OT- weekend warrior update

Old February 22nd 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default OT- weekend warrior update

I went to yesterday's exercise class. There was a substitute teacher.
We introduced ourselves. She started asking about what the usual
teacher does. I assured her that if she taught a good class and did it
her own way that would be great. I told her about how sore I'd gotten
last week and asked specifically to be shown easier ways to work the
same muscles. She enthusiastically agreed. She played music which,
while still not my favorite, wasn't nearly so bad as last time. The
class was smaller. Between that and her different style, she was able
to look around the room and correct each of us individually. She
singled me out once or twice in a good way to show me exactly how to
bend and move. There was one time when I zoned out and didn't realize
she was calling my name. I don't know what that's about. She didn't do
as much with the egg and nothing with the pole. (It's a weighted rod
that you hold to keep your shoulders straight, not something that you
dance around.)

Result: It's my thighs and sides that are sore today. I can turn over
in bed; I can't lower myself into a chair. It's not as bad as last
week. In fact, this is more of that good sore feeling as opposed to
that horrible sore feeling. I'm surprising myself in saying this, but
I'm looking foward to next week. I now have a sense of how long the
soreness will last and a sense that I'm making progress. (I'm also
quicker to take the margaritas and aspirin. I waited too long last time.)

--Lia

Old February 22nd 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Damn!

Well, maybe they'll do pole dancing next. Or you can probably find a class
somewhere else.

In any case, by the time you're finished with your present exercise class
you'll be in great shape to slither around the pole. .
Karla

Old February 22nd 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:17:25 GMT, "filly"
wrote:

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I went to yesterday's exercise class.

Well, maybe they'll do pole dancing next.

We'll want pictures!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Dr. Helen: Single Men in Never-Neverland.
http://pajamasmedia.com/2008/02/ask_dr_helen_8.php

So what would it take to alarm you?
http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?c...9_96039&page=1

"Lately, I feel like a stranger in my own land..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpRNkgqUPT0&eurl
Old February 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

filly wrote:

Well, maybe they'll do pole dancing next. Or you can probably find a class
somewhere else.

In any case, by the time you're finished with your present exercise class
you'll be in great shape to slither around the pole.

Funny you mention that. I haven't really made friends with anyone at
the gym. People are nice enough, but the conversations between women
tend to be about getting the best activities for their children and
getting the best personal care products for themselves. That's
comparing where to get hair color and cuts or where to get massages.
Nothing wrong with that, but not really my thing. There's a magazine
rack filled with People and Us magazines for people to read while
they're on treadmills. I bring in my Economist, Skeptical Inquirer, Art
Collector, Discover, and Sierra Club magazines when I'm through with
them. I wish I could meet the people who run off with them shortly
after I bring them in.

There's an exception. I've made friends with one woman I met there.
She noticed my Teaching Company CDs in their box in the locker room and
asked to borrow them. They were these cool set of lectures on the
history of language. About a year ago, we started meeting for lunch. I
like her. She's almost my age, going to college, majoring in sociology
with a specialty in gerontology. She's not sure what she'll be doing,
but it will probably involve working with the elderly, and she tells me
about neat classes in chemistry and an internship tutoring elderly
immigrants in English. She's in a long-term relationship as I am. She
has 2 step-children which I don't.

She's much more into fitness than I am, has an obese mother she doesn't
want to grow like, and takes more time with her appearance than I. She
takes a moment to fix her make-up and do her hair after a workout. I
change from sweatpants back to jeans and am ready to go. Anyway, we've
gotten to be friends, and I enjoy her company.

Only recently she revealed to me that she wasn't waiting tables before
she moved here. She was stripping. Pole dancing. Making good money
doing it and did it for years. She's not sorry she did it or anything
but has been put off by people's reactions when she tells them so she's
become more cautious about whom she tells.

Makes me think about getting into shape to slither around a pole. Maybe
she'll teach the class.

--Lia

Old February 23rd 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

[...]

this sounds like an intriguing class
you will be even less sore next week.

Old February 23rd 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
filly[_3_]

filly wrote:
[...]

I think that would really be fun. And you'd get to wear all sorts of tawdry
bits and pieces. Or not.
Karla
I got to slide down a fireman's pole once, I was around 10 or so. My uncle
was a fireman and he took us kids for a tour of the firehouse. Huge brass
pole, very shiny.

Old February 23rd 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
She noticed my Teaching Company CDs in their box in the locker room and
asked to borrow them.

It's not completely clear from your posts whether you're
listening to those while working out and reading those
magazines while on the cardio equipment, but if you are it
might help explain why you're getting so sore after class.
I've noticed that people who are distracted during their
workouts just aren't working as hard. They're careless
about their form on the weight equipment and they're barely
moving on the cardio. If you're distracting yourself while
working out, you're probably not in as good shape as you
would be if you were concentrating on what you're doing and
may be in worse shape than you think, so that you're not as
prepared as you think for a tough class.

Old February 23rd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

montana wildhack wrote:

Heh. It's the staff who think that no-one reads anything besides fitness
or trash magazines.

I've wondered about that. One time I saw a staff member go through the
rack and remove all but a few gossip mags. I was ready to object, but
then I realized that it made sense to remove anything that was past
date. So the monthly Art Collector and the Wilson Quarterly last
longer. Then other times, I think there's a conspiracy to make sure
only the fitness trash is there. I don't mind bringing my own reading
material. I do sort of mind the continuation of the stereotype that
people who are interested in fitness must be stupid and people who are
smart look like Dilton Doily, short, skinny, and with big round glasses.

--Lia

Old February 23rd 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
I do sort of mind the continuation of the stereotype that
people who are interested in fitness must be stupid and people who are
smart look like Dilton Doily, short, skinny, and with big round glasses.

Why do you care?

Old February 23rd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Melinda Shore wrote:

It's not completely clear from your posts whether you're
listening to those while working out and reading those
magazines while on the cardio equipment, but if you are it
might help explain why you're getting so sore after class.
I've noticed that people who are distracted during their
workouts just aren't working as hard. They're careless
about their form on the weight equipment and they're barely
moving on the cardio. If you're distracting yourself while
working out, you're probably not in as good shape as you
would be if you were concentrating on what you're doing and
may be in worse shape than you think, so that you're not as
prepared as you think for a tough class.

That's a good thought. I'm asking myself if it applies in my case, and
I don't think it does. I do read while on the cardio equipment, but I