lost dog found, but already adopted

Old January 20th 04, 03:01 PM
Cate

Default lost dog found, but already adopted

Have you heard this story? It infuriates me. What doesn't make any sense
is that the original owners were at the shelter every day looking for
Bella--and she was there the whole time. If the Humane Society has
explained how that can happen, it hasn't been reported. The cynical side
of me thinks a shelter volunteer was holding Bella for a friend, keeping
her out of sight, out of the kennels.

S.J. WOMAN LEARNS PAINFUL LESSON ON ANIMAL SHELTERS' RULES
By Connie Skipitares
Mercury News

This lost-dog tale almost had a happy ending.

Niki Karanastasis couldn't believe her luck at finding her 2-year-old
golden retriever, Bella, at the Humane Society six days after the dog
escaped her San Jose yard. But the reunion turned to heartbreak when she
learned her beloved pet had been adopted by a new owner just hours
before.

Officials at the Humane Society Silicon Valley offered a brief apology,
but said five days is the limit they shelter stray dogs picked up
without ID tags before putting them up for adoption.

``I couldn't believe it. How could this happen?'' Karanastasis, a 44-
year-old hairdresser, asked as she broke into tears. ``I was looking at
her, playing with her, but I couldn't have her. How could they tell me,
`You don't own this dog?' ''

Humane Society officials say they understand Karanastasis' anguish, but
their hands are tied.

``This is a difficult situation and I do feel bad for the owner,'' said
Christine Benninger, president of the Humane Society. ``But we're
following state law here. After five days, the Humane Society becomes
owner.''

full story:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...al/7745335.htm

Cate
Old January 20th 04, 04:32 PM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Cate wrote:

Have you heard this story? It infuriates me.

the thought of that happening to either of my dogs makes me
feel sick.

What doesn't make any sense is that the original owners were
at the shelter every day looking for Bella--and she was there
the whole time.

the story doesn't say she looked every day, but it does say
she looked multiple times. i would be beyond furious if i'd
checked the shelter multiple times and my dog was there the
whole time, even if it weren't adopted by someone else.
where *was* the dog? and, presumably the shelter knew what
sort of dog the owner was searching for. surely they should
have shown her every GR currently there?

i can understand why the shelter can't take a dog away from
it's new adopters just because the former owner waltzes back
into the picture, but why can't there be a fail-safe for when
the shelter messes up? i realize the new adopters' ownership
rights need to be protected, but this seems hideously unfair
to me.

all i can say is, microchip your pets!!!

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old January 20th 04, 04:41 PM
Gwen Watson

shelly wrote:

all i can say is, microchip your pets!!!

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Thanks for the reminder Shelly. Reznor's next conformation
show has a microchip clinic as well as an eye clinic. I plan
on doing both.

Gwen

Old January 20th 04, 05:16 PM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Gwen Watson wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Shelly. Reznor's next conformation
show has a microchip clinic as well as an eye clinic. I plan
on doing both.

good! considering the good arguments against keeping collars
on unattended dogs, it makes good sense to chip (and/or
tattoo).

now *i* need to remember to order new tags from the AKC for my
dogs. elliott's still got his original rubbery yellow tag,
but the number is bleeding pretty badly. harriet lost hers,
and now has her number written in Sharpie on her collar.