"Alternative" Methods to teaching Heel

Old June 12th 04, 02:34 AM
Cin

I haven't yanked a dog into heel position for years.

Oh.. i envy you

Seems like everytime we go out At has to relearn it. We do obediance every
sunday and walk most days, the first 20 mins are a nightmare!

Cin

Old June 12th 04, 04:21 AM
Robin Nuttall

Cin wrote:

I haven't yanked a dog into heel position for years.

Oh.. i envy you

Seems like everytime we go out At has to relearn it. We do obediance every
sunday and walk most days, the first 20 mins are a nightmare!

If your dog is yanking you around, you haven't made yourself interesting
or engaging enough to the dog to keep its attention. A dog who is
focused on you isn't going to be hauling you all over the place.

Old June 12th 04, 04:54 PM
Leah

"Paul B" wrote:
One point though, dogs often pay more attention to strangers or new people
as they are an unknown quantity and the dog is captivated initially but once
the initial attraction is over they become just as indifferent to the now
not so new person. I have seen some pro dog trainers use that to their
advantage to impress the dogs owners but after a period the dogs attention
wanders and the pro's have to resort to other ways to captivate the dog.

If a student is getting absolutely nowhere loose-leash walking her dog, I'll
take the leash and give it a try. Then I can say, "Most dogs like to go fast,
but yours likes to mosey. Try walking slower." Or whatever. The other night,
I discovered that a walking-on-the-left dog would prefer to walk on the right.
Once mom tried that, she had more success.

Anyway, I invariably get the dog's focus when mom or dad couldn't. Part of it
is because I'm trilling at the dog like a fool, maybe marching with happy feet
instead of walking, whatever it takes. But also a large part of it is because
I'm *new.*

And I always make sure to tell the owners this. Otherwise, they'll get
frustrated, feel "I can't do it." I say, "It's like kids. They're going to
ignore you because you blah-blah at them all the time. But if a teacher or
other authority figure says the same thing, they'll most likely listen as if
it's something they never heard before."

Canine Action Dog Trainer
http://www.canineaction.com
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html