Safe tie-downs for crates in car?

Old June 7th 05, 02:30 AM
Robin Nuttall

Melanie L Chang wrote:

Said vehicle is a Honda Element, by the way!

Yay for you!

Old June 7th 05, 03:11 AM

Melanie L Chang wrote:
I am finally going to have a vehicle that I can put a crate in. I plan
to keep one wire crate (36") set up more or less permanently in it. Have
no desire to build a platform to mount the crate on. I don't think
bungies will cut it. What do I need to use to tie down the crate so that
it won't move around when I drive and will anchor the crate for safety
purposes?

I like straps with cam buckles for stuff like that - you can
cinch those down pretty tightly if your webbing doesn't
stretch.

Congrats on the car - I really like those.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related
Old June 7th 05, 06:16 AM
Rocky

Melanie L Chang said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What do I need to use to tie down the crate so that
it won't move around when I drive and will anchor the crate
for safety purposes?

Ratchet straps.

Said vehicle is a Honda Element, by the way!

Cool! I think that it has places you can attach ratchet straps.

Old June 7th 05, 01:19 PM

on 2005-06-07 at 05:16 wrote:

Ratchet straps.

a-ha! i shoulda known those things had a name.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 7th 05, 01:40 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

Rocky wrote in
:

Melanie L Chang said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What do I need to use to tie down the crate so that
it won't move around when I drive and will anchor the crate
for safety purposes?

Ratchet straps.

Most big-box hardware stores would have them. If you were in Canada I would
suggest Canadian Tire, but you aren't.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old June 7th 05, 05:38 PM
bethgsd

Melanie wrote:

I think if I squeezed Solo into a smaller crate (32" or 30", which he
will fit into but I like to give him more space) and got the special
narrow crates that are supposed to go into SUVs I MIGHT be able to put
two side by side in back without taking the seats out, but that's a big

if. (Or a big might.)

Will report back as soon as it's in my hot little hands. This makes up

for my family not coming to my graduation!

This is bizarre. I was wondering this weekend what type of car you had
decided on and hadn't gotten around to sending a post asking.
Some friends of mine use the SUV crates in their Sienna. They have
plenty of room for their Polish Lowland Sheepdogs, so I suppose they
would work nicely for the border collies. If you have a chance to get
near VA Beach before you move check out Care-a-Lot. Good prices if you
don't have to pay for the shipping.
That is too bad about the family not making it to your graduation.

Beth

Old June 8th 05, 02:49 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Melanie L Chang" wrote in message
Shelly & The Boys ) wrote:

: You'll have to report how you like it, and whether or not you think you

can
: get
: a 36" crate, and maybe the next size down in there.

You definitely can. I brought a med/large Cabana Crate to the dealership
with me when I test drove on Sunday (they looked at me funny -- the
salesguy could not believe someone would have three dogs voluntarily).
It's slightly shorter and slightly wider than the 36" Midwest I want to
set up in there. You can fit one 36" with the door facing the back, and
one sideways with the door facing the suicide doors, if the back seats are
put up. With the seats flipped up but still in, I would be able to put a
small crate (24") next to the 36" facing the back. There's also enough
space under the ceiling that I could put the small crate (for Skeeter) on
top of the large crate if I wanted to, but I don't know how stable that
would be.

Awesome...I already have 2 of the 36" Midwests, one of which is the 2-door
(one front, one side) model. I plan to mount them into the car I end
up with, since I rarely carry passengers (except for the occasional one in
the front). Bodhi can ride in the next size down, but I don't like him to
stay
in it for longer than a ride. But, the next Belgian could potentially be a
bitch,
so the smaller size would work (I'm not being picky about gender--either
would work).
Anticipating the report after you've had time to gather an opinion!
Shelly & The Boys