Accident, Broken Hip, now Throwing up all food

Old August 29th 03, 03:10 AM
darrell graham

Default Accident, Broken Hip, now Throwing up all food

About two months ago my Pitbull mix got out and was hit by a car on
the nearby freeway. Her left hip was broken in three places. The vet
was able to put it back together and she is starting to walk on it
again. There was apparently some nerve damage, and she drags her foot
on the ground alot. Lately she can run short distances using all four
legs when motivated. She seems to be recovering pretty well except for
one thing. Everything we feed her she throws up. She will eat maybe
half her food and then start heaving convulsively until she throws-up
what she has eaten covered with slime. She doesn't have any problem
eating it again of course. Just lovely to watch. She will sometimes
have to eat it three or four times to keep it down. Even a dog biscuit
can set her off. It seems to come and go though, because she sometimes
eats and only dry-heaves, keeping her food down. We have fed her
chicken with rice twice a day her whole life (6 years), because she
had Parvo as a puppy. We have tried pureeing her food and putting her
food on an elevated surface as the vet told us, but it was no good.
One wierd thing is that she seems to throw up more and harder if we
watch her. If we put her outside and listen at the window, that's when
she sometimes doesn't throw-ip. It doesn't seem to be getting any
better and I don't know what to do. The $2000 for her hip surgery
cleaned us out. The vet has suggested that we give her a barium x-ray
to see if she has damage to her throat, but that doesn't seem right.
If she had an injury in her throat, it seems we would see some side
effects by now. Infection, bloody stool, etc. My dog is fine except
after she eats, and then she is miserable. How could getting hit by a
car have this effect when she was hit on the hip?
Old August 29th 03, 03:32 AM
Sharon

Vet husband suggested that it could be unrelated to the accident. Or, it
could be due to a stricture from scar tissue. Event hough the hip was
injured, a good jolt from a car can jar the insides pretty good.

Does your vet have an endoscope? That would probably be the first choice of
diagnosis at our office.

-Sharon

Old August 29th 03, 03:32 AM
Sharon

[...]

dog food from manufacture Serebryanyy Vlad Dog activities 0 December 1st 03 06:24 PM
Food Change? radionutz Dog health 4 August 31st 03 07:14 PM
Dogs & food scraps? Mark/Shell Dog health 12 August 17th 03 10:11 PM
Wet Food vs Dry Food GAUBSTER2 Dog health 41 August 17th 03 01:26 AM
Buffalo Blue Dog food Humanhere2 Dog health 13 August 14th 03 03:32 PM