Last bit on pups

Old November 11th 03, 04:24 PM
Tricia9999

I do rather get my back up against the wall when generalizing about
kid like this. Especially since I am involved in Agility and some
of the best trainers happen to be Junior handlers.

I agree with this, but I think a family with a lot of kids should adopt a dog
already past the toothy, nightmare 9 week age. Puppies are a mistake I think.
It's like a new person to riding - put them on an experienced calm horse, not a
green one.

Old November 11th 03, 04:25 PM
Gwen Watson

Kind2dogs wrote:

I should have clarified. I feel that kids under 6 with puppies unless
supervised can hurtthepup, and lots of times Mom's do not have the time to take
care of all the young *pups*.

A chessie? I would think it would be most frequently the other way
around which would be the reason dog would be shunned to outside.

Now if we were talking papillion and or pom etc then yes small
kids should just *about* never have one of these. But there are many
small kids that are fairly responsible if raised properly. Of course
I admit that is probably a bit rare.

Most of my give ups are from people that got a pup and the pup got aggressive
,due to lack of socializing and training,or they did not have any time for them
,as the kids got bored with the dog.

I would venture to say *most* of your give-ups also came from unethical,
irresponsible breeders that did not interview and or take the time to evaluate
said home. Also the said breeder probably disappeared when the family
needed training tips. Ethical breeders do not often sell their pups
to homes with small kids.

I agree that
in many instances it can be a bad mix especially when or
if kids are under the age of 5. But again I have seen some
very awesome 10-12 year old junior handlers which
very much fall under the definition of children.

I feel a 12 year ols is pretty grown up and SHOULD be like a little adult.

I would have to say you haven't had any 12 year olds then. And why
should a 12 year old child be expected to be a adult like? I really think
kids grow up way too fast these days. If they should be adult like
than they should be able to do adult things as well. They aren't. Some
are very under developed as far as concentration and some responsibility.

I personally do not think even a 15 year old should be adult like most of
the time. JMO

Usually they get the pup for the kids, then by 6 months when the dog is

not
trained he/she goes outside,then the pup barks, so they move him further

away,
and then pretty soon they even forget to feed the dog. : (

Again I see this as bit too generalized.

Well Gwen, this is IME,of course.

I realize this.

I really do think the general
Public is becoming more and more dog saavy than ever before
and lots of people never do the above.

I wish I could agree with you.

Unfortunately I can't, as I see it happen all the time.

If you are not involved with rescue or work in a pound or shelter you never
know all the bad things that happen.

I have volunteered at a shelter. I have seen. I have also assisted with
Aussie rescue some as well as GSD, in the past. And what I have
seen is dogs being returned that were bred by BYB'ers. Even mixes
are similar as there are enough BYB that think a chow/pit cross
or chow/GSD cross or GSD/rottie cross is way cool and quite
the cheap selling point. The problem isn't so much the home
but the lack of education these people provide to the potential
home. But I understand you see a lot more than me, but I would
be willing to wager some bets these returns did not come
from an ethical breeder with a contract and application
and interview process.

But again it does
happen in some cases but typically it happens with small
children.

Well that is whatI am saying. It can a d does happen , just like anythign can
happen.

True.

One of our best friends has two fairly young
kiddos and a GSP that is adored by all. I think interviewing
is the key and ascertaining the level of dog knowledge.

Right

Indeed.

Gwen

Old November 11th 03, 04:26 PM
Gwen Watson

Tricia9999 wrote:

I do rather get my back up against the wall when generalizing about
kid like this. Especially since I am involved in Agility and some
of the best trainers happen to be Junior handlers.

I agree with this, but I think a family with a lot of kids should adopt a dog
already past the toothy, nightmare 9 week age. Puppies are a mistake I think.
It's like a new person to riding - put them on an experienced calm horse, not a
green one.

I agree with this Tricia. I definitely do.

Gwen

Old November 11th 03, 04:27 PM
Tricia9999

and lots of times Mom's do not have the time to take
care of all the young *pups*.

Right. Mom is usually the lifesaver in any situation. If she is overwhelmed
with all her parenting duties, the pup gets put on the back burner. I have a
friend who is a complete dog nut who has recently had a baby. She realizes how
much less attention her dog is getting - of course it is an infant, but it
happens with grade school kids too, I believe.