bleeding 13 year old female dog, Normal?

Old April 2nd 19, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default bleeding 13 year old female dog, Normal?

Some people here are just mean as hell. We have a 13 y/o Ack Russel mix who was never spayed, and, as you saidvshe got cancer. It is devestating. Ibwant to tell you, she has been well cared for, loved and saved from a puppy mill type setting in a atore. We looked at her, knew she wouldn't make it.. Her first vet visit, underweight, weaned too soon, diarrhea, 7 medicines we had to give her. She has outlived 2 neutered nales. One Border Collie who was 11 and had epilepsy since age 2, meds 2x a day. After him, ac160lb King Shepherd who developed demyeinating disease, use a lift to take him out or get him up, used dog wheelchair, rubber mats t/o home. He was well taken care of and loved. So, the thing is, when growing up we had males, when we got our girl the both dogs were neutered, one before getting her and one after. She never was messy, the two dogs didn't bother her but for a little whine occ.. It surely didn't disrupt our home. We have two cats that are fixed, one male, one female, one is a neighborhood stray who we rescued. And we have a border mix now, male, neutered. All are up tobdate on shots, all are chipped, all have toys, love, attention and couch time. So, yes I feel aweful about our girl, I cry BUT I honestly never knew or was told by a Vet that she is more likely to get cancer. So, go ahead and judge instead of educate people. I have a feeling there are alot of people who love their animals, who are good fur parents but you may have done worse, because now some may never again ask for help for their animalon this or any site.. And you may be the cause. Think about that. I sure as hell wouldn't ask advice on here.
Old April 7th 19, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

wrote:

[...]

Hi Mud Puppy (name you use here).

I sincerely hope it is not my message to Tracy hat you refer to as
heartless. There was no such intention. I merely helped understand
implications of late spay. Even after late spay, the risk remains but
is reduced. I know because the 18yo we referenced being spayed that
late (Aunti Mabel) died of mamary cancer combined with a stroke at age
20.5.

Not everyone knows these things and vets are not always as informative
as we would like.

Auti Mabel's cancer was operable with an excellent prognosis but then a
series of strokes happened the night before her scheduled mammectomy.
It was heart breaking to bring her in that morning to be let go instead
of saving her life for a bit more with the cancer removed. The fact is,
she no longer could survive the surgery due to the stroke. Had it been
only the stroke, we'd have ridden it though and she might have
recovered (she had from several small ones over the years) but the
cancer was growing too fast for her to make it wait. Catch-22.

Our 16yo blind female (blind age 9, spayed age 9, adpted age 11) gets
her 'special tummy rub check' daily.

Tracy didn't list age of dog and replied to an old thread (so the
subject doesnt help other than he/she had a similar issue best I can
tell). Tracy did say the vet was hestitant due to age of the dog and
there might be other medical issues not listed in his/her case.

I added how to do a breast exam on a female dog as Tracy might be male
and so not really know how.

Meantime, I feel for your loss. We just lost our Cash (beagle mix) at
presumed age 13. A rescue who'd barely made it through heart worm
treatment, we were warned when we adopted him he'd apt to not see 7 (4
years and only that if we were very careful). Cash was adopted un
neutered becasue even the SPCA refused to do it 3 times (health
related). He got turned down by Banfield until we got his weight up to
a minimal 37lbs and then they agreed the stress of sniffing the ladies
was higher than the risks so we paid a lot to have the doggie
cardiologist for it (they refused unless we had one).

Cash made it obviously but was forever a little underweight at 52lbs
(he was a mixed breed, beagle looking in head and coloring, bull
mastiff neck down looking). Cash was only 27lbs when we adopted. You
could count his vertebra from across the room.

Monday he was lethargic. Tuesday he didnt eat breakfast. Worrysome
but not an emergency. Tuesday night he didnt eat dinner and we called
the vet and got him in on an emergency trip next day. Blood tests show
Systemic shutdown similar to drinking anti-freeze. They had us take
him to the pet hospital by noon for more extensive tests (CAT scans and
all that). Wednesday night we got the news. They want to rule out a
few things with a final test, but they have him on pain killers and he
has cancer. Multiple masses and nothing they can do.

We let him go Thursday, 4 April.

I understand your pain and hope I did not say something that upset you.
If I did, I apologize.

Carol