Cesar Millan

Old December 5th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default Cesar Millan

Kimber wrote:

I think the article at this link (below) does a pretty good job of
summarizing what people don't like about CM.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/opinion/31derr.html

Thanks for that link. I don't think I've ever seen the show so the
article was a help.

His methods would have been terrible with Cubbe, but I can see that some
of them would have been fine for Sheppe.

--Lia

Old December 5th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2007120509475675249-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
I can understand that, but have found that a well-timed tsst has worked
better than "uh-uh" - probably because of its faster delivery.

I'm kind of fond of "yo!" It never fails to get the dogs to
stop what they're doing and give me a totally blank look.

Old December 5th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

montana wildhack wrote in

I can understand that, but have found that a well-timed tsst has
worked better than "uh-uh"

My experience is that hissing noises put dogs (and cats) on high alert.
They listen up when you hiss at them. I find it more useful with cats,
or I did, when she was able to hear.

--
Shelly
Old December 5th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article 2007120509592743658-montana@wildhackcominvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
I sometimes make a buzzer noise that is effective depending on the
situation. Bella is noise sensitive so a little "tsst" is fine for her.
As far as I can tell, Beanie is noise insensitive and doesn't really
care about corrective noises. Outside, they don't care about noises at
all...

But seriously, folks ... The old adage about being the most
interesting thing in the room can be incredibly difficult
depending on what you're competing against, and sometimes
it's just a lot easier to be the most surprising thing in
the room.

[A word about ski wax and dog hair: That word is "ewww."]

Old December 5th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

montana wildhack wrote in

However, I made a quantum leap in communicating with dogs when I
quit "speaking" to them and started indicating what I wanted. This
works best with dogs that can see...

Ha! Yes, and I've gotten to pretty much the same point. Harriet is
a visual dog, and she's really responsive to body language. I do a
lot of pointing and motioning (one of my favorites is the "come
here" finger curl). She's also good at picking up on pointed looks.
If I stare at her bed, she'll hop into it. If she's on the couch,
and I stare at the floor, she'll get off the couch, and vice versa.

It's not fool proof, of course, but it's interesting and
entertaining.

--
Shelly
Old December 5th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
tiny dancer

"diddy" none wrote in message
. ..
(Melinda Shore) spoke these words of wisdom in news:fj63hr

tiny dancer wrote:
I don't understand the hostility towards him either.

In your case it's because you've never trained a dog or made
the effort to learn anything about dog training. In Diddy's
case she's just a **** stirrer and factionalist, so it's
impossible to tell what she really thinks, anyway.

I think it's pretty clear what I think, I say so even if it doesn't meet
YOUR approval. If anyone is a **** stirrer, it's YOU. Ever willing to
harrass, demean and put down .

You claim TD doesn't talk about dogs, in spite of many posts to the
contrary. You view her as weak, and therefore a target.

You would rather demean than admit someone actually works with their dogs,
you figure discrediting them makes all that training just go away and

makes
you look good.
I don't think YOUR dogs are trained AT ALL. So it's POT/KETTLE/BLACK from
you.

I find shore to be rather pitiable. She leads a very one dimensional life.
Without her dogs, she has nothing. And she has no interest in learning
about any other aspects of life either. Most people don't live their lives
around their dogs. Their dogs become a part of a larger existence, a part
of their extended lives/families, etc. I think it drives her nuts that I
don't have any real *problems* with my dogs. They aren't *afraid* of the
vacuum cleaner, they are completely housebroken, never have *accidents* in
the house. They aren't food aggressive, are completely socialized to babies
and young children even though neither of them had ever been around children
before me rescuing them. I suppose she thinks I somehow zeroed in on
picking 'just the right dogs' from the hundreds available for rescue? Or
perhaps I'm psychic, and have the ability to *know* the perfect dog to
choose. One needing no training, etc. When I think back on my Gracie, and
being *strongly advised* to never leave my house without crating her because
she could destroy a house in five minutes flat. And now, I can leave both
Gracie and Merlin alone for hours on end, without any damage, neither of
them pee or poop in the house. Perhaps she thinks I have *powers*? I
twitch my nose and magically the dogs are wonderful when I leave my home
until I return?

My dogs have no *issues* as to ownership of toys, they are accustomed to my
friends bringing their own dogs along with them to my house when they come
to visit. They are also accustomed to little kids walking around the house
holding cookies and crackers in their little hands, knowing it is not
acceptable to snatch that oreo out of babies hands. In fact, as far as
socialization goes, I'd put my dogs up against hers any day.

Like I told my daughters when they were that age, you know, junior high age,
'if/when somebody is that intent upon discrediting you, it's because they
are *jealous* of something about you." "Normal people don't follow others
around, continually putting others down." "The only people who engage in
that type behavior are those who are terribly insecure within themselves."

td

Old December 5th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

On Dec 5, 8:41 am, Janet Boss

Shelly wrote:
That said, my main problem with
Cesar is his fans.

I'm a little tired of clients "tssting" their dogs, like it's something
magical.

--
Janet Bosswww.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I agree. My wife's aunt does that with her dog. Now, the dog does
usually stop doing whatever it was doing (good or bad), so I guess in
a way it accomplishes what she wants. But, by the look in the dog's
face, I believe the dog stops so it can ponder what the heck she is
doing, not because the dog is actually connecting that it should stop
whatever it was doing.

Nick
Old December 5th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
tiny dancer wrote:
I find shore to be rather pitiable. She leads a very one dimensional life.
Without her dogs, she has nothing.

I have no life outside of my dogs! Wait, no, that's not it -
I have no life outside of my job! Oops! It's that I have
no life outside of my dogs! Dammit - job! Dogs! Job!
Dogs! Oh, crap! Holding a thought for more than 15 seconds
is HARD.

And she has no interest in learning
about any other aspects of life either.

I'll tell you what, tiny - let's take a test covering
culture, the arts, the sciences, the world in general, and
see who does better. Are you up for it?

Mind you, I don't follow "true crime." I think it's about
as disgusting a hobby as you can get - finding your
entertainment in other people's tragedies. Again, I realize
you don't think, but if you were to give it a try you might
want to start with thinking about how your hobby affects the
people in those books and TV shows you're so fond of. Not
just the criminals, but their families (THINK OF THE
CHILDREN!), their victims, and so on.

Most people don't live their lives
around their dogs.

Most people don't, but mushers do. I realize you don't
actually think, but I reckon that if somebody who does think
turned their awesome powers of reason on the question of
what it takes to care for and train a mess of dogs, they
might come up with, well, who knows?

Anyway, if you're not interested in *dogs*, you must be
hanging out here for some other reason. Hmmmmm. I wonder
what that could be? Coming into a dogs newsgroup and
deriding someone for being really interested in dogs is a
little odd.

Old December 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Shelly

"tiny dancer" wrote in
:

Without her dogs, she has nothing. And she has no interest in
learning about any other aspects of life either.

I expect her life is very, very different from yours. But for you to
assume that different-from-yours means she doesn't *have* a life says a
whole lot about your lack of empathy. It does not say much about
Melinda, though, except maybe that she doesn't discuss her Adventures
in Casserole Land in this forum. Praise be.

--
Shelly