[OT] - More baby pr0n

Old February 22nd 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default - More baby pr0n

On Feb 22, 3:57*pm, Janet Boss

It's been my experience, when
discussing children and dogs, that most JQP parents rate the
wonderfulness of a dog by how much it will tolerate from a dog. *"He
was just the best dog, no matter what my kids did he put up with it.
Of course I never let them [fill in the blank]...." *Because a kid
doing something a dog doesn't like might mean a bite, and a bite
surely means the dog will be returned but probably can't be rehomed,
we're pretty careful about this.

I hate that. *While I appreciate that my dogs have handled unintentional
situations well (a child rolling off a couch and right on top of a
dog!), as well as some carefully chosen allowed behavior (my goddaughter
napping in a dog bed with my dog, when I knew that was something he
liked), I think it sucks that dogs are supposed to "take a beating" and
never react adversely.

It does. Most folks expect the dog not even to voice its objections
to a child's behavior by growling, because they fail to understand
that dogs can't warn kids by saying "excuse me, sonny, but please
don't do that again". So we prefer to be safe rather than sorry and
require some dog experience along with some education when placing
dogs with kids under 5 or 6.

That all being said, years ago we placed a dog with a family that had
two pretty young children. *Before I even did the home visit, I had
the family read the standard book we recommend on greyhounds as well
as Brian Kilcommons' book on dogs and kids. *When I did the home
visit, mom demonstrated that she had talked with the kids about
appropriate interactions with the dog by quizzing them. *Ex-racers
often sleep with their eyes open, and the kids knew to never approach
the dog when it was sleeping, but to call its name first and only
approach to pet when dog looked up, etc. *Anyway, we placed a happy,
young greyhound with them, and I'm pretty sure the family thought I
was nuts, because this dog was one of the exceptions - he loved to
have the kids lay on him, and all their friends as well.

A good story and good parents.

And an outstanding dog.

Mustang Sally
Old February 23rd 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default [OT] - More baby pr0n

In article ,
"Suja" wrote:

"Janet Boss" wrote in message:

Yup. Those are the 2 ways I acquire dogs, with rare exception. I have
never been disappointed.

Although I agree in general with this, Khan was an exception. He was shut
down enough at the adoption day that he seemed like a perfectly friendly
mellow fellow, and we were more than a little surprised by the baggage. But
then, you deal with what you've got.

When we visited Toby at the shelter, he was this adorable small white
ball of fluff. The only thing even faintly hinting at what turned out
to be a major aggression problem was the note on his cage warning people
not to stick their fingers through the mesh. But I was lost when I bent
over and he stuck his nose as far through the mesh as he could to sniff
my hand.

I really am happy that we were reasonably clueless about dogs when we got
him. Assuming that he was showing appropriate body language at the time
that we misread, we would not have adopted a dog that would turn into a
long-term project. It makes me wonder what we'd do with the next dog.
Would we turn down what could be a potentially wonderful dog because we now
know how much work it is?

You may not know even with increased experience. Toby behaved much
differently at the shelter than he did when he was in his own space. It
wasn't until he got home that he started lunging after people's ankles
on the street. :-/ I don't think the shelter would have adopted him
out if they'd realized how severe his problems were.

On the other hand, when he did start turning into a normal dog, it was
intensely gratifying...the first time he wagged his tail was a major
high point.
--
boss, sometimes i think * * * * * |* kevin michael vail
that our friend mehitabel * * * * |*
Old February 23rd 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
"Judy" wrote:

"Kathleen" wrote in message
I've got the two BCs, much larger dogs, two of them, with long fur but
Cooper's shedding is by far more troublesome. Those short, sharp, wiry
little hairs get imbedded in carpet upholstery and clothing and can be
damned near impossible to get out.

The worst breed I ever lived with (for shedding) is a beagle. It's
year-round and, as you say, those little short hairs don't vacuum up easily.

Yup. It doesn't form large scary clumps on the floor but all of your
furniture becomes beagle colored and there isn't really anything you can
do about it.
--
Kevin Michael Vail* * | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
* * * | than one closed by belief. * -- Gerry Spence
Old February 23rd 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Terri spoke these words of wisdom in
:

If I had her for more than a couple of days I think she'd be a different
kid in about a month.
* The surprise on her face when she realized I understood some Spanish
was absolutely priceless.

I wasn't even there.... and think it's priceless!
Old February 24th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Judy" wrote in message
"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Poodle (miniature - giant)-yeah babee.
Schnauzer (miniature - giant)-who does coat care?

Permanent puppy cut, else I would learn myself or bring it to the local
groomer regularly. (Assuming of course that she knew how to do it
properly)

With the schnauzer, I can virtually guarantee that the groomer doesn't
know how to do it properly. Which is why we do it ourselves. But if you
are willing to get an all-over same length clip - which won't bother the
dog one teeny tiny bit - then it's doable. What you'd probably get is a
poodle puppy cut on the schnauzer. There is no puppy cut for schnauzers.

And you have the advantage of being non-shedding.

Terriers (almost all of them)-yes.

I'm confused as to why these were a "yes" without any caution about coat
care. Every single terrier I know requires coat care - some of it way
more than I'm willing to do (and I'm saying that as a schnauzer owner!)

Judy

Um, because I'm having Welshie cravings? and the flu too?

Beth

puppy pr0n ceb Dog behavior 5 November 10th 06 05:09 PM
Dog with new Baby Teux Dog behavior 6 December 29th 05 12:28 AM
dog & new baby 123456789 Dog behavior 1 May 30th 05 01:27 AM
dog & new baby 123456789 Dog health 1 May 30th 05 01:27 AM
More baby pr0n Marcel Beaudoin Dog behavior 19 April 9th 05 06:42 AM