MY LOVING LHASA APSO AND DIABETES

Old January 31st 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
meteore

Default MY LOVING LHASA APSO AND DIABETES

I feel compelled to share my story about having to put my best friend
for eleven years, a 29 pound female lhasa Apso to sleep. I bought her
from a respectable breeder when she was six months old and weighed 22
pounds. She was big for her breed and people thought she was a Tibetan
terrier..

She always had plenty of energy and loved to walk. she barked briefly
at everybody she saw. She was saying hello. Years ago, when she was
about a year old, people were admiring shoes at a old fashioned wrap
around store window and I told her to say hello. She barked and the
people nearly jumped out of their clothes. Since then she never
stopped.

She was always friendly with other dogs, except she knew when dogs
were menacing and avoided them. She loved children and enjoyed playing
with them.

She was faithful and loving, allowed you to do any kind of grooming,
cleaning or administer any eye drops, which she recently needed, acct
mucous forming. She would attempt to eat off my wife's plate, because
I spoiled her by giving her treats.

You had to watch how you talked, because she semed to understand
english. She would run in from the bedroom, when she heard something,
like being hungry, going in car etc.
She would come over to me at about supper time and sit in front of me
and tap me with her paw to start cooking supper, even though her food
was already there.
We gave her raw vegetables and fruit. Years ago we gave her cheese and
pasta and that I think caused her toget calcium stones in bladder and
a subsequent operation to remove them.

A few days ago she made me take her out frequently at all hours by
scratching bed and when she came back she would consume a large amount
of water. I took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with diabetes
and a urinary infection, which I missed, as I thought it was a anal
gland problem. She had a very strong heart the doctor said.

My wife being ill herself and needing around the clock care and
awaiting entrance to a hospital, I felt I could not cope with two
problems and the stringent care the dog would need and other problems
developing because of diabetes.

I had her put to sleep and I am heartbroken. She was the best dog I
ever had and cannot say anything bad about her.

I am a senior and not in any rush to get another dog. Since Lhasa
Apsos really only come in small sizes, I was thinking after my wifes
problems are resolved I was thinking of getting a tibetan terrier or
Soft coated wheaton terrier, my Lhasa's feet hurt her when walking in
the cold.

I am in a appartment (Condo) and I do not think it is suitable for a
very large breed.

I wish I could have cloned my pet, but that is impossible at the
present time.

What other breeds do you think are affectionate, gentle and
intelligent and suitable for my situation?

Meteore
Old February 2nd 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"meteore" wrote in message
[...]

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Since your wife has health problems
that require so much of your time, it would seem you made the right
decision. When the care can be given, Diabetes can be managed in animals.
Your special friend is in a much better place having crossed over the
Rainbow Bridge and will be waiting to see you again. Since she had pain in
her feet, you did the right thing and I am sure she thanks you. She will
always live in your heart.
Petey's Mom

Old February 3rd 09, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shari and Dakota

Meteore,

I pray for your wife's health problems to be resolved. I know it must
be hard for you right now. You sound like a loving husband, and a
loving dog dad. If you have any doubts about the afterlife of your
beloved friend, I will share this story... Sad story but it has a
happy spot.

Many moons ago I had two cats, Sunshine and Hadji. Sunshine was 17,
Hadji was 11. They were housecats, they did not go outdoors, although
Sunshine had been allowed outdoors in her earlier years. That's a
different story why I stopped letting her out.

Any road Sunshine died one morning, at home naturally. I went out and
dug a hole in the backyard and I buried her, and I piled rocks on it
so critters wouldn't mess with it.

The next morning I woke up really early, normally I'm not an early
bird. But for some reason I woke at something like 6:30 am. I went
into the kitchen for coffee and looked out the back window, it
overlooked the backyard. I saw a cat laying on Sunshine's grave. How
odd, a cat laying on this pile of rocks? I'd never seen the cat
before, and I never saw it again.

A couple of days later I was sitting on the loveseat reading a book.
I get very engrossed when I read, I go into that other world and I am
no longer in this one. I wasn't thinking cats or anything this-
worldly. Out of nowhere I heard a loud purring up behind my head.
The cats both liked to sleep on top of the sofa pillows that I leaned
back on, so a cat up behind my head was normal.

I twisted around to pet Hadji, who I assumed had been snoozing up
there near me. But Hadji wasn't there. Okay, I heard him, plain as
day I heard him purring. I got up and looked around, where did he
go? He was just here... but there was no sign of him.

I searched the house and found him SOUND asleep on the bed. There was
no way he'd been up behind my head purring. Hadji was sleeping so
soundly, it was obvious he'd been there a good long while.

I absolutely believe it was Sunshine I heard purring that day.
Telling me she was okay someplace. That her spirit lived on and was
sending me a happy goodbye.

Not only do we live on, so do they.

---
Dogs and bears, sports and cars, and patriots t-shirts
http://www.villagetshirts.com
WlND0WS and MAClNT0SH shareware games
http://www.gypsyware.com

Old February 4th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Dale Atkin

"meteore" wrote...
A few days ago she made me take her out frequently at all hours by
scratching bed and when she came back she would consume a large amount
of water. I took her to the vet and they diagnosed her with diabetes
and a urinary infection, which I missed, as I thought it was a anal
gland problem. She had a very strong heart the doctor said.

