Potty Training Shichon

Old January 20th 05, 04:30 PM
gats

Default Potty Training Shichon

Hi all,

I have a 13 weeks old shichon. Me and my wife work full time, so we
leave him in a room with lots of toys, rawhide bone, kong ,etc and
potty pads. He seems to adjust fine to the idea of potty pads. Then at
night we move potty pads to the bathroom and when ever he gets excited
in his crate, we take him to the bathroom and he does fine there too.

But the problem is, how to train him to go outside. I have started
taking him out for last 2 days in the morning and at night after meals.
He does not go outside, even if I keep potty pads outside. Yesterday we
spent 30 minutes, and then he came back and spoiled the floor. And
making trips down after every 10 minutes is not feasible as we live on
14th floor apartment building.

He has to go inside on potty pads during day time when no one is at
home. But we are trying to take him outside in the morning, and at
night and also on weekends. So basically we want him to do
inside/outside both. Is it even feasible?

Thanks,
Gats

Old January 20th 05, 07:50 PM
Child

"gats" wrote in message
ups.com...
| Hi all,
|
| I have a 13 weeks old shichon. Me and my wife work full time, so we
| leave him in a room with lots of toys, rawhide bone, kong ,etc and
| potty pads. He seems to adjust fine to the idea of potty pads. Then at
| night we move potty pads to the bathroom and when ever he gets excited
| in his crate, we take him to the bathroom and he does fine there too.

What is a shichon? Is that some sort of dog?

Its somewhat possible to have a dog that uses pee pads, and goes outside.
But mostly dogs who are trained to use pee pads just use peepads.

Old January 20th 05, 08:17 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"Child" wrote in news:10uvvdgsmq6hic8
@corp.supernews.com:

What is a shichon? Is that some sort of dog?

I would guess a Bichon Frisee (sp??)/Shih-tzu puppymill creation.

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old January 20th 05, 08:27 PM
Alison

"gats" wrote in message
[...]

It's confusing for him and also if he is not taken outside very
often, he could find the outside world strange and frightening and not
be able to concentrate on going to the toilet.
13 weeks is too young for a pup to be left alone all day; he will be
lonely and bored on his own. Have you thought about having someone
call in during the day?
Alison

Old January 20th 05, 08:42 PM
gats

Shichon is shitzu/bichon mix.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shichon.htm

We took couple of days vacation initially to be with him. We will have
a dog walker from probably next week. And we also have a kitte, and
they both get along really well. But the dog is in a seperate room when
we are not there, just in case!

The main problem is whenever I take him outside, he his not very
excited about it I think. Whenever I make him stand on a spot I want
him to relieve himself, he intead tries to jump on me and hide between
my legs. And in walking as well, he walks between my legs or behind me.
I don;t think he enjoys the walks!

Old January 20th 05, 09:22 PM

on 2005-01-20 at 11:42 wrote:

Shichon is shitzu/bichon mix.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shichon.htm

i wouldn't rely on that website as a source of info.

The main problem is whenever I take him outside, he his not
very excited about it I think. Whenever I make him stand on a
spot I want him to relieve himself, he intead tries to jump
on me and hide between my legs.

when he's finished relieving himself, do you do a silly happy
dance and generally make a fool out of yourself so that he
gets the idea that going outside is a Very Good and Fun Thing?

And in walking as well, he walks between my legs or behind
me. I don;t think he enjoys the walks!

what are you doing to make the walks fun for him?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old January 20th 05, 09:33 PM
gats

He has never relieved himself outside. I have even taken him for long
walks in excess of 20-30 minutes. And since its cold in Chicago, I
don't think its feasible to spend more time. Some people say that take
the puppy back to crate and do another trip after 10 minutes. But since
we live in a high rise apartment, frequent trips are not easy...

And to make his walks fun, I give him treats, try to run with him on
side walks, introduce him to other dogs in the neighborhood and pat him
a lot!

I sincerely hope he is not confined to poo-pee inside house. Pads are
ok, but still messy and I hope to train him to go outside. I can take
him once early morning, then after breakfast and then twice at night.
During day time, I hope as he grows older, he can start to hold
longer....in the mean time, potty pads or maybe a dog walker might help.

Old January 20th 05, 09:51 PM

on 2005-01-20 at 12:33 wrote:

And to make his walks fun, I give him treats, try to run with
him on side walks, introduce him to other dogs in the
neighborhood and pat him a lot!

does he enjoy those things? how about starting off with more
frequent, shorter walks? he's a small dog and just a baby, so
longer walks may be too much for him to handle physically and
emotionally.

also, to help get him socialized, help him build confidence,
and to get help with the housebreaking problem, i *strongly*
suggest enrolling him in a puppy obedience class. if nothing
else, it will help you build a network of resources in your
community that you can rely on to help you with problems like
the ones you're having now.

I sincerely hope he is not confined to poo-pee inside house.

it seems to me that your living situation is geared toward
making it very difficult to housebreak your dog. i don't know
what you can do to change that, especially in light of the
fact that you are unable to get him to go outside in the first
place.

Pads are ok, but still messy and I hope to train him to go
outside. I can take him once early morning, then after
breakfast and then twice at night. During day time, I hope as
he grows older, he can start to hold longer....in the mean
time, potty pads or maybe a dog walker might help.

a dog walker is an excellent idea. not only because it will
hopefully help in the housebreaking process, but it will give
him a way to break up the day, so that he's not left alone for
such a long stretch of time.

Old January 20th 05, 09:53 PM
Child

"gats" wrote in message
ups.com...
| He has never relieved himself outside. I have even taken him for long
| walks in excess of 20-30 minutes. And since its cold in Chicago, I
| don't think its feasible to spend more time. Some people say that take
| the puppy back to crate and do another trip after 10 minutes. But since
| we live in a high rise apartment, frequent trips are not easy...
|
| And to make his walks fun, I give him treats, try to run with him on
| side walks, introduce him to other dogs in the neighborhood and pat him
| a lot!
|
| I sincerely hope he is not confined to poo-pee inside house. Pads are
| ok, but still messy and I hope to train him to go outside. I can take
| him once early morning, then after breakfast and then twice at night.
| During day time, I hope as he grows older, he can start to hold
| longer....in the mean time, potty pads or maybe a dog walker might help.

He should be able to hold it longer as he gets older, but still....if he
doesn't go when he is outside, that doesn't help you. A dog walker might
help - especially if they have a dog he can observe pooping outside.

I have also heard you can stick a paper matchstick up a dogs bum, and they
will poop as an attempt to push it out. Havent' tried it, but if it worked
it might be an opportunity to praise him for pooping outside. Its a start.

Maybe on a vacation day or a weekend you could pick up the pee pads and then
just keep him outside until he does go?

Old January 20th 05, 10:05 PM
Rocky

Marcel,

I have something private to ask you - is it OK to email you at
your sympatico address or does the little (I mean LARGE) lady
use your home email account? Your work email bounced.

Better yet, if you could email me, I'd appreciate it.