The Dog Whisperer

Old July 10th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

Default The Dog Whisperer

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 17:53:10 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:30:12 GMT, Paula
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:44:14 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

Plus, don't you feel it is a social thing for them to get
out and look around; it is good for them all around is how I see it.

There are other reasons and benefits to take dogs on walks, yes, and I
do take my dogs on walks for those reasons, but not for 45 minutes a
day and not for exercise, which is what the discussion was about, or
so I read it.

That was certainly the impression I got. I can't walk for 45 minutes
a day, and neither can most of my dogs.

If you ever do decide to exercise your GH's by taking them out around
the neighborhood on leash, be sure to have someone film it. You could
make a lot of money. Maybe you could stand on a skateboard or
something. Have you seen Hoodwinked? I'll bet Granny could walk your
GH's and have them end up being fully exercised.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 10th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Mustang Sally said:
"Maybe there's no forest near me; did you ever think of that? And all the
parks in the area require dogs to be on leash. I have walked my greyhounds
in private woods off-leash, but I don't own any private woods, so I can't do
that routinely."

pfoley said:
No, I didn't think of there being no forest near you, should I have. I
don't own any private forest either; I use the town forest. Can't you find
some other place to walk your dog. Just open the door and start walking.
Or drive to a forest and walk there. Put one foot in front of the other.
That is how you do it. I don't know how anyone here can possibly think that
getting your dog out of the house and walking your dog is a bad thing. It
actually seems rather strange to me that so many of you feel that way.
Maybe the problem here is that the ones that are attacking me for that very
simple idea don't ever walk themselves. That is something you should start
thinking about; start walking yourself; it is good for your health. Driving
your dog around in the car with you might be enjoyable for the dog
sometimes, but it is not exercise. You could also hire someone to walk
your dog for you if you don't have the time, or you don't want to walk.
Anyway, if you don't see the importance of walking your dog, then don't do
it.

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:44:14 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

Once a week a meet two women in the forest that walk three greyhounds;

the
dogs are as quiet as can be. Maybe if they do it often enough, they

won't
bolt. Not sure if that would work, or maybe they just have calm

greyhounds.
You would have to walk them on the leash for awhile to see what happens.

Maybe there's no forest near me; did you ever think of that? And all
the parks in the area require dogs to be on leash. I have walked my
greyhounds in private woods off-leash, but I don't own any private
woods, so I can't do that routinely.

Mustang Sally

"Paula" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:11:25 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

I didn't agree with her that letting your dog out in the backyard is

enough
exercise for the dog; I believe all dogs should be walked.
No not all dogs are the same; some very small dogs don't need as much
exercise as a larger breed or a very active dog, but they are the same

as
getting the need for more stimulation to their brains from walking and
checking their (pee mail as my husband calls it) of other dogs; I

believe
that is what they like doing the most, walking and sniffing; then they

come
home satisfied and quieter. It makes for a happier dog and a happier

owner.

Now see, this is where it pays to know the dogs. Sally's dogs would
be in grave danger with your exercise method of 45 minute off lead
walks in the forest. They are greyhounds, which as a breed can't be
trusted not to run after critters and get in trouble and/or lost if
walked around off lead. In addition, greyhounds are sprinters. They
are not happy or healthy walking around as fast as a person can take
them on leash. OTOH, her dogs, being greyhounds, love to sprint
around open areas and do so when she lets them out into the fenced
yard. So the best exercise for her dogs is not what is best for your
dogs or what Cesar apparently says is best for all dogs.

I have some little dogs, who can get plenty of exercise on walks, but
they still like to chase each other around and wrestle. My big dogs
would never get enough exercise from walks even if I ran as fast as I
could for as long as I could. I can't let them off lead to run back
and forth and to chase other dogs because there are leash laws here
and not all dogs are good chase companions, especially the ones whose
owners ignore leash laws in a neighborhood like mine. They do,
however, love to run around the back yard chasing each other and
wrestling, which wears them out. If they don't want to be out there
without me, I go out with them, I don't let them back into the house,
put a leash on them and go for a walk. That would be silly.

Old July 10th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article t,
pfoley wrote:
I don't know how anyone here can possibly think that
getting your dog out of the house and walking your dog is a bad thing. It
actually seems rather strange to me that so many of you feel that way.

Strawcritter, ahoy!

Nobody feels that way, to my knowledge. If you read for
content and responded to what was written perhaps you
wouldn't be in a defensive position. My dogs get a huge
amount of physical exercise, I believe they should get a
huge amount of physical exercise, and yet I'm not such a
numbskull to believe that all dogs need the same exercise.
Indeed, since I understand the difference between endurance
and sprint athletes (and let's face it, anybody who doesn't
understand the difference is pretty freakin' clueless) I
understand that the kind of exercise that's appropriate for,
say, Siberian Huskies would bore the living crap out of
greyhounds and be inadequate for their physical needs, as
well.

