog is getting - of course it is an infant, but it
happens with grade school kids too, I believe.

Old November 11th 03, 04:51 PM
Suja

Tricia9999 wrote:

I agree with this, but I think a family with a lot of kids should adopt a dog
already past the toothy, nightmare 9 week age. Puppies are a mistake I think.
It's like a new person to riding - put them on an experienced calm horse, not a
green one.

I did a home visit yesterday on a single parent with a 4 1/2 year old
boy. I took Khan along on the visit, because I always want to see how
kids react towards the dog. The kid was all over Khan, constantly
walking behind him, petting him, hugging him, etc. When Khan lay down,
the kid actually rolled on top of him and sat on his back, as if he
wanted to go on a Khan ride. I kept tabs on Khan, but wanted to see
what the parent would do. Although the kid was corrected, he was just
sooo excited and had such a short attention span tht it wasn't making
much of a dent.

I can't imagine a puppy in that situations. Heck, 90% of the dogs I
know won't work in that situation. And, things wouldn't be any easier
with a younger child. FWIW, my nephew wouldn't dare act like this. He
LOOOVES Khan, and worships the ground he walks on (he knows 'Khan',
'Khan's House', 'Khan's Car', 'Khan's Leash', etc.), but has been taught
to be more respectful.

Suja