Home Visit Checklist?

Old October 2nd 03, 06:30 PM
Child

Suja wrote in
news:Ycieb.27645$sp2.22138@lakeread04:

Child wrote:
Its not until friday the 3rd of october - the family is going out of
town! will keep you posted.

Hopefully, you're still following the thread although it has turned
into a bloody mess. I just wanted to tell you about the rookie
mistakes I made when I was starting out. In the beginning, I always
took checklists and lists of questions specific to the adopter's
situation with me. While they were really helpful, I also found out
that they were a little too disruptive for me. I was often so busy
writing down notes that I didn't catch obvious follow-up points to the
conversations.
Unless your short term memory is *really* short, make short notes as
reminders to yourself, but don't go into long tomes during the
interview. Use the checklists as a way of making sure that you cover
all the bases, but make sure that the conversation goes wherever it
would naturally lead to. Too much note taking can also make the
adopters nervous or uptight.

I think this is a good strategy - I have an excellent memory and do not
need to take notes during the conversation. I just need the checklist to
make sure I didn't miss anything.

--
BethF, Anchorage, AK

It's YOUR God.
They are YOUR rules.
YOU burn in hell.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:36 PM
Tara O.

Obviously everyone has their own way of doing things that they are
comfortable with so don't take this as a "must do". I don't take the form
to the hv and don't want my volunteers doing so either. It can make the
applicants uneasy, knowing that you are jotting down notes or referring back
to a piece of paper. They have no idea what's on the paper and if you're
jotting notes, it would only be natural to wonder/worry about what you're
writing. For people with bad memories, I recommend stopping down the street
(after you leave the app's house) and jotting down notes or using a
micro-recorder.

--
Tara