Ah, This NG is not dead after all! Shock Collars is the subject.

Old August 7th 13, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Ah, This NG is not dead after all! Shock Collars is the subject.

Despite the subject the collars in this case are not used to shock
dogs but humans, let's say an adult male. You want him to do or not do
something you put a shock collar on him and if he disobeys you press a
button and he gets a nasty shock. That's the way it works with a dog
let's say to control the dog's barking.

But the dog has no concept of electricity. He'll stop barking because
each time he barks it gives him pain. Stop barking and no more pain.

The human at least understands that he pain comes from the collar not
from actually doing or not doing some behavior. Naturally the human
wants to stop the pain. How can he do so without removing the collar?
Presume that the person holding the remote is watching and can apply
even more pain with (say) a cattle prod if the victim tries. Or maybe
the victim has the opportunity to do something out of sight of his
guard. What would he do? The collar is padlocked on and the victim has
no appropriate tools.

Electrical devices usually require two wires or contacts, positive and
negative, to operate. Would shorting out the two poles, with (say)
aluminum foil cause the device to become inoperable. Temporarily, i.e,
while the aluminum foil is still in contact? Or permanently such as
when you short out some delicate electronic device? What effect would
water have on the collar? Say while submerged? The box might be
waterproof but the contacts have to touch the skin.

How about an induced current? I'm not quite sure of my grounds here
but I understand that you can create a current in an adjoining wire by
simply having a higher voltage line in the proximity? So put your neck
against a wire carrying house current and blow the electronics in the
collar? Perhaps?

Same goes with a perimeter shock system but here if you cover the box
part with aluminum foil the signal from the buried wire can't get
through. Correct? The human won't even have to worry about contacts.

There must be a simple (for humans) way to defeat these devices since
to my knowledge they're not used in any prison system to control the
inmates. What would it be? Of course the courts may have ruled that
they're cruel and unusual punishment so no one bothers trying.

If you know of a more appropriate group to ask these questions than
here (even a website) that would be useful.