Early Spay/Neuter dangerous?

Old July 25th 03, 02:51 PM
CaptRon

Default Early Spay/Neuter dangerous?

I know that someone here can probably point me to necessary articles.
First, the background. Someone dropped off a small hound-type puppy at my
mother's house. They have decided to keep it and want to get it fixed..

After my sticker shock of spaying here in WV ($95 for a 10lb dog???) I was
told that they dont do spay/neuter under 6 months of age because it is too
dangerous.

One shelter said that has a low-cost program told me that "early"
spay-neuter is only provided to shelter dogs because they cant be adopted
out until they are fixed. Otherwise, they advise waiting until 6 months of
age.

At this rate, it would be easier to drop her off at the pound and the "buy"
her the next day! Then, the $50 includes spay and all vaccinations..

so, I was planning on dropping off info at the local vet office (plus my
vet) as well as the local humane societies..

if anyone can point me towards some resources