Home inspections?

Old November 29th 04, 11:50 PM
Travis Roy

Default Home inspections?

My wife and I are trying to adopt a small dog and we're running into a
huge roadblock. Many of the places are asking for a home inspection.

Now, my wife an I really would rather not go through a home
inspection, we don't see the need. We're willing to undergo an
interview process, we have two cats currently. We will give a vet
reference and we can get a reference from the person that adopted us
our two cats.

We have never gotten a straight answer as to WHY they require the home
inspection and what they are looking for/at exactly. We either get a
blowoff answer or we're told that we either do it or look somewhere
else.

It's like it's WRONG to ask for the person's credentials or training,
how long they've been doing home inspections. You ask those questions
and you get bitchy emails back.

I also find it funny that places that are all just people with no
formal training require all this stuff, but places like state run
animal rescue leagues and SPCA chapters never seem to, and they have
fully trained people, some with degrees in some kind of animal field.
Old November 30th 04, 12:28 AM
Tee

Travis Roy" wrote in message
om...
My wife and I are trying to adopt a small dog and we're running into a
huge roadblock. Many of the places are asking for a home inspection.

Now, my wife an I really would rather not go through a home
inspection, we don't see the need. We're willing to undergo an
interview process, we have two cats currently. We will give a vet
reference and we can get a reference from the person that adopted us
our two cats.

We have never gotten a straight answer as to WHY they require the home
inspection and what they are looking for/at exactly. We either get a
blowoff answer or we're told that we either do it or look somewhere
else.

Legitimate "why" answers:

1. To make sure you live where you say you do.
2. To make sure your current pets appear well taken care of.
3. To make sure you don't have 10 dogs chained up outback
4. To make sure that all the answers on your application are correct:
- you don't really have children if you said you didn't
- you don't really have other pets if you said you didn't
- you have a fence if you said you did

I think the word "inspection" is really misleading. I've always called them
homevisits because that's what they are. Its a chance for the rescue
coordinator or volunteer to meet, face-to-face, the applicants in their home
and to speak with them. I'd be taken on a tour of the house and yard (no I
didn't open closet doors, look under beds or open cabinets) to see where the
dog would be living. I'd answer questions the applicants had about the
adoption process, what they can expect from an adopted dog, what obstacles
they may need to overcome, etc.

I'd also point out anything I may see during the visit that could be
troublesome to the adoption. Things like holes in the ground along the
fence line (excellent for a dog to escape through), priceless antiques or
heirlooms situated low to the floor that may be easily knocked over and
things of that nature.

My visits would last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. The longer being
due entirely to the applicants wishing to talk. It was always a
comfortable, friendly affair and much more like a social visit, or meeting
someone you've emailed with but not actually met, than anything else.

--
Tara

Old November 30th 04, 03:21 AM
Lincasw

I don't what rescue leagues/shelters you are referring to. But, that is a
untruth. In fact, the humane society in Montgomery County dose in fact due home
inspections as well as most of the rescue leagues. Are you hiding something, if
you aren't than a home inspection shouldn't be a problem. The rescue people are
just trying to protect the dog and if you can't see or understand that, then
you should not be allowed to adopt from them.

In one contract, with the chow rescue, it states that the dog is not to be
outside without anyone home and if they find the dog outside then they can take
the dog.
Why do you wish to get a dog?

sc00tz states:

Old November 30th 04, 04:11 AM
Travis Roy

Tee wrote:
Travis Roy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

see, if I got answers like that I would probably be totally fine with
that. I get the blowoff, or the "if you don't like it go away" answers.
Seems like people just power trippin' to me.

Thing is this... I live in an apartment, I have two cats. I'm willing
to give a vet reference and the reference of the person that I adopted
the two cats from (a freind, but she runs the adoption part of the
animal hospital she works at). So most of those things don't even
apply.

But jeeze, you think they'd be glad I'm asking what's involved, and
what kind of training/credentials the person doing the visit has. It
shows that I don't let just any yahoo into my house and snoop around.

Old November 30th 04, 04:22 AM
Tee

"Travis Roy" wrote in message
oups.com...

see, if I got answers like that I would probably be totally fine with
that. I get the blowoff, or the "if you don't like it go away" answers.
Seems like people just power trippin' to me.

My interpretation of those responses is the same as if a breeder gave me the
same...find another rescue.

Thing is this... I live in an apartment, I have two cats. I'm willing
to give a vet reference and the reference of the person that I adopted
the two cats from (a freind, but she runs the adoption part of the
animal hospital she works at). So most of those things don't even
apply.

