Is my German Shepherd retarded ?

Old December 24th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Ed

Default Is my German Shepherd retarded ?

He is four years old, East German and Czechoslovakian bred.
He has all his original equipment.
He normally has the run of the basement.

when we get home he can come upstairs.
He will not stop doing his business in the basement.
For example I took him out three times last night and he squeezed out a
small pee out doors.
Later I went down to the basement. a large puddle of urine and a large turd.
Is he retarded ?
I have tried everything I can think of.

Old December 24th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 21:01:50 GMT, "Ed"
wrote:

He is four years old, East German and Czechoslovakian bred.
He has all his original equipment.
He normally has the run of the basement.

when we get home he can come upstairs.
He will not stop doing his business in the basement.
For example I took him out three times last night and he squeezed out a
small pee out doors.
Later I went down to the basement. a large puddle of urine and a large turd.
Is he retarded ?
I have tried everything I can think of.

What have you done to teach him not to go in the basement? If your
parents hadn't taught you to go in the toilet, you'd be pooping and
peeing wherever you happened to be when the urge hit, too, and people
would be thinking you were retarded when actually you just were never
taught.

He has learned, probably from having to pee or poop in the basement
because that is where he is when you are not home, that there is a
spot down there that is a potty spot. Take him outside more regularly
(he must need to go more than just at night) and praise/treat him when
he goes outside. Use an enzymatic cleaner to clean up all of the
spots he has gone in the basement. If you don't use an enzymatic
cleaner, you may not see or smell it any more, but he will. The
enzymes eat up the pee and poop so it isn't there any more and doesn't
mark a potty spot. Then keep him with you all of the time, watching
for any signs that he is looking for a spot to go, interrupt him and
take him outside and tell him to go potty (or whatever phrase you want
to use) and praise/treat him for doing so outside as you asked. When
you can't be with him, don't give him the run of the whole basement.
Crate him or put him in a smaller room. A dog will avoid soiling his
den, but if the area is big enough, the dog can divide part of it as
being his den and another part as a potty spot outside of where he
normally hangs out in the basement.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old December 24th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Ed

My other two dogs have had no problem learning.
A one year old female German Shepherd and a eight year old Golden Retriever.
they go out in the morning as he does and then again when I come home from
work.
The other two stay in the regular part of the house because they have not
had a problem.

I will try the smaller area and the enzyme cleaner.

Old December 24th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Ed

Is there a particular enzyme cleaner that works well ?

Old December 24th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 22:49:29 GMT, "Ed"
wrote:

Is there a particular enzyme cleaner that works well ?

There are several brands. If you go to the pet store and ask for
them, they have a bunch on an aisle. Probably the best known is
Nature's Miracle. Simple Solutions has also worked for me in the
past. I think just about any of them on the shelf work. You can use
a blacklight to make sure the urine is gone if you aren't sure.

Old December 25th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

Ed wrote:
He is four years old, East German and Czechoslovakian bred.
He has all his original equipment.
He normally has the run of the basement.

when we get home he can come upstairs.
He will not stop doing his business in the basement.
For example I took him out three times last night and he squeezed out a
small pee out doors.
Later I went down to the basement. a large puddle of urine and a large turd.
Is he retarded ?
I have tried everything I can think of.

So, what is the "everything" you have tried? Dogs who are left
unsupervised and unhousetrained do their "buisness" wherever they
happen to be and walk away from it. If you don't see him do it, you
can't teach him not to. If he is managed or supervised, you can . Since
you say you can't get him to stop doing his business, I have to think
this has been an ongoing issue? In otherwords, he's never actually been
properly housetrained. I imagine by this time your basement smells like
a bathroom to him (and possibly you too) He needs to come upstairs. I
would crate or confine him to a fairly small area when unsupervised,
and limit his freedom until you have accomplished your goal. Which
means watching him, not letting him into far reaches of the house and
possibly even tethering him to you. You are going to have to go back
and housetrain him just like you should have when he was a puppy.

Old December 25th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

Ed wrote:
My other two dogs have had no problem learning.

Every dog is different.

Old December 26th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

On Dec 24, 1:01 pm, "Ed" wrote:
He is four years old, East German and Czechoslovakian bred.
He has all his original equipment.
He normally has the run of the basement.

when we get home he can come upstairs.
He will not stop doing his business in the basement.
For example I took him out three times last night and he squeezed out a
small pee out doors.
Later I went down to the basement. a large puddle of urine and a large turd.
Is he retarded ?
I have tried everything I can think of.

What breed did you say he is?

First let me say I take offense at your use of the word "retarted"! Not
something an intelligent person would say.

Second his breeding alone ( East German and Czech) are usually very
intelligent working lines. 2 of my previous GSD bitches were bred of
East German and Czech lines and were awesome schH dogs....sounds to me
like you have this boy locked in the basement and he isn't getting the
stimulation he needs. Crate train him and bring him upstairs with the
family. His intelligence and working ability are not being used to
their potential. Housetraining does not happen by sticking him in the
basement and expect him to housetrain himself....Bring him in the house
and make him a part of the family!

May I asked why you chose a working line dog if you were just going to
stick him in the basement?
Rehome him to someone that can give him a proper working home,
stimulate his mind, work his body and make him a full member of the
family...and think twice before you refer to the word retarted it is
clearly a word you know nothing about!

Old December 26th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

For a second, I thought maybe I wrote this while sleepwalking or something.
But the first paragraph is something I would never write, so that cleared
things up for me :-)

FWIW, I agree with everything else besides the language issue. Having had a
Czech working line GSD, they are dogs that need to be stimulated and worked
with, and definitely need guidance and incorporation into the
household.....at the very *least*.

I do call my pets "retardos" almost daily though.

Tara

"Tara" wrote in
ups.com:

snip
Old December 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sandy in OK

Tara wrote:
First let me say I take offense at your use of the word "retarted"! Not
something an intelligent person would say.

I agree that is very offensive. I am a bit surprised (not really) that
you found it less offensive for Melinda to call me "retardie"
repeatedly. But that is how things go on this group, apparently.