Might be useful for some..

Old September 26th 04, 10:23 PM
michael 2.8

Child wrote:
"Suja" wrote in message

I have an incredibly offensive coworker, whom is basically venomous and
abusive.

We had somebody like that here for years but she
just ran away.

Clearly, ignoring mikey doesn't change the behavior. We have been trying
that for years. I have occasionally tried to engage Mikey in real
conversation, and occasionally it works.

Just curious, did you try anything with shelly and if
so, was it successful?

Perhaps there is more than one way to skin a cat.

and maybe there are some cats who can't be caught,
let alone skinned?

hmmmm? scratching chin, gazing upwards to the left

--
this is michael
reporting live...

Old September 26th 04, 11:19 PM
Paula

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 23:04:40 -0800, "Child"
wrote:

I have an incredibly offensive coworker, whom is basically venomous and
abusive. I have no idea what he has on my boss, that she hasnt' fired him
but there must be something. My first method of dealing with him was to
ignore him. That didnt' work because he took my silence to his nasty
comments about coworkers as agreement. So my next method was to reward the
behavior I liked, and to punish the bad behavior. Basically, when he said
negative things, I yelled at him to get the hell out of my office and when
he behaved nicely i spoke nicely back. He's stopped talking trash in my
office and we actually have pleasant conversations.

Clearly, ignoring mikey doesn't change the behavior. We have been trying
that for years. I have occasionally tried to engage Mikey in real
conversation, and occasionally it works.

Perhaps there is more than one way to skin a cat.

To apply your co-worker method to Mikey and others, one should then do
the usenet equivalent of yelling at him to get the hell out of the
office when he is being negative and only have a conversation when he
is behaving nicely. That sounds about right. Can you see why if you
listened attentively to the trash talk or laughed along with him when
he was trashing others that he might end up in your office every time
he wanted to talk trash and might even spend extra time making up
trash to share with you if he enjoyed his time in your office? This
is why I say I have no problem with people telling Mikey he is an ass
but I have a big problem with people engaging him rewardingly when he
is being an ass.

--
Paula
"The smell of burning rubber chickens and

Old September 27th 04, 06:10 AM
Loise

"dogsnus" wrote in message
Terri, would you email me?