surreptitious use of soft objects

Old July 2nd 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default surreptitious use of soft objects

I always thought my dog was obedient and well behaved and not sneaky, but eventually I realized that when I was out she would jump up on the couch or bed, and make sure to jump down before I got in the door. I only discovered this when she was old and getting too deaf or un-alert to jump down before I got it. Much to my dismay, I realized that she must have been doing it all along. I was surprised because I didn't think she was the sneaky type..

What can be done to prevent this sneaky behavior from happening behind your back, or to stop it if it has begun? Thanks.
Old July 3rd 12, 08:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Had to chuckle. This is a type of thing that you have to manage, rather
than train.... because you have to be present to correct training
lapses.

One method is to make the furniture uncomfortable. For instance, my
boss puts a stretched out baby gate on her guest room bed, under the
bedspread. Some people have had good results with putting heavy duty
aluminum foil on the seats of chairs and sofas.... my dogs ignored
it.... There is a devise called a Scat Mat that comes in a couple of
sizes..... it plugs into the wall power outlet and gives the animal a
litle shock, said to be about like static electricity when it steps on
the mat.

Close doors to unoccupied rooms.... bedrooms being rooms that usually do
have doors in this day of open floor plans. Baby gates in doorways.

Crate or otherwise confine the dog when you aren't home.... Can't get
onto furniture, dump the trash container in the kitchen or other rooms,
break things, or chew on electrical cords or other no-no items. Leave
the dog with a safe chewie like a food stuffed Kong toy (freeze
overnight to help it last more of the day) or a raw bone. Dogs are dusk
hunters and most naturally alert in morning and evening.... unless kept
stimulated through the day time....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old July 3rd 12, 12:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 2 jul, 20:34, wrote:
I always thought my dog was obedient and well behaved and not sneaky, but eventually I realized that when I was out she would jump up on the couch or bed, and make sure to jump down before I got in the door. *I only discovered this when she was old and getting too deaf or un-alert to jump down before I got it. *Much to my dismay, I realized that she must have been doing it all along. *I was surprised because I didn't think she was the sneaky type.

What can be done to prevent this sneaky behavior from happening behind your back, or to stop it if it has begun? *Thanks.

Like Jo, I had to laugh. This is a smart dog, and she reminded me of
Katie, my mom's dog, who used to do the same thing. When Katie got old
and arthritic, the vet suggested she be allowed to sleep on the sofa,
kinder to her old bones. We joked that Katie had taken the vet aside
and bribed him.

Now, dogs don't reason in the same way as humans, but they do seem to
pick up on whether a rule a 'strong' one or not. My three didn't go
out of the front door on two occasions when it was accidentally left
open, maybe because they had learnt that outside was safe with me, but
a bit scary without me. They obeyed that rule (don't go out alone)
without anyone being around to enforce it. But there is nothing to
really convince a dog that some rules are so strong that they should
be obeyed whether or not the owner is around. In that case you can
'booby trap' the temptation, as Jo suggests, ie put something there
that is activated when the dog succumbs to temptation, and convinces
the dog either that you are watching, or that the object is scary. Or
you can block access. Or a mix of the two, ie block access except when
you are around to reinforce the message. The booby trap has to be
something that unnerves the dog a bit, but is unlikely to injure it
physically or cause a nervous breakdown. Otherwise you can get side
effects. For example, one of my dogs was sitting next to me by the
washing machine when it went 'bang' due to an electrical fault, and
for a while every time I tried putting in washing, he'd try to drag me
away from this dangerous object.

Anyhow, you have one smart dog, congratulations.

Alison in Spain
Old July 5th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thank you Jo and Alison for your advice.

Actually, the dog I was speaking of was from my childhood. I bring up
the subject because I have the opportunity to get a beautiful
furnished studio apartment in a mansion; the bed is an elegant four-
poster with expensive pillows and mattresses. (It was originally the
"Au Paire Room".) I haven't had a dog since childhood and would like
to get another little poodle to keep me company, but I'm afraid of her
jumping on the bed while I'm out (like my childhood dog) and having an
occasional accident while on the bed. The owners would be furious!

GERALD
Old July 7th 12, 10:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 5 jul, 20:04, wrote:
Thank you Jo and Alison for your advice.

Actually, the dog I was speaking of was from my childhood. *I bring up
the subject because I have the opportunity to get a beautiful
furnished studio apartment in a mansion; the bed is an elegant four-
poster with expensive pillows and mattresses. *(It was originally the
"Au Paire Room".) *I haven't had a dog since childhood and would like
to get another little poodle to keep me company, but I'm afraid of her
jumping on the bed while I'm out (like my childhood dog) and having an
occasional accident while on the bed. *The owners would be furious!

GERALD

It is easier to keep dogs off beds than sofas, because you can simply
never, ever, allow the dog in the bedroom. Most people let house dogs
into the living room, so the sofa is more tempting. If you never let
the dog in the bedroom, it's quite likely the rule will stick even if
you forget to shut the door.

Alison in Spain