German Shepherd Breeder

Old March 31st 04, 09:05 AM
Lynn K.

(gwen) wrote in message om..
Of course this does contradict the high level obedience
titles in the argument the other day about how
*many/plenty/lots/some have very bad manners. I still
don't see that because to train a dog to this level
is intense longterm training not something that occurs
overnight and the dogs not only know verbal commands
very well they also know hand commands very well.

Maybe an example will help you understand why there is no
contradiction. A trainer in my area breeds Goldens and competes with
them at the highest levels (multiple OTChs & MH titles). Part of her
strategy is to focus her dogs completely on herself and work. To do
that, she allows her dogs no contact with other dogs or informal
contact with other people from the time they are weaned. Even within
the home she'll put one dog away while playing with another, never
allowing the dogs to interact. IOW she deliberately doesn't socialize
them. You can imagine how poor the manners of these dogs are around
other dogs or people. At the same time Mary is a dynamite competition
trainer, with an endless supply of tricks to teach complex skills.
But she knows f-all about resource guarding, separation anxiety,
aggression, etc. because they simply can't happen in her somewhat
skewed world.

She is an extreme example, but the whole gamut is possible. You've
met my Java and could see how, uhm, self-contained he is. Keeping him
relaxed and animated has been my biggest training challenge for the
past 7 years. So I've encouraged him to jump up on me, in fact taught
him to do so. It's not hard to see how someone who saw that might
think that he had no manners whatsoever.

Lynn K.

Old March 31st 04, 02:02 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"Lynn K." wrote in message
om...

allowing the dogs to interact. IOW she deliberately doesn't socialize
them. You can imagine how poor the manners of these dogs are around
other dogs or people. At the same time Mary is a dynamite competition
trainer, with an endless supply of tricks to teach complex skills.
But she knows f-all about resource guarding, separation anxiety,
aggression, etc. because they simply can't happen in her somewhat
skewed world.

There is someone who, not to the extreme that you talk about, locally
here that also has dogs that are OTCh's (One, I think, and the other
is in Utility) that have terrible manners with other dogs. So much that
many people give her an unusually wide berth when she comes through.*

She is an extreme example, but the whole gamut is possible. You've
met my Java and could see how, uhm, self-contained he is. Keeping him
relaxed and animated has been my biggest training challenge for the
past 7 years. So I've encouraged him to jump up on me, in fact taught
him to do so. It's not hard to see how someone who saw that might
think that he had no manners whatsoever.

I used to think that this was crazy, but a friend (also with Belgians) told
me
about this as well. I don't mind, and also taught Bodhi to jump up on me.
He doesn't do it with strangers, however he does do it
to those he *really* likes. One is his agility instructor, the other the
friend of mine who suggested it!
Shelly & The Boys

Old March 31st 04, 03:33 PM
-mi-chael4

Lynn K. wrote:

(gwen) wrote in message om..

[...]

If Gwen was making the argument you are making
now, you would be arguing the opposite. You're
nothing but a dumb cow who does whatever the
herd is doing.

MOOOOOOO!!!!!
MOOO! MOOOOOO!O!O!O!O!!!!!!!

Lynn K.