Boston Terrier "Humping"

Old September 19th 04, 03:50 PM
Perry Templeton

Is he neutered?
I have a female Boston who is spayed. But definitely has some humping, "I'm
top dog" issues.
Gotta love 'em.
But I have begun squelching the humping. At first it was infrequent and
minor, then went through a spell where it was all about humping.
If you have had other Bostons you know their personalities.
But I would think the main thing would be, especially in a male, neutered
vs. not neutered.
Perry
"LDRS News Glo" wrote in message
I wrote a few weeks ago about my problem with my new 10 month old Boston
Terrier, who is now 11 months. The problem was he was "humping" my two

Pugs.
It's subsided a lot. He does, however, still try to do it to dogs at the

park.
I have him on a 15 ft. lead, so I can monitor his behavior. Is there any

trick
to making him stop this unacceptable behavior? Again, he's MUCH better at

home.
He gets a LOT more supervised time with the other Pugs and he's behaving

for
longer periods of time. The squirt bottle works wonders with him. I can

tell
he's going to be a great dog. I've had 3 Bostons in the past and I've

never had
this problem. JJ is larger than most Bostons, he's 28 lbs and will probaby

get
a little bit bigger, he'll fill out. He's handsome, he's extremely

playful. If
he were the only dog in the house, he'd be a wonderful little guy. I

believe
he's also trying to establish some "top dog" issues. One good thing is

none of
them fight, they're all GREAT dogs. Two Pugs and a Boston is a handful,

but
once JJ gets over this...um..."hump" he'll be great. Advice about the

humping
in the park would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Gloria

Old September 19th 04, 06:24 PM
FurPaw

LDRS News Glo wrote:
[...]

I wish I had the answer, Gloria! I have an 8 year old yellow lab who
was neutered at 9 months, and he is still Mr. Hormones!

Yesterday in the park we met up with a gorgeous reddish-brown and tan
mixed female (part lab, weim?, something with pricked ears?). She was
spayed and a year old. After the obligatory sniffs, she started to try
to entice him to play and body-slammed him a couple of times. He
started to try to hump the little flirt - and not just the sideways air
humps that he tries on our GSD - he was grabbing her around the waist.
I yanked him off and put him in a sit - several times. But this
shameless little hussy kept backing up to him with her tail in sideways
position - an invitation if I've ever seen one!

Luckily, his owner thought this was all hilarious... but we sure don't
know what to do about Mr. Hormones' behavior!

FurPaw

--
"In a sense, we are hallucinating all the time.
What we call normal vision is our selecting the

To reply, unleash the dog

Old September 19th 04, 07:22 PM
LDRS News Glo

From: "Perry Templeton BRBR
But I would think the main thing would be, especially in a male, neutered
vs. not neutered. BRBR

I adopted JJ from Animal Care and Control, and he was neutered about 3 weeks
ago, a day before I got him. I think that's part of the problem, he's still
feeling his "oats". It has tapered significantly around the house. The problem
now is taking him to the park. I hate it when he starts humping the other dogs,
especially the small ones. Most of the other dogs "tell him off", but he takes
it as a game and goes back. I'm sure it will stop as he matures, I just thought
someone would have a suggestion for now when I take him to the park. Thanks,
Perry.
Gloria