You know that, yes, but rescues have a responsibility to their animals, to
make sure they go to great homes with knowledgable and caring people. You
may not believe it but people lie like there's no tomorrow on their
applications. They'll be very friendly, give all the right answers, and
later turn into obnoxious, ignorant, difficult people to work with. I know
firsthand that it happens enough that rescues really can't afford to take
the applicant's word for everything. It helps rescuers sleep better at
night knowing that they did the homevisit, met the applicant, and had all
questions answered (on both sides). Its alot of moral responsibility on the
part of the rescuer, assuming he/she truly has their heart in what they're
doing.

But jeeze, you think they'd be glad I'm asking what's involved, and
what kind of training/credentials the person doing the visit has. It
shows that I don't let just any yahoo into my house and snoop around.

I agree wholeheartedly. For all that there were never enough hours in the
day to get everything done in the rescue, I did find time to seriously &
kindly answer any questions adopters or volunteers had. I was always happy
to be questioned as long as the question wasn't rude or obnoxious. IMO it
shows a further level of responsibility and seriousness on the part of the
adopter and I think that's what every rescuer should hope for in the homes
their dogs go to. My only guess as to the rescue's behavior in responding
to you would be that they are overworked and letting their tempers rise (it
happens all the time). However, its not professional and certainly not in
anyone's best interests to take frustrations out in that manner.

I'd suggest emailing a few other rescues if you haven't been completely
turned off. Ask them your questions upfront, before you start talking about
a specific dog, and get a feel for the people you'd be dealing with. If you
get polite, detailed answers then I think you've found the right rescue for
you.

--
Tara

Old November 30th 04, 05:58 AM
Jo Wolf

ANd here's some more background information for you.....

There are no "state run" adoption services for animals. They are city
or county, and some do require home visits before some animals are
placed..... Their staff members rarely have any formal education in any
variety of animal sciences, unless the boss does, and maybe a
school-trained vet tech.... The ones in my area depend on volunteers
for their few home visits.

SPCAs and Humane Societies operate using the same caliber and experience
backgrounds of volunteers as the rescues have.... sometimes less
experience (most of my rescue volunteers are breeders who also have
extensive obedience training experience, and are very good at
identifying great homes for our breed). In a major city, one or more
staff members may have some related formal education, but not the folks
on the front lines of adoption services.

Most organizations, regardless of type, have a specific list of
questions for the home visitor to answer. It does not take a degree of
any sort to be able to do this, but it does take familiarity with
canines, people, and even breeds or breed types. And we support each
other. I recently got a shared home visit report from a Weimaraner
rescue when the person discovered a need to down size from her initial
interest in a Weim, to a smaller breed. Although I work solely with
placing Border Terriers, I have made home visits for Malamutes, Cocker
Spaniels, Miniature Schnauzers, Miniature Pinschers, American Pit Bull
Terriers, and American Bulldogs... among others.

On one Schnauzer home visit, I discovered that the husband's German
Shepherd that was reported on the application was 100% of the time
confined to a small outdoor pen with unreliable shade and ZERO shelter,
and did not have current immunizations and was not on heartworm
preventive. The water bowl was green with algae when I was there. The
dog was a disaster and attacked the fence when the wife took me into the
yard. The "fenced" yard was only fenced on two sides of a corner lot.
The kids were 2 years younger than reported on the application, and were
uncontrolled brats, and the wife was pregnant (not reported). The
husband did not really want another dog around. Both worked full time,
and hubby had two jobs. They had plans to expand the house within the
next few months... major construction. And the wife wanted a terrier?
I had to recommend that this was not an ideal terrier home at that
time.... That is the Only home I have ever reported back to another
rescue group as not suitable.

As Tara said, I also do a lot of teaching on these visits.... about
supporting the adjustment process, and about some of the behavior issues
that most pet owners who haven't adopted a re-cycled dog aren't
expecting.... the need to brush up on housetraining in a new setting
being an important one.... reinforcing the rescue group's recommendation
for an obedience class soon after adoption....

But we aren't out there snooping to be snooping. We don't have time for
that! grin We just want the best possible home for each dog... and we
want this to be the last and only home the dog will ever need.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old November 30th 04, 06:13 AM
Tirya

Home visits are common practice with the rescue groups I've dealt with, for
one very basic reason:

People lie on applications. A lot.

And while government-run shelters don't require home visits, they also
generally don't have the emotional and financial investment into animals
that rescue groups do, not to mention the resources to do them. Rescue
groups pull animals from the shelters, generally vetting and rehabilitating
and fostering them, and their goal is to find the best home for that animal
in order to reduce and/or eliminate the odds that the animal will ever end
up in the shelter again.

