Female Dog Aggressive toward Male dog?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th 12, 09:09 PM
Junior Member

Question Female Dog Aggressive toward Male dog?

Sorry this is a little long, but I only included what I thought was important.

I have two yorkies, one is a 7 lb, 5 year old female (not fixed) the other is a 3lb 2 year old male(neutered). The male has been with us since birth as my mom is a breeder and we were living with her when he was born.

****This is starred because I feel it's important for you to know what I mean by "attacked", she mostly just stands over him growling, occasionally she has grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and shook him but she has NEVER hurt him or bitten at him in a harmful manner. It mostly seems 'corrective'. I still wish for it to stop, as she's LITERALLY scaring the pee and poo out of my male(he wets and poos himself EVERY time).

The female just recently started becoming aggressive with the male dog. I believe this can be contributed to a prey instinct and my own doing but am looking for other opinions and options.

The female is very prey aggressive, this started some time after she chased down her 2nd mouse in the back yard. (No, I did not condone this, she's very fast. She didn't get any diseases either, I had her checked and they both are up to date on shots.) I thought this could have been a factor at first because the male is so small.

I don't think it's a dominance issue because she submits to me as soon as she realizes she's in trouble (flops over and shows her tummy and neck). She also releases the male as soon as I touch her or say her name, I don't even have to pull them apart. He also submits to her quiet easily.

I think she thinks that I'M trying to be aggressive towards him and takes over for me. The first time, she was sitting in my lap and I accidentally pushed her off me and on to him. For the next 3 days she would randomly attack him. I corrected her by asserting my dominance immediately after each attack (I made her submit and kneeled over her, gently holding her throat). Then after 3 days of this everything just stopped and went back to normal.

Then I moved and the first 2 weeks were great, but my male dog took to my roommate and started sleeping with her. One morning (just like always) she put him in here, but tried to wake me up too (not a usual occurrence).

My female jumped off the bed and attacked him, I jumped up and corrected her. She backed off, but again she would randomly attack him for the rest of the day.

Then that night they seemed fine and they BOTH actually submitted to each other and were playing and I thought everything was fine again. Then we left my room, and I scared the male dog by accident on the way to the bathroom and again she attacked. He ran under my roommates bed and I corrected her.

They didn't see each other until this morning. They submitted to each other again but seem wary of each other this time. They are sleeping on the bed and the female seems to be trying to cozy up to him.

I took them for their daily walk (1 1/2 miles) and we just got back a few minutes ago. They seemed fine during the walk, both heeled and walked great. I have one of those portable water bottle/bowls and they drank at the same time without issue like normal. Now they are asleep next to each other, and seem fine.

Still, I want to nip this in the bud before it becomes a common or frequent issue. Does anyone have any better idea as to what's going on in my females head and what I need to do to correct it? Thanks!!