Best dog and water resistant flooring?

Old August 29th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Harry Muscle

Default Best dog and water resistant flooring?

I'm looking for opinions on what kind of floor to install in our new
place. We have a dog and a fish tank, so I'm looking for options that
would stand up to dog claws, possible dog mistakes, and minor
(sometimes major) spilling of water from the fish tank.

We've had real hardwood before (finished onsite), but the dog scratched
it up real good with his nails. We've had laminate before also,
however, any water left standing for any significant amount of time
caused the seams to swell. Now I know in a perfect world I shouldn't
have to worry about standing water, however, I don't wanna have to deal
with replacing parts of the floor in case one of these days there is a
puddle of water that sits there for a day or two.

I'm currently looking at vinyl plank flooring. It's like vinyl tiles,
however, it's made to look like wood. One company that makes it is
www.karndean.com . Anyone have any experience with this kind of
flooring? I'm guessing it totally water proof, how about scratches
though?

Any other suggestions I should look at?

Thanks,
Harry

Old August 29th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Harry Muscle wrote:
[...]

I have a friend with _several_ Dobermans who used to have a fully
carpeted house and did a lot of searching before deciding to go with
full ceramic tile.

It has turned out to be an excellent choice, as the very occasional
messes that they make are _easy_ to clean up.

Lewis.

******

Old August 29th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rich Greenberg

In article .com,
wrote:

Harry Muscle wrote:
I'm looking for opinions on what kind of floor to install in our new
place. We have a dog and a fish tank, so I'm looking for options that
would stand up to dog claws, possible dog mistakes, and minor
(sometimes major) spilling of water from the fish tank.

[...]

I have a friend with _several_ Dobermans who used to have a fully
carpeted house and did a lot of searching before deciding to go with
full ceramic tile.

It has turned out to be an excellent choice, as the very occasional
messes that they make are _easy_ to clean up.

There is a downside here if any of your dogs are aged or infirm (or are
likely to become such). One of my dogs has degenerative disk disease
and sometimes can't keep his footing well on the tile.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red & Shasta (RIP),Red, Zero & Casey, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Old August 29th 06, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Pergo or any other laminate flooring is practically indestructible when
it comes to dogs and if you don't allow water to pool on the floor for
long periods it is OK.

Old August 29th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Goedjn

http://www.laminam.it/Edilizia_e.asp
Old August 29th 06, 07:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Toni

"Rich Greenberg" wrote in message
I have a friend with _several_ Dobermans who used to have a fully
carpeted house and did a lot of searching before deciding to go with
full ceramic tile.

It has turned out to be an excellent choice, as the very occasional
messes that they make are _easy_ to clean up.

There is a downside here if any of your dogs are aged or infirm (or are
likely to become such). One of my dogs has degenerative disk disease
and sometimes can't keep his footing well on the tile.

I have a fully ceramic tiled house and many aquariums.
It is imperative that you keep the floor free of water, drool, slobber, and
anything else even halfway liquid, or you will fall flat on your ass- hard.
And going barefoot in any of the above listed situation will guarantee you a
serious fall.

And yes, the old dogs object strenuously and you end up filling the house
with room sized rugs, which isn't half bad. I always considered them semi
disposable.

If I had it to do over again I would get the roughest slate I could find.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old August 29th 06, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
yourname

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Harry Muscle wrote:

I'm looking for opinions on what kind of floor to install in our new
place. We have a dog and a fish tank, so I'm looking for options that
would stand up to dog claws, possible dog mistakes, and minor
(sometimes major) spilling of water from the fish tank.

[...]

I have a friend with _several_ Dobermans who used to have a fully
carpeted house and did a lot of searching before deciding to go with
full ceramic tile.

It has turned out to be an excellent choice, as the very occasional
messes that they make are _easy_ to clean up.

There is a downside here if any of your dogs are aged or infirm (or are
likely to become such). One of my dogs has degenerative disk disease
and sometimes can't keep his footing well on the tile.

'the wobbles'
Old August 29th 06, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Toni wrote:
[...]

I'm located in Ontario, Canada, which means it's cold for a good part
of the year, so tile in the whole house wouldn't be a good thing ...
plus I don't think my wife would like the look of a tiled living room
and bedrooms. Whatever we pick I think it's gonna have to look like
wood.

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. Anyone ever heard of waterproof laminate? Seems to exist in the
UK, but can't find anything in Canada.

Old August 29th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
John Weiss

"Harry Muscle" wrote...
I'm looking for opinions on what kind of floor to install in our new
place. We have a dog and a fish tank, so I'm looking for options that
would stand up to dog claws, possible dog mistakes, and minor
(sometimes major) spilling of water from the fish tank.

Ceramic tile. The bonus is that the dog will learn very quickly he can't
turn or stop very well on it when he's running...

Old August 29th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
I'm located in Ontario, Canada, which means it's cold for a good part
of the year, so tile in the whole house wouldn't be a good thing ...
plus I don't think my wife would like the look of a tiled living room
and bedrooms. Whatever we pick I think it's gonna have to look like
wood.

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. Anyone ever heard of waterproof laminate? Seems to exist in the
UK, but can't find anything in Canada.

How about some combination of products? Ceramic tile in parts of a room,
wood or carpet in the rest.

Take a look at Wilsonart.com They have some of the best around.