Black Gold dog food thoughts?

Old September 30th 03, 08:58 PM
Peter Crosby

Default Black Gold dog food thoughts?

I bought a bag of Black Gold dog food and my husky likes it ok but I'm
wondering if anyone who knows more about food has thoughts about it's being
as good as Science diet. Any thoughts? www.blackgolddogfood.com

Old October 1st 03, 12:53 AM

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:58:53 -0700 Peter Crosby whittled these words:
I bought a bag of Black Gold dog food and my husky likes it ok but I'm
wondering if anyone who knows more about food has thoughts about it's being
as good as Science diet. Any thoughts? www.blackgolddogfood.com

Saying something is "as good as Science diet" isn't really much of a
goal. Personally I'd feed lots of things, including some grocery store
brands, before I'd feed Science diet. Science diet is designed as a food
for labratory dogs. Its primary advantage is consistency in formulation.
It is a "good enough" food. Virtually any dog food that meets the AFFCO
guidelines (which all mainstream types do) will have sufficient nutrition
for the dog. The decision making in deciding what food to feed involves
in no small part your philosophy and feelings.

For example, I avoid corn in the formulation. Not because I think corn
is bad for all dogs, but simply because I like the results of most
non-corn diets more than I like the results of many corn included diets.
I believe a lot of dogs don't do well with corn, but that doesn't apply
to *every* dog.

Choosing the best food for your dog can be a pain because it takes 6 to 8
weeks for differences in coat, allegic reactions, etc to become
noticeable.

Looking at the ingredients and information on the blackgold website I'd
say it is pretty comparable to Science diet. The market seems
compareable too. It is more directed toward kennel dogs than household
pets.

One factor in evaluating dog foods is deteriming how the caloric values
are determined. One way is by burning and measuring the amount of heat
produced. That gives us the standard "calorie"
http://members.aol.com/ScienzFair/foodcal.htm
http://www.ansc.purdue.edu/courses/a...ation/bombcal/

The problem is that the stomach does not set fire to food. What energy
is derived from the food depends not merely upon its calorie count but
also on the ability of the body to break down and make use of the
energy. If the body can't digest it, it has no metabolizable Calories.
To deterimine metabolizable calories the energy of the food prior to
digestion is measured against the energy remaining in the waste discarded
by the body. So one way of comparing foods is to look at their relative
metabolizable calories.

http://www.webdesignpros.net/wellness/calories.html

That isn't sufficient. That tells you about the efficiency of the food
in providing energy to your dog. But you then have to look at protein,
fat and carbohydrate levels, as well as other nutrients to learn what is
about right for your dog given its activity level.

Most of us add a decidedly non-scientific bent to the process of choosing
a food. Since I know everything will be adequate I choose next based on
my own sensibilities of preferring cleaner, fresher ingredients even if I
can't prove it makes a difference in health. It makes ME feel better,
and it isn't harmful to the dog regardless of the lack of scientific
evidence. Similarly I will choose a food that I *think* my dogs do well
on - nice coats, not gassy, poop nicely formed not too hard or too soft
etc. It doesn't really matter that I'm not keeping double blind
scientific records. I'm hapy and as long as the dogs are healthy I'll be
happy.

Diane Blackman
Old October 1st 03, 04:42 AM
Jo Wolf

AS it's a small batch food and Science foods are large batch foods, I
suspect the Black Gold is as good or better.... probably fresher.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia