the right home for the right dog

Old January 4th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default the right home for the right dog

Rudy, my golden foster puppy, is a wonderful puppy. He is mostly
housebroken (not a good idea to wake up to greet DH without going out
first!), beautifully crate trained (had not been by his first 2
homes), obedient and snuggly and charming. For the most part, unless
ignored, sits politely for greeting and is generally a delight.

So why is he still here after 2+ weeks? I've had 5 interested
parties. I think the almost-6 months and high energy has scared
enough others away. 2 homes have been approved by the rescue org, but
neither is suitable (mutual agreement). The other 3 haven't been
approved yet, but I'm doubting that any of them will be "the" one.
One has no other dogs and does cat rescue. Has one retired owner but
no other dog to get exercise with. Next home has sons - 8 & 11, but
no other dog and they were used to an old and calm golden. Third home
has a 2 yo lab, but nobody home during day and not clear on some
lifestyle details yet. They haven't applied yet either.

I realize that a big responsibility of rescue is to make sure (as sure
as possible) that the home is a forever one. Rudy has been through 2
homes already and I don't want him to fail in another one, just
because someone can't meet his exercise (mind and body) needs.

Obviously *I* am the right home for this puppy ;-D, bit that isn't to
be, so I need to find the right home elsewhere. I'm in no hurry to
get rid of him (neither is DH, he just doesn't want him to be
permanent), so that's not an issue, but I always stress over whether
I'm too demanding in new home qualities, or whether I am just
reasonable and careful.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old January 4th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet B" wrote in message:

So why is he still here after 2+ weeks? I've had 5 interested
parties. I think the almost-6 months and high energy has scared
enough others away. 2 homes have been approved by the rescue org, but
neither is suitable (mutual agreement). The other 3 haven't been
approved yet, but I'm doubting that any of them will be "the" one.

I'm not sure if the lack of another dog disqualifies any of the applicants.
He'd probably do fine if they could get him to the local dog park or some
such to work off some of the energy. And, if the folks with the young Lab
agrees to get a dog walker until his bladder control is better, that
situation might be tenable.

No point in sending him off some place where it won't stick. People may not
do with this pup what you would do with him, but that doesn't mean they
aren't a workable home either.

Suja

Old January 4th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

suja im sorry i posted over you i just wanted to cut out the twit and i
needed the top post for reference. thankyou

janet, from what i can make out from your post are you asking if your
too fussy on getting a dog in the right home??

if so you are perfectly in the right. our rescue is soo careful and
everydog out the door my boss has a fret over,im talking nightmares the
works.she gets attached to every dog and so for her its like homing one
of her own.
im not quite that bad but i am very very careful and im soo thorough on
my home checks,i double check every thing and test every fencing panel
to find a way out.
we keep contact for the dogs life aswell so the new home they always
have a reference point if something is not going right we are always on
hand.

so long as you are actively looking (and i dont want to sound pointed
but it is hard to let them go) then your not being too demanding but i
do know of two awful awful women each running her own 'rescue' and
basically the dogs are booked in for a life sentence of misery. and
please note that is not what im suggesting you are doing but we spend
time assessing each dog and check the new home with a fine toothed
comb.
it sounds to me thats what you have done and are doing and that is
being reasonable,careful and responcible.

all the best to you,dg.

Old January 4th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet B" wrote in message
Obviously *I* am the right home for this puppy ;-D, bit that isn't

be, so I need to find the right home elsewhere. I'm in no hurry to
get rid of him (neither is DH, he just doesn't want him to be
permanent), so that's not an issue, but I always stress over whether
I'm too demanding in new home qualities, or whether I am just
reasonable and careful.

I think you're right to be careful. It's hard letting foster dogs go
and if you are able to,
it's best wait until you find a home you are 100% happy with or you'll
be worrying about him.
Having said that, is it really necessary for him to go to a home with
other dogs?
Alison

Old January 4th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:39:00 -0000, "Alison"
, clicked their heels and said:

Having said that, is it really necessary for him to go to a home with
other dogs?
Alison

To you and Suja - - no. I want a clear plan on how they're going to
exercise him to the extent that he needs. It will be easier on THEM
if another young dog exists, but I am totally open to a home who has
plans to DO things with this dog, even if he's an only. The house
with rescue cats? Without another dog around, he is going to become
horribly pesty to those cats, and with new ones from time to time,
things could get ugly. He's a very "busy" and nosy puppy!

Old January 5th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I don't think you are too demanding. It's important that people understand
what they are taking on and that it's not a thing they can dump back on
someone or dump off at a kennel to be forgotten.

Every dog takes work and training to get to be a wonderful pet. When we got
Lady 9 months ago Mike found out that not all dogs were as well behaved as
Barney & Brandy were when I moved in with him. I had more of a time getting
through to him on the proper way to do things than I did training Lady.

I would never give her back to my sister or dump her of at a pound
somewhere. It's been trying 9 months and we've went through a lot of
clothes in that time but she's finally getting that it's not ok to chew up
everything in the house. But then there was that pillow case I woke up to
the other night that I heard her tearing strips from.............LOL

Celeste