My wife being ill herself and needing around the clock care and
awaiting entrance to a hospital, I felt I could not cope with two
problems and the stringent care the dog would need and other problems
developing because of diabetes.

I had her put to sleep and I am heartbroken. She was the best dog I
ever had and cannot say anything bad about her.

It sounds like you were in a really tough situation, but that she had a
wonderful, and well loved life. It can be very hard to take care of them
when they start developing concurrent problems. (Other than the diabetes and
the urinary infection, you mention the 'strong heart', I wonder if the vet
may be been indicating a problem here too. An overworked heart can have a
tendency to enlarge under the higher work load)

I am a senior and not in any rush to get another dog. Since Lhasa
Apsos really only come in small sizes, I was thinking after my wifes
problems are resolved I was thinking of getting a tibetan terrier or
Soft coated wheaton terrier, my Lhasa's feet hurt her when walking in
the cold.

I am in a appartment (Condo) and I do not think it is suitable for a
very large breed.

I wish I could have cloned my pet, but that is impossible at the
present time.

What other breeds do you think are affectionate, gentle and
intelligent and suitable for my situation?

I think a lot of how a dog turns out is a reflection of how they are cared
for. You gave her a lot, which she gave back to you multiplied.

Dale

Old February 5th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
meteore

Dale,

Regarding the strong heart, the dog was walked ofton, about two miles
a day, except in winter. Her feet could not stand the ice cold
pavement. I bought those winter shoes and they kept falling off.

I am thinking of getting a soft coated wheaton terrier or a Tibetan
terrier in the spring or early summer. Are you familiar with these
breeds? I think they are more hardy.

Rescue is not an option for these breeds here in Montreal, as they are
not available.

The SPCA here in Montreal has plenty of dogs, but I am afraid of
getting a sick and/or abused dog. and vet bills don't come cheap.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting.

Roger
Old February 25th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"meteore" wrote in message
Dale,

Regarding the strong heart, the dog was walked ofton, about two miles
a day, except in winter. Her feet could not stand the ice cold
pavement. I bought those winter shoes and they kept falling off.

I am thinking of getting a soft coated wheaton terrier or a Tibetan
terrier in the spring or early summer. Are you familiar with these
breeds? I think they are more hardy.

Rescue is not an option for these breeds here in Montreal, as they are
not available.

The SPCA here in Montreal has plenty of dogs, but I am afraid of
getting a sick and/or abused dog. and vet bills don't come cheap.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting.

Roger

Meteore,
I have read all the posts here. I feel for your loss...We have to remember
these little angels in fur are loaned to us.
You asked about a Wheaton Terier. I am new to the puppy world and have a 14
mo. old Wheaton Schnauzer. I am not sure that is the same as a Wheaton
Terrier. Petey weighs 22 lbs. and is a very active handfull. I am a senior
also, and have trouble walking Petey. He has a nice fenced yard to run
around in. He is rather barky, which can be very annoying I think he is
ADD--at least as far as his attention span goes. Birds and other cats drive
him nuts. I would think in your situation, a small dog about 10-15 lbs.
would be easier to handle. That is what I thought I had...a Miniture
Schnauzer, but not to be.
I hope your wife is well soon.
Shirley

Old February 25th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

"Shari and Dakota" wrote in message
[...]

I have a similar story to tell. Many years ago, my beloved cat Fang
developed Cancer at the age of 17. He was my best pal who I took in as a
stray. We had about 4 other cats at the time. I finally gave into the
Cancer and had to have Fang put to sleep. It was the first time I had to
deal with anything like that. I was totally heartbroken at losing him.
About 2 weeks later in the morning and was not thinking about much of
anything. I was sitting at the table having my coffee when all of a sudden
there was a cat running thru the room. I thought why did Tiger do that? I
found Tiger and the other cats in the kitchen eating. Right up to the very
end, Fang tried to eat with the other cats, but could not hold anything
down. It only happened once and that was enough for me to know all of us,
including our pets do live on in another dimension. I know it took alot of
strength for Fang to show himself to let me know his is alright. I once
asked my vet if he hears from clients that they have seen their former pets
and he said yes. At first when I asked the question, there was a long pause
as if he was not sure if he should answer or not.. This is not a subject
that can be talked about casualy. I still miss each and everyone of my
furry friends..both cats and dogs.
Shirley

Old July 16th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Wednesday, February 25, 2009 at 10:36:22 AM UTC-7, S.Smith wrote:
"meteore" wrote in message
[...]

I would not have put her down,she was family, plus I wouldn't get another dog due to age and possibly having to leave them
Old April 7th 19, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

"meteore" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Mbolin,

When you read messages on google, be careful to note the date. Takes a
bit of sorting I gather.

In this long ago case, I would hav recommended checking the local
rescues for an 'elder to elder' dog (free normally). This is a dog age
13+ often and they make fine happy pets for people who are in a
situation like this.

We just had to have our 13 yo beagle mix assisted over the bridge last
week. Cancer and it came up suddenly with no warning (passed blood
work in Feb fine on checkup). Multiple organs involved.

When our heart heals, we will be looking for another rescue to pair
with our 16yo blind beagle and 20+yo cat. We'll be looking in the 12
and up ages.