Also, I don't believe that government-run shelters are allowed to deny
adoption to individuals, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Rescue groups, as
private entities, have the ability to be more discriminating. On the plus
side, the animals that come from rescue groups have generally been vetted,
groomed, and fostered so there is some idea of their personality, so it's a
trade-off, IMHO.

I agree that the rescue should be willing to professionally answer the
question of "Why do you need to do a home visit", but I also know that there
are quite often people who are turned down for whatever reason (and believe
me, some of the reasons are pretty amazing) who become belligerent, abusive,
and hateful in email, in person, and on the phone. I'm amazed at how often
people try to lay guilt trips on rescues when they're turned down for a dog:
"Well, we were willing to give Fluffykins an absolutely perfect home, but
YOU must not want to find him a home, so we're just going to go to the pet
store and BUY a dog. SO there." (Of course, the fact that the folks have
BigSpike, who's five years old and unneutered, who has spent his entire life
in the backyard on a chain because he's "a guard dog" but Fluffykins "would
be able to sleep in the garage" if it got too cold has NOTHING to do with
it, because hey, Fluffykins is getting a "home", right?)

I know that the adoption process can often be frustrating, because it seems
like rescue groups are asking a billion and one questions. But they're
doing it in order to find the best possible home for the animal, and
hopefully knowing that the rescuers are trying to do a thorough job that
will end up with the best possible outcome for the animal - AND for you -
will help.

Tirya
--
TDC Inca Jeeper
A girl and her Jeep... it's a beautiful thing...

om...

Old November 30th 04, 06:13 AM
Lincasw

In a private email, from this person. He, basically told me that once the dog
was his, there was no one that was going to tell him how to treat the animal.
He came across of extremely agorant. So there maybe more to the story that was
being told.

Tee states;

Old November 30th 04, 01:50 PM
Travis Roy

Uhh, no Lincasw. You gave me an example of a Chow rescue (a breed that
I admit I don't know anything about because I'm not interested in
owning one because it's WAY to big for my apartment) that if they saw
the dog chained up outside and nobody was home that they would take the
dog away.

I just pointed out that I would NEVER accept such a contract because it
just seems like a bunch of power hungry people forcing their will on
people. I gave the example that perhaps I went to get some milk at the
store, or I'm in the basement working on a home project and don't hear
the person from the chow rescue at the door. It's obviously something
that won't happen to me since I don't have a house or a yard (but live
next to a nice big park).

I found Tee's answers to be very helpful. If I was dealing with a
shelter that they worked for then I would have no problems with a home
visit. Every other person I've delt with so far, including Lincasw,
basically gives me "well everybody does it" and I'm sorry, that's not a
good enough reason to allow an untrained, uncertified person into my
home and look around. I don't know anything about the person coming
into my home. I want to make sure they're trained, qualified, and I
want to know what they're looking for and why they are looking for it.
Why is that to much to ask?

To get to know you is also not a good reason because they can clearly
do that outside my home.

I know there's shelters that have contracts that say they can take back
to dog. But I've found most of them to be vague and they can take back
the dog if they just feel that the dog isn't being taken care of right.
They have random visits to come and "check up" on the dog. These scream
of invading my privacy.

I don't like how I try to protect my privacy is getting twisted into
"I've got something to hide". I don't. I've owned pets all my life,
dogs and cats.. So has my wife. We've never beaten animals, we've never
harmed them in any way. But now because I ask a question as to why you
need a home inspection, and what are they looking for and you would
think I'm having dog fights in my living room.

Old November 30th 04, 02:27 PM
Travis Roy

Oh, let me just add that you were the perfect example of somebody that
basically gave me "well, other places do it too" response along with
"well if you don't want to do one, you must be hiding something". If I
were going by that logic then cops should be allowed to just come into
your home and dig through everything once a month. If you're not doing
anything wrong, then what's the problem. You were unwilling to show any
kind of compromise. Then when pressed for answers gave the old roll
over and say I'm not worth adopting to.

Tee and Jo Wolf gave good responses. Showed a willingness to work with
me and explained the process better.

Best Home Base Work Reynard Dog breeds 0 November 10th 04 01:53 AM
Home Visit Checklist? mickael Dog rescue 13 September 30th 03 04:32 AM
Home Visit Checklist? mickael Dog breeds 0 September 25th 03 08:12 PM
Home Visit Checklist? mickael Dog rescue 0 September 25th 03 08:12 PM
Charlie the Chocolate Lab Needs a New Home (SF Bay Area) Ken Rich Dog rescue 3 August 3rd 03 07:31 PM