The Dog Whisperer

Old July 9th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default The Dog Whisperer

Hello all, I am a bit of a drama queen and a bit wordy so when I said
"Cesar was my hero,ido, guru...etc. I was just saying I like him very
much. I believe in most of what he says and does, but like everything
else. I take what works for me and leave the rest. Just as I would
from a professional trainer, a book, another TV show...I believe there
is a disclaimer on every show. I don't know anyone in the world that is
absolutely 100 percent on about every single thing....except perhaps
Human and Animal behavior blah blah blah....I do not want to grow up to
be like you. I get something out of almost every post here, but you my
dear I feel very sorry for. Why do you feel the need to attack me? If
you can't recall what I am referring to read the posts prior to this one
that is what I do when I post. I am sorry for my lack of usenet
etiquette. Thanks for all of the opinions, the review of the book, and
the explanation of flooding.

Be Free,
Judy

Old July 9th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:20:13 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:47:49 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

Even Cesar says it is only common sense, but I bet most dogs do not get
daily exercise. Putting a dog out in the yard is not exercise; that is
another thing he says that I believe he is right about.

Putting my dogs out in the yard results in them getting more exercise
than 45 minutes of walking would give them. Dogs are not all the
same, you know.

Putting my dogs out in the yard results in butt tuck zoomies, chasing,
and wrestling until they are completely exhausted. We've never had a
walk that could do that to the big dogs. Walks are useful for other
things, though.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 9th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:11:25 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

I didn't agree with her that letting your dog out in the backyard is enough
exercise for the dog; I believe all dogs should be walked.
No not all dogs are the same; some very small dogs don't need as much
exercise as a larger breed or a very active dog, but they are the same as
getting the need for more stimulation to their brains from walking and
checking their (pee mail as my husband calls it) of other dogs; I believe
that is what they like doing the most, walking and sniffing; then they come
home satisfied and quieter. It makes for a happier dog and a happier owner.

Now see, this is where it pays to know the dogs. Sally's dogs would
be in grave danger with your exercise method of 45 minute off lead
walks in the forest. They are greyhounds, which as a breed can't be
trusted not to run after critters and get in trouble and/or lost if
walked around off lead. In addition, greyhounds are sprinters. They
are not happy or healthy walking around as fast as a person can take
them on leash. OTOH, her dogs, being greyhounds, love to sprint
around open areas and do so when she lets them out into the fenced
yard. So the best exercise for her dogs is not what is best for your
dogs or what Cesar apparently says is best for all dogs.

I have some little dogs, who can get plenty of exercise on walks, but
they still like to chase each other around and wrestle. My big dogs
would never get enough exercise from walks even if I ran as fast as I
could for as long as I could. I can't let them off lead to run back
and forth and to chase other dogs because there are leash laws here
and not all dogs are good chase companions, especially the ones whose
owners ignore leash laws in a neighborhood like mine. They do,
however, love to run around the back yard chasing each other and
wrestling, which wears them out. If they don't want to be out there
without me, I go out with them, I don't let them back into the house,
put a leash on them and go for a walk. That would be silly.

Old July 9th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

I've only seen the show once, and somethings I feel he may be right
about. However, one thing sticks out in my mind. He had a dog, I
believe it was a chow mix, that was very aggressive when it came to
getting it's nails clipped. His "method" for solving this problem was
to pin the dog with one arm and clip the dog's nails. I have a dog,
which is a rescue dog, with a severe fear of getting it's nails
clipped. If I tried to force the dog to get it's nails clipped using
this method I would probably get injured, because he can pick me up on
his back. By the way, I easily outwiegh Cesar. I have found the best
way to deal with this problem is using gradual desensitization. It may
take me 4 days currently to get all of my dog's nails clipped, but at
least they all get done with no risk to myself. Eventually, I should
be able to clip them in one day. Also worth noting, Cesar got bit by
the chow mix while using his method, so I don't really agree with the
show displaying it to viewers who might try similar methods with
dangerous results.

Nick

Old July 9th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Geez, calm down. What are you so upset about. I am just talking about how
I feel about things; what I say is not gospel; it doesn't have to be the
only form of entertainment for a dog. My niece has Whippets that chase a
white bag around the field on a pulley; they love it. Some dogs have jobs
that they do; they love that. I don't even know you or your dogs. I am
just talking about dogs in general; not your particular dogs. If they have
fun running around in circles all day long in a yard, then let them, but my
dog would be bored doing that everyday.

wrote:

I didn't agree with her that letting your dog out in the backyard is

enough
exercise for the dog; I believe all dogs should be walked.

