Cesar Millan

Old December 19th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.pets.dogs.pitbull
Cj[_2_]

Default OT- Dunning-Kruger Effect, was Cesar Millan and dog body language

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Terri wrote:
"Cj" wrote in
:
You won't find any agreement on this list, the 'ladies' know
everything already and are incapable of learning anything more. They
are perfect examples of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Aw. Too bad too. You started out sounding as if you were a logical,
if not misguided adult, just prone to blanket statements ...
Buh bye.

I looked up Dunning-Kruger Effect. (I swear, as annoying as this group is
with all the sniping, I don't get led down such interesting paths on
quilting.)

From widipedia:

1. Incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of
skill.
2. Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others.
3. Incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their
inadequacy.
4. If they can be trained to substantially improve their own skill
level, these individuals can recognize and acknowledge their own previous
lack of skill.

Classic. Incompetent individuals who learn about the Dunning-Kruger
Effect will come to conclusion that anyone who thinks highly of their own
level of skill is automatically incompetent.
--Lia

Actually there are a lot of interesting paths about dogs and animal behavior
that could be followed from this list if people weren't so interested in
sniping and backstabbing. The Dunning-Kruger effect was derived from and
named after studies of the general knowledge of a wide variety of people who
were interviewed about their beliefs concerning the extent their own
knowledge. Those who scored the worst on the tests were the ones who
greatly overestimated their knowledge and understanding. By contrast those
who did very well on the test rated themselves about average. Standard
psychological testing ...
Cj

Old December 19th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Cj[_2_]

Default Cesar Millan and dog body language

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Cj" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

An idea is never responsible for those who hold
it and you guys miss a lot of ideas because you're too busy
dumping on people.

An idea is often not seen when a poseur crossposts to five
freakin' newsgroups.

I responded to someone else's comment and didn't notice that they were
posting to other NGs. Have to be more careful in future.

Old December 19th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

Default Cesar Millan

In article OYX9j.256849$Fc.71814@attbi_s21,
Robin Nuttall wrote:

Melinda Shore wrote:

In article ,
Kevin Michael Vail wrote:

I remember that episode (Michael watches cooking shows a lot)! RR kept
saying "I'm the only one here who isn't a chef", but the judges liked a
couple of her things better than anyone else's.

Isn't she the one who makes a lot of stuff out of prepared
food?

No, that's the show "Semi-Homemade," which is actually pretty decent
except I can't stand the hostess. She does these gawdawful table
preparations or "stylings" or somesuch. Blech.

I probably should *not* post this, at least not under my own name :-),
but I recall seeing a special last year with a lot of Food Network
stars, and Sandra Lee was wearing a dress which made it appear that her
breasts were only semi-homemade as well.
--
Kevin Michael Vail | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
Old December 19th 07, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default Cesar Millan and Robin's Comments

diddy wrote:

Whether someone has sex fetishes, or other interests, it's no reason to rag
them on it.

And why the ragging continues is the question that keeps bringing me
back to this group. I can't figure it out, and I want to know. I
figure it's:

1. The raggers think that if they keep telling the targets that the
targets are stupid, ugly, and shallow, the targets will choose to reform
and suddenly become smart, pretty, and deep.

2. The raggers think that if they keep ragging on the targets, the
targets will go away and leave the raggers in a perfect world.

3. The raggers are think they are offering friendship and can't
understand why they are misunderstood. It's like when the boy in
kindergarten keeps teasing the girls in the class. He likes them, and
they tell the teacher on him. With adults, it's a weird form of flirting.

--Lia

Old December 19th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
And why the ragging continues is the question that keeps bringing me
back to this group. I can't figure it out, and I want to know. I
figure it's:

Gosh - that's really *deep*.

Did it ever occur to you to ask?

Old December 20th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

Robin Nuttall wrote news:%XX9j.240737$Xa3.174276
@attbi_s22 in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
Robin Nuttall wrote
news:e3D9j.253398$Fc.49333@attbi_s21 in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My big addiction at the moment is urban sci-fi fantasy. The early
Laurell K. Hamilton (until her books got to be all about very badly
written sex), Lilith Saintcrow, Kim Harrison, C. E. Murphy and several
more.

Have you read Mercedes Lackey's Serrated Edge series?? How about her
Bedlam's Bard series??

Not a Mercedes Lackey fan. The unkind nickname is Mercedes Lacking. I
did try one of hers (I think a fantasy) and got about 50 pages in.

Ahh, that's too bad. I rather enjoy her work. Granted, they are pretty easy
to read, requiring not a whole lot of thought.

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old December 21st 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

Robin Nuttall wrote
news:e3D9j.253398$Fc.49333@attbi_s21 in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My big addiction at the moment is urban sci-fi fantasy. The early
Laurell K. Hamilton (until her books got to be all about very badly
written sex), Lilith Saintcrow, Kim Harrison, C. E. Murphy and several
more.

Have you read Mercedes Lackey's Serrated Edge series?? How about her
Bedlam's Bard series??

Not a Mercedes Lackey fan. The unkind nickname is Mercedes Lacking. I
did try one of hers (I think a fantasy) and got about 50 pages in.

Ahh, that's too bad. I rather enjoy her work. Granted, they are pretty easy
to read, requiring not a whole lot of thought.

Oh I don't mind that. I love good reads. Not at all pretentious about my
reading and am far more likely to go low brow than high brow. I'll try
her again. Maybe I'll like her better. I do get tired of formulaic, and
I tend to really like series books where I get to know a set of
characters over time. I'm reading the last of the 5-book Dante Valentine
series tonight and am trying to savor each word because this is the end
of a great series.
Old December 22nd 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"elegy" wrote:
Saintcrow, Kim Harrison, C. E. Murphy and several more.

Have you read Charles DeLint?

his books are utterly beautiful.

Yes. His books are, IMO, well out of the realm of "fiction" and firmly in
"good literature". I'm using quotes there because I don't really like those
terms, but at the moment can't come up with anything better to describe what
I mean.
Or to put it another way, he's a superb writer whose field just happens to
be "urban fantasy", not a writer of popular fiction. And if I were still
running a bookstore, he'd be cross-shelved in both the "Science Fiction" and
the "Literature" sections. :-)