Mouser Muttley

Old December 4th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default Mouser Muttley

As the weather gets colder, I have noticed one or more mice in the house,
and Muttley has noticed them as well. I even saw a mouse scampering from
his bowl of kibble the other day. Last night when I came home I found that
Muttley had removed the plastic bowl I had kept in the bag of dog food, and
this morning he pulled it out again. Then I saw him stick his head in the
bag, even though I had put a cup of kibble in his bowl. It appered that he
was eating out of the bag, which he had never done before. But then he
popped his head out with a mouse in his mouth. It was barely alive, and
soon it expired. I don't think he deliberately killed it, but a 75 lb dog
has a hard time being gentle with such a tiny creature. Kinda reminds me of
Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men".

Paul and Sir Muttley

Old December 4th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message
As the weather gets colder, I have noticed one or more mice in the house,
and Muttley has noticed them as well. I even saw a mouse scampering from
his bowl of kibble the other day. Last night when I came home I found that
Muttley had removed the plastic bowl I had kept in the bag of dog food,
and this morning he pulled it out again. Then I saw him stick his head in
the bag, even though I had put a cup of kibble in his bowl. It appered
that he was eating out of the bag, which he had never done before. But
then he popped his head out with a mouse in his mouth. It was barely
alive, and soon it expired. I don't think he deliberately killed it, but a
75 lb dog has a hard time being gentle with such a tiny creature. Kinda
reminds me of Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men".

I hate to say this because i like mice, but GO MUTTLEY!! i'm impressed!!

We once had mice in this LOVELY apartment - we were on the second floor and
they'd run up the stairs and into the dog food closet. Kavik once saw one.
His eyes got huge. He stared. And then he looked at me like "MOM!! DID YOU
SEE THAT? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT!?!?!"

Old December 4th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Beth In Alaska" wrote in message

[...]

I did feel bad for the poor mouse, but Muttley is a dog of action, and I
like it that he often thinks for himself and takes matters into his own
paws.

But I really do miss my cat Photon, who once jumped off the counter and up
to a partially open cabinet door, snagged a mouse hiding behind it, and
then she somehow turned around and landed on the floor with the mouse in
her mouth! But then she dropped it, and it ran down a crack in the floor,
and she looked at me as if blaming me for having let it get away after she
went to all that trouble to catch it for me.

Paul and "The Better Mousetrap" Muttley

Old December 4th 07, 08:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

[...]

Photon is a great name for a cat. Sounds like it was fitting with her
acrobatics.
hopefully that mouse got the message and never came back.

Old December 4th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

I even saw a mouse scampering from
his bowl of kibble the other day.

What a good reason to not free feed.

--
Janet Boss
Old December 4th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
What a good reason to not free feed.

There's not exactly a shortage of those, is there?

I've started storing the dog food in bins. Back during the
rat invasion one evening I found a few of the dogs staring
fixedly at an open bag of food that was on the kitchen
counter, and before I had a chance to ask them about it
('cause they always answer), the side of the bag moved. I
am completely grossed-out by rats, so I stood back from it
and heaved marrow bones at the bag, and then feeling braver
I started poking at it with a ski pole. That was the
evening the last tattered remains of my dignity faded away
completely. Anyway, eventually the rat gave up and crawled
out, and Crow was ready and waiting. I drove straight down
to Petsmart (see the depths to which I was driven) and
picked up a food storage bin.

Old December 4th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
ACK! We get mice moving in to stay warm, but I keep all food sealed in
bins (or zipper bags, like Marcie's Prairie kibble) and inside cabinets
to boot. Rats are a whole 'nuther ballgame!

Yeah - it's just that I have so much dog food that it hasn't
been that convenient to bin it all up. I'm hoping to pick
up about 350 lbs. this weekend, and I have to figure out how
and where to store it to keep it safe from vermin.

Old December 4th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Several chest freezers? That's a lot of food!

It's pretty hard (i.e. nearly impossible) to find
top-quality performance feeds around here, so I'm picking up
enough to (I hope) last until spring.