mange

Old November 19th 03, 12:57 AM
melinda

Default mange

Has anyone had any experience with treating mange in dogs? There is a
really sweet Cocker Spaniel at a shelter who is in danger of being put to
sleep. Someone just dropped him off at the night box at the shelter, and
the dog has mange. Is it contagious to other dogs? Would I have to keep
the dog in quarantine while she is being treated for it? I have 3 other
dogs that I have to think of too.

I don't know how much time this dog has left at the shelter. Please help if
you have any knowledge/experience of this disease.

Thanks.
Mindy

Old November 19th 03, 02:37 AM
ZPL

Do you know which type of mange? One is very contagious, one is more of an
immune system problem.

Old November 19th 03, 02:58 AM
melinda

No, sorry, I don't, but I'll try to find out from the shelter tomorrow.
Since posting my original message to the group, I did find some material on
the Internet and learned that there are several types of mange.

Thanks!
Mindy

Old November 20th 03, 12:32 AM
melinda

Kim,
Thanks for your kind words. I've been helping out with dog transport from
animal shelters for the last year and am convinced that shelter dogs make
such great pets. I wish I could adopt them all........

Mindy

"Kim/Dreamspinner3" wrote in message
I just wanted to say BLESS YOU for even considering adopting this poor
dog! Adopting a dog with an unknown history from the dog pound or
from a shelter can be a challange--I know, I've done it--let alone one
with a health problem. I hope that, if you do adopt this dog,
everything goes 100% A-OK for you and him!

Old November 20th 03, 09:29 AM
sue sanchez

"melinda" wrote in message ...
Has anyone had any experience with treating mange in dogs?

There are two types of mange, one is caused by an extremely contagious
mite, the other is not contagious but rather is the increase in number
of a normally occurring mite because of immune system deficiency.

Both are treated the same way however. The traditional treatment is
dipping in lime sulfur solution. Unfortunately, mites have developed
resistance to this.

The second treatment is the injection of a cattle insecticide Ivomec
(1% Ivermectin solution). The dosage is critical: too little and the
mites will not be eliminated, too much and the dog may die.

Old December 27th 04, 02:01 AM

If you just leave the mange alone it will eventually go away at first
it will get worse then after about 2 or 3 week you will see it go away
slowly, my vet said that the treatments can kill the animal or it could
make it go away and then it would probably come back after 4 weeks the
way i look at it it is free and if you leave it alone it goes away
faster

Hope I could help!
RonnieT.