Parvo

Old December 26th 06, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GFS

Default Parvo

I recently lost a Pomeranian puppy to Parvo and would like to replace
it. However my understanding is the Virus is difficult to kill and is
tough on puppy's in particular. We have a large house on a half ace and
have bleached or disinfected everything we could. I know that a Puppy
will surely go places we did not get and am wondering if waiting to a
certain age to bring one home or doing regular booster shots would
prevent hurting another puppy.

Thank you
Old December 26th 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:34:26 GMT, GFS wrote:

I recently lost a Pomeranian puppy to Parvo and would like to replace
it. However my understanding is the Virus is difficult to kill and is
tough on puppy's in particular. We have a large house on a half ace and
have bleached or disinfected everything we could. I know that a Puppy
will surely go places we did not get and am wondering if waiting to a
certain age to bring one home or doing regular booster shots would
prevent hurting another puppy.

Can you only allow the puppy to be in certain areas of your house/yard
until he has had enough booster shots to be safe? I wouldn't let the
puppy roam the entire house and yard because I don't see how it would
be possible to get everything in that large an area absolutely
disinfected. But you can absolutely disinfect, say, a couple of rooms
in the house and a small potty spot in the yard. Then keep the dog
confined to only those rooms and that potty spot until all the
complete shot series has been completed. I think adult dogs can get
parvo, too, and it is more a function of getting all the shots than
the age of the dog, though of course the older the dog and mature the
immune system, the less likely the parvo will be as severe.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old December 29th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

"GFS" wrote in message
I recently lost a Pomeranian puppy to Parvo and would like to replace
it. However my understanding is the Virus is difficult to kill and is
tough on puppy's in particular. We have a large house on a half ace and
have bleached or disinfected everything we could. I know that a Puppy
will surely go places we did not get and am wondering if waiting to a
certain age to bring one home or doing regular booster shots would
prevent hurting another puppy.

Thank you

"Replace" "it"?

Can you get one on sale at K-mart?

Parvo and Distemper Mali More Dog behavior 13 February 2nd 05 01:47 AM
Parvo Question NGCamacho Dog behavior 2 January 11th 04 09:26 AM
Parvo Question NGCamacho Dog behavior 0 January 11th 04 02:50 AM
Parvo / vaccination questions Tracy Custer Dog health 4 August 16th 03 05:59 PM
Parvo / vaccination questions Tracy Custer Dog health 0 August 16th 03 05:15 AM