Old July 10th 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

This is not even worth responding to. The people that are being defensive
are you and a few others. This is really getting too strange for me. It is
like a few of you are just looking to start an argument all the time, no
matter what I say. I joined this newsgroup because I am interested in
discussing dogs, but all I get is bad mouthed no matter what my thoughts and
opinions are. This is really a strange place.

Old July 10th 06, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . net,
pfoley wrote:
This is not even worth responding to.

Let's get this straight: You claim that all dogs need the
same amount and type of exercise and then you say that
people here think that "getting your dog out of the house
and walking your dog is a bad thing" and you don't
understand why you're getting ****? Seriously? Duh!

Old July 10th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

wrote in message:

Millan is giving a seminar in my area in August,
sold out a couple of weeks ago. I'm going to be interested to see the
makeup of the audience.

Someone I know went to his seminar when he gave one here. She said that an
awful lot of people from the rescue community turned up, as did John Q
Public dog owner.

She said that she did not learn anything new beyond what he talks about on
his shows, and was really, really disappointed in the questions from the
audience. Typical Q&A went something like this:

Aud: I have an 11 month old BC, and she tears up everything in the house.

CM: How much exercise does she get?

Aud: She gets walked daily, except if the weather is bad.

CM: How long do the walks last?

Aud: Well, we just walk her around the block.

CM: Give her more exercise. A lot more exercise.

Suja

Old July 10th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

Plus, don't you feel it is a social thing for them to get
out and look around; it is good for them all around is how I see it.

There are other reasons and benefits to take dogs on walks, yes, and I
do take my dogs on walks for those reasons, but not for 45 minutes a
day and not for exercise, which is what the discussion was about, or
so I read it.

That was certainly the impression I got. I can't walk for 45 minutes
a day, and neither can most of my dogs.

If you ever do decide to exercise your GH's by taking them out around
the neighborhood on leash, be sure to have someone film it. You could
make a lot of money. Maybe you could stand on a skateboard or
something. Have you seen Hoodwinked? I'll bet Granny could walk your
GH's and have them end up being fully exercised.

Heh. Haven't seen Hoodwinked, but if we did that and filmed it it
would qualify for one of those home video shows. Here's what happened
during the two or three weeks our big yard was off limits because we'd
put grass seed down for the dogs. The Whippets and Borzoi got cranky,
the Sibes got very antsy and cranky (mild for Sibes, I know, but
they're all over 12), and the Greyhounds lost their little minds.
Music the GH also was not allowed to run because he'd had surgery for
a muscle separation in his shoulder. When I put a leash on him en
route to the van for an event (excellent socialization, and he does
them frequently), he crouched and lunged for a takeoff. Now, I see
that Lucy's back and I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea - - my
dogs are trained to walk on leash without pulling - - but this was a
not-yet 6 year-old Greyhound that hasn't run in three weeks. And
again, so that no one gets the wrong idea, I mildly told Music to not
even think about it and we walked to the van without incident.

I've never understood Greyhound adoption groups who tell people
without fenced yards that they can adequately exercise their dogs with
one or two longish walks daily.

Mustang Sally

Old July 10th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Mary Healey

Rocky wrote in
:

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I agree. Walks are part of life, but they sure don't give
my crew "exercise". I never walk around my neighborhood.
I've done it of course, but don't find it all that
entertaining or beneficial.

Every once in a while, I walk my dogs around the neighbourhood
just so that my neighbours see them with me, know where they
come from, and learn that they're friendly.

Duke, Ranger, and Lindy met a couple dozen Special Olympians last week on
our evening strides around Ames. The dogs were super, as ever, and the
S.O. folks were all polite, considerate, and very pleased to make the
pups' acquaintance. They asked permission before the dogs were approached,
a refreshing change (all too often, people cross the street when they see
the four of us coming).

FWIW, we walk more for my exercise than theirs. I try for a minimum of an
hour, but we often go longer. OTOH, I took Jack (the dog) around the block
last week, and it took us 35 minutes. Poor boy just can't get around very
well any more, and a daily 45 minute walk would probably kill him.
Old July 10th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:02:38 -0400, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Typical Q&A went something like this:

Aud: I have an 11 month old BC, and she tears up everything in the house.

CM: How much exercise does she get?

Aud: She gets walked daily, except if the weather is bad.

CM: How long do the walks last?

Aud: Well, we just walk her around the block.

CM: Give her more exercise. A lot more exercise.

Well, he IS right on that one! Of course, it's a very simplistic
answer, but it's still right.

--
Janet Boss