Ping: Melanie

Old January 5th 04, 04:19 PM
Robin Nuttall

Sionnach wrote:

Yes, PH does love the merle dogs and produces a lot of them.

Huh. I'd only seen the red-with-green-eyes ones; didn't realize she bred
merles, as well. Both of her mother's dogs are white with merle patches (one
blue, one red)- wonder if they're Paulena's breeding?

I also wonder if the dumpee I know was of her breeding; probably not,
since she was one of the earlier discards, and she's black-and-white.

Well she discards a lot I'm told. PH is just the kind of person I don't
like seeing do agility. From what I'm told she discards anything that
doesn't suit her, cares more about the sport than about the dogs. Of
course there's that whole "youngest dog to MACH" thing. Sorry, but I
think it's sad. There was a big ad in Clean Run this month about a
Sheltie, something like "2nd youngest MACH, youngest MACH 2, etc. etc.)
And I'm thinking ick, ick, ick!!

Old January 5th 04, 04:24 PM
Gwen Watson

Robin Nuttall wrote:

There was a big ad in Clean Run this month about a
Sheltie, something like "2nd youngest MACH, youngest MACH 2, etc. etc.)
And I'm thinking ick, ick, ick!!

And this was advertised in "Clean Run"? It sounds as though
they aren't really promoting longterm good health, ie joint
damage from starting before the growth plates have closed.
I can't even fathom the thought of a sport coming before
my dogs longterm health, which absolutely does include
their joints.

Gwen

Old January 5th 04, 06:08 PM
sionnach

"Robin Nuttall" wrote:

Well she discards a lot I'm told.
From what I'm told she discards anything that
doesn't suit her,

I have heard that from so many people- some of them people who don't do
AKC agility, a couple of them BC people who don't do agility at all- that
there's got to be some truth to it. (Bear in mind that PH is local to my
area, so lots of people I meet have had personal contact with her.) And as
mentioned, I know one dog first-hand, and know for a fact (because Paulena
herself has said so) that the dog was gotten rid of because she wasn't good
enough at agility
By coincidence, the dog's new owner occasionally brings her to one of
the parks where I exercise my guys. I mentioned doing agility, and the
owner made a face, then started telling me the story about her dog. IOW, as
soon as I mentioned agility, she volunteered the story. (BTW, at the time, I
had never heard of Paulena- so that was the FIRST thing I ever knew about
her. Of course I went to class and asked about her after that, and was told
"Oh yeah, she's a big AKC person.)
According to the person she got the dog from, Paulena took the dog to the
vet and said "Put her down, she'll never make
an agility dog."; the vet refused, and the dog ended up in rescue instead.
According to a news article that was published in the Baltimore Sun about a
year after I was told this story- an article based on an interview with
Paulena- this was the dog Paulena owned when her mother got her interested
in agility (1), the dog "went to live with a nice family down the road"
because she "didn't like agility", and Paulena replaced her with another dog
who started winning. (Yes, I'm sure it's the same dog; the name and time
frame match.)
Seems to me that the truth is probably somewhere between the two stories,
but equally obviously what Paulena told the newspaper reporter wasn't
accurate at all - unless the reporter was just told the dog was rehomed and
made up the rest. (Which is certainly possible! G )

Now, what *bothers* me about all this is the message that it sends to the
general public about agility competitors as a whole. The woman who owns
that first discard certainly had a low opinion of agility people - until I
explained to her that it's actually extremely rare for someone to get rid of
a dog because it's not going to be a "top" dog in agility, and that for most
people, their agility dogs are beloved companions first and foremost.
Plus, I had several people at the park ask me if it was common practice to
discard non-winning dogs after they read the article. I have to wonder how
many other people read that article, drew the same conclusion, and *didn't*
have any agility-doing acquaintances to ask about it. :-P

(1) Interesting factoid: Paulena's mother has been doing
NADAC and USDAA agility for years, and she's the one who got her interested
in the sport. I've been acquainted with her for ages- we've even been Relay
partners in USDAA- but had no idea they were related until last fall. G
(I
found out because Paulena came to a couple of NADAC trials and ran her
mother's younger dog for her.)

Of
course there's that whole "youngest dog to MACH" thing. Sorry, but I
think it's sad.

You and me both! As some tried to say in the recent discussion on
Agiledogs, even if *she's* a good enough trainer to do it without harm to
the dog - and doesn't bother with dogs who can't do things that fast- it's
not a distinction that people should be striving for.

There was a big ad in Clean Run this month about a
Sheltie, something like "2nd youngest MACH, youngest MACH 2, etc. etc.)
And I'm thinking ick, ick, ick!!

Ick indeed! You say this was an *ad*? What was it advertising?

Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 4 November 13th 03 04:42 PM
Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:02 PM
Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:02 PM
Ping: Melanie/ Dog "Tents" Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 0 August 10th 03 05:09 AM
Ping Melanie E-tags Sionnach Dog behavior 0 July 26th 03 06:57 PM