I didn't say "your dog"; I said "my dogs". You don't know anything
about my dogs; if you did, you'd know that they run with each other in
my fenced yard until they're tired out. They couldn't do that if I
walked them around here, because I couldn't take them off leash, and i
can't run as fast as a greyhound (average coasting speed around 35
mph).

Get a clue. You don't know what's best for my dogs, and I don't know
what's best for yours.

Mustang Sally

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article t,
pfoley wrote:
I don't agree with that. Most times dogs in the yard sniff around do

their
business and then lay down or try to get back in the house or bark at
neighbors if left outside.

You say "most times." What about the other times? My dogs
wouldn't be sufficiently exercised being left to their own
devices in the yard, but they're not greyhounds. And you
seem to be disagreeing with Sally's statement that not all
dogs are the same - is that what you intended?

Old July 9th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Once a week a meet two women in the forest that walk three greyhounds; the
dogs are as quiet as can be. Maybe if they do it often enough, they won't
bolt. Not sure if that would work, or maybe they just have calm greyhounds.
You would have to walk them on the leash for awhile to see what happens. In
fact besides the three greyhounds, they also walk a german shepherd and a
husky all together. I am mainly talking about dogs that are home all day
with no stimulation and then let out into the yard, or left in the yard all
day long alone. Plus, don't you feel it is a social thing for them to get
out and look around; it is good for them all around is how I see it. I am
sure working dogs do not need to do it; they have enough stimulation, or
maybe old dogs, or dogs that can't stand the heat, unless they were walked
early in the morning or in the evening. My Rottweiler does not like heat,
so I have to take her early in the morning.

Old July 9th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 17:57:54 -0400, elegy
wrote:

[]
But I think that having a show like this reach the masses, well, that
*is* ground-breaking, and it just might have a positive effect on the
folks out there who might recognize *themselves* in the folks and
families he "trains" on his show.

It surely can't hurt.

i don't know.... does it help or hurt when what they take away from
the show is "tsst",

What harm could come from the "tsst"???

Other trainers have been using similar versions of the "tsst" for
years.

It's a distraction. Feel free to come up with your own.

For example: "psst" "yech" "acch" "ooop" Etc.

leash pop

What leash pop?

I done see no steeeeeeenkin' leash pops.

and alpha roll?

Yes, (as I've said previously) that could get them in some trouble.

However, his show is *littered* with warnings not to try his methods
without the supervision and assistance of a professional trainer.

Again, I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

YMMV.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Beware! Deranged Leftist "professors" like Deborah Frisch could be teaching your children:
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/0..._low.html#more
Old July 9th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On 8 Jul 2006 20:39:31 -0700, wrote:

pfoley wrote:
I didn't agree with her that letting your dog out in the backyard is enough
exercise for the dog; I believe all dogs should be walked.

The real point is that your 2 statements aren't logically connected.
That's the problem I have with Millan's flat statement that all dogs
should be walked 45 minutes a day. Sure, far too many dogs get far too
little mental and physical exercise. But the right conditioning
regime is as different for every dog as it is for humans. My 10 yr old
gsd is best served by tracking for .75 to 1.0 mile every morning, an
hour or so swimming, and being demo dog for 1or2 beginner classes.
Adding a 45 minute walk around the neighborhood would only be hard on
his joints and do nothing good for him. My 18 month old gsd is
building muscle right now for herding and agility. A walk isn't going
to do it for her, either. I'm getting a 13 wk old Visla and 6 month
old gsd in this week, and their conditioning plans will be equally
individualized. But none of them are ever walked.

I just don't get this.

We're now expecting a TV show to allow for each and every scenario
possible?

We've got a guy who's recommending a *45* minute walk a day (aimed
directly specifically at your *average* dog owner, not experienced
and/or competitive dog owners!), and we're nit-picking him to death?

Out of all the dogs in America who currently find themselves in "the
average home," what percentage of them do you think are getting walked
45 minutes, each and every day?

Not for one second did I think he directd that advice to, say, people
who compete, experienced dog owners, etc.

sigh

I just don't understand all this nit-picking.

Something else must be going on here, but I'll be damned if I know
what it is.

Old July 9th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:16:25 GMT, Paula
wrote:

[]
Anyone want to discuss the specific example[s] of flooding they've
actually observed Millan using on his show?

Can I see a show of hands?

I'd like to read that discussion, even though the one episode of the
show I saw didn't have anything to do with flooding so I couldn't add
to the discussion.

Well, I guess this train ain't leaving the station.

Too bad, it's a good topic.

Sorry, Paula!