Hunters and hunting dogs.

Old October 26th 03, 04:01 PM
Bethgsd

Susan wrote:

While I don't know a whole lot of people who "run deer"
anymore (where the heck could you turn a pack of dogs out to mauraude for
game?)

It is very common east of the Blue Ridge in Va. Most of the hunters are
responsible but there are just enough that will sit by their pick'emtrucks
drinking and shoot anything that moves. And then if the hounds aren't good
hunters they'll dump them at the end of the season. I used to work with a
woman that had 17 beagles that she got in that manner. they all had names and
lived in the house and she could show you pictures of them and know who was who
with no trouble.

Beth

Old October 26th 03, 04:44 PM
Becky

well, I can say from my experience that my Papa had a pair of dogs that I
believe he said were Redbone(I was only about 10, and I'm 33 now)...they
were always out in 'the run'...never saw them loose...and when I would try
to pet/play with them thru the fence, I would get THE speech...'don't mess
with them dogs, those are hunting dogs, you'll make them soft'...course,
being 10, I didn't know what that meant, I thought they would eat me or
something, but I always went back out there the next time...and they always
seemed glad to see me...just my 2 cents...Until next time, Becky...

Old October 27th 03, 05:13 AM
Child

"Chris Williams" wrote in message
The radio is droning on and just reported something interesting: the
average age of hunters in 1980 was 35; now. it's 42. This concerns
various Fish and Game departments because they rely on hunters to
control over-population of deer and other species.
I've never really known how to feel about hunters. And about their
dogs. Those I knew when I was a kid really treated their dogs like
'tools', taking them out to train or hunt, then returning them to a
kennel where they spent the rest of their lives. It was considered
deleterious to treat them as pets. Has this changed?

Some people still think you need to keep a hunting dog outside, so its coat
gets thick enough. But I know many hunting dog owners whose dogs are every
bit as much a part of the household as mine are. I know at least 8 women at
the dog club who hunt with their dogs.