Female Dog Aggressive toward Male dog?

Old April 22nd 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Female Dog Aggressive toward Male dog?

amesnatlzoo wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Kaygie0610 wrote:
She was sitting in my lap and I stood up. She Lounged off of me and
onto him a pretty far distance. There is no way she thought he was
attacking her, it was a clear attack on him.

I'm making her submit to me, because I am the pack alpha. Dog's have
to have guidance and chain of command.

You control access to food, shelter, warmth, safety, and pretty much
every other essential resource. Exactly what do you think you have to
prove?

If you're regularly making a big deal out of minor infractions, of
course she's learned that that's the behavior you expect. Not rocket
science here - even the dog has it figured out.

The female dog is a 7lb muscle machine, and the male is barely
3lbs and doesn't even come up to her shoulders.

Size difference (other than the humans) here is 12.5 lbs to 65 lbs. I
haven't gone out of my way to demonstrate dominance over any of 'em.
Why would I? They know who's got the big crinkly brain and opposable
thumbs.

LOL! 9 lb cat, alpha of the 4foots. 28 lb deaf dog, next in line. 56
lb dog, gets walked on by all but the fish.

Most recent addition was the 28 lb dog and it took the cat about 1 day
to make it clear 'if you want this comfy spot in MY home, you better
learn to love cats'. The only battle the deaf dog won on the cat, was
not to sneak up and startle her because she barks then and startles the
cat.

If I let them work it out A) that tells the female that she is pack
leader

Nonsense. A decent pack leader takes no notice of the insignificant
doings of underlings. A super pack leader will even refuse to
acknowledge direct challenges. Nothing deflates a wannabe quite so
much as being ignored, just as nothing destabilizes a pack quicker
than an erratic, insecure alpha.

Hehe that *so* describes the cat and the 28 lb dog. If Aunti Mabel gets
'uppity' the cat ignores her ass but will saunter to one of Aunti's
pillows and 'cat furrify it well' then saunter off. Next time Aunti
uses that one, she smells like a cat. She 'gets it' right away
(snicker).

... B) she could very well get
carried away and severely hurt - if not kill - him.

Yep, that would be one reason to interfere. You said you can stop her
with a word. Do it. She stops, life continues. No need to make a
huge deal out of it.

Yup. *IF* she can stop her with a word. Seems from the posts that is
bravado not truth.

...I do not believe it has anything
to do with taking my position as pack Alpha seriously.

Other than as a poor example to the other members of your pack, you
mean?

Also she is NOT fear aggressive,

No, she's resource guarding, redirecting, and learning from your
example.

Humm! Good point.