When to say goodbye?

Old July 12th 03, 09:30 AM
Kit

Default When to say goodbye?

We are fostering a rescue dog called Lucille - you can check her out he
http://members.optusnet.com.au/paws/...s.html#LUCILLE

We got her around the beginning of June. She did find a permanent home but
her new owners returned her after only three days because she was too rough
with their other dog.

Lucille does push my two cocker spaniels around and I know Elliot would vote
for her to leave. (He has a gash over one eye this week & last week she put
a tooth through his ear.) It starts out as a game & quickly escalates into a
minor scrap.

Now she is jumping over our 6" fences & running at people walking their dogs
on the vacant land behind our house. So far no real damage has been done but
it has the potential to be dangerous. We tried fixing the fence today by
putting a lip on it, but she can still get over. About the only choice I can
see is an electric fence, which is certainly not cheap.

The welfare organisation have said it is up to us to decide whether we want
to persevere with her or if she should be put down. They have nowhere else
to send her.

Lucille could have been a good dog, but no one spent the time with her. My
concern is that she will be too difficult to adopt out with her fence
jumping problems on top of everything else. (her last foster carer resorted
to keeping her on a chain because she was getting out of their 5" fences.)

Reading Chuck Petterson's post made me wonder if I was being too stubborn -
when is it time to say goodbye?

All comments appreciated.

Thanks
Kit

--
To reply replace nospam with kamuzz

Old July 13th 03, 04:34 AM
Support Your Local Community Band

You can run a hot wire across the top of the fence for about $35-$40. A
charger costs about $20 and the insulators and wire would run another 15-20.
Ask around. there may be someone in your circle who has one that isn't
being used. (I'm in nebraska. Things like this are common household items)
One or two hits will keep the dog off the fence forever. You can de-energize
it and leave the wire up for a while. The dog won't know it is "cold".

Ill behaving fosters are always a challenge. I have spent the entire day
doing yard repairs to damage left by a recent foster. We advised the new
home of his activities. They said they will work with him. They are
tickled to death with him.

Aggresion is another problem. It's a tough call: one that depends on so
many things. You know what they are. FWIW, you won't hear me second
guessing whatever decision you make.

Good luck.

chuck petterson
rescue bus driver

Old July 14th 03, 09:43 PM
Suja

Kit wrote:

Lucille could have been a good dog, but no one spent the time with her. My
concern is that she will be too difficult to adopt out with her fence
jumping problems on top of everything else. (her last foster carer resorted
to keeping her on a chain because she was getting out of their 5" fences.)

Reading Chuck Petterson's post made me wonder if I was being too stubborn -
when is it time to say goodbye?

All comments appreciated.

Don't people keep their dogs in the house? She would do fine as an only
dog with someone who doesn't have a fenced yard, and thus has to keep
her on-leash. Is it possible for you to keep her on leash while she is
outdoors, take her for walks and such, and generally only allow her
outside with direct supervision?

Suja