Question for breeders

Old July 11th 03, 07:31 PM
Tara O.

Default Question for breeders

We've got a bitch with a litter of 5 pups coming out of a shelter tomorrow.
The pups were born Thursday night and so far all have survived which is
great. We've got a plastic kiddie pool to use as a whelping box until the
pups are able to climb out. My question is twofold:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet her own
nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

2. How to affix different colored ribbons to the pups to keep them
identified without tying them? I know alot of breeders use the different
colored ribbons around the pups' necks but don't know if they are taped
around, tied, or what.

--
Tara

Old July 11th 03, 07:38 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Tara O." wrote in
:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet
her own nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

I am not a vet (nor do I play one on TV), but the vet that Gen's parents
went to when their bitch was pregnant suggested hard-boiled eggs. IIRC,
they are high in protein.

2. How to affix different colored ribbons to the pups to keep them
identified without tying them? I know alot of breeders use the
different colored ribbons around the pups' necks but don't know if
they are taped around, tied, or what.

Now this may be out there, but how about a dab of paint or something else
like that??

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'Dain Bramaged.'

Old July 11th 03, 07:39 PM
Gwen Watson

Marcel Beaudoin wrote:

"Tara O." wrote in
:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet
her own nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

I am not a vet (nor do I play one on TV), but the vet that Gen's parents
went to when their bitch was pregnant suggested hard-boiled eggs. IIRC,
they are high in protein.

Also cottage cheese is often used. As well as high quality
live yogurt.

Gwen

Old July 11th 03, 07:49 PM
Christy

"Tara O." wrote in message

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet her

own
nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

Not a breeder, but - how about a good quality puppy food?

2. How to affix different colored ribbons to the pups to keep them
identified without tying them? I know alot of breeders use the different
colored ribbons around the pups' necks but don't know if they are taped
around, tied, or what.

Try nail polish, either on a pup's toes or a spot on the rump, different
color or different spot for each pup. Some folks use rick-rack or colored
elastic, and glue it, but you have to be careful it isn't too loose (can
catch on things) or too tight as pups grow.

Christy

Old July 11th 03, 07:54 PM
avocado

Maybe you could go to a fabric store and get different colors of ribbon, and
then stitch Velcro (also sold at fabric stores) to the ends of the ribbon as
closures. Would that work?

Old July 11th 03, 09:02 PM
Bichon.ca

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:31:25 -0400, "Tara O."
wrote:

We've got a bitch with a litter of 5 pups coming out of a shelter tomorrow.
The pups were born Thursday night and so far all have survived which is
great. We've got a plastic kiddie pool to use as a whelping box until the
pups are able to climb out. My question is twofold:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet her own
nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

Puppy chow (food) is good, my veterinarian recommends it.

2. How to affix different colored ribbons to the pups to keep them
identified without tying them? I know alot of breeders use the different
colored ribbons around the pups' necks but don't know if they are taped
around, tied, or what.

Loosely tie a thin ribbon around the neck, not to loose you want them
to stay on, check them often so they do not get tight.
I would not recommend paint, glue, nail polish or other such products
the puppies could ingest these types of products. The puppies bodies
are small and developing very fast even small amounts could have
adverse affects.

http://Bichon.ca/

Old July 11th 03, 09:34 PM
culprit

"Tara O." wrote in message
We've got a bitch with a litter of 5 pups coming out of a shelter

tomorrow.
The pups were born Thursday night and so far all have survived which is
great. We've got a plastic kiddie pool to use as a whelping box until the
pups are able to climb out. My question is twofold:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet her

own
nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

no personal experience here... but my vet book says to feed a pregnant or
lactating bitch puppy food.

-kelly

Old July 11th 03, 09:54 PM
Kathleen

Tara O. wrote:
We've got a bitch with a litter of 5 pups coming out of a shelter tomorrow.
The pups were born Thursday night and so far all have survived which is
great. We've got a plastic kiddie pool to use as a whelping box until the
pups are able to climb out. My question is twofold:

1. What to feed a nursing bitch to keep her healthy and able to meet her own
nutrition demands as well as those of the pups?

There are others here with more recent experience than mine, but we fed
our mama dog puppy chow - as much as she wanted, whenever she wanted
it, and plenty of fresh water. Also, raw marrow bones, and whatever
veggies the rest of us were having for dinner (aside from onions, or
deep fried anything).

2. How to affix different colored ribbons to the pups to keep them
identified without tying them? I know alot of breeders use the different
colored ribbons around the pups' necks but don't know if they are taped
around, tied, or what.

Food coloring - comes in red, green blue, yellow and orange. Our pups
were BCs, with white ruffs, so we just put a splotch of dye on the back
of the neck. Lasts for days, no fumes while it's drying, and if mama
decides to lick it, it's harmless.

Kathleen

Old July 12th 03, 12:27 AM
KWBrown

"Christy" wrote in message ...

Try nail polish, either on a pup's toes or a spot on the rump, different
color or different spot for each pup. Some folks use rick-rack or colored
elastic, and glue it, but you have to be careful it isn't too loose (can
catch on things) or too tight as pups grow.

Long before Storm was "Affinity Easy Sailing" or "Stormy," or
"Sillybitch" or any of those other names, she was "Left Hip Girl" for
the place where her nail polish spot was. It was a foolproof way to
keep the six girls (all solid black) in this litter sorted out.

I had forgotten about that. Maybe I'll call her "Left Hip Girl"
tonight and see what happens :-)

Kate

Chihuahua question Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 2 July 15th 03 02:00 AM
Question on breed Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 30 July 11th 03 03:01 PM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM
Question about ears [email protected] Dog breeds 0 July 6th 03 05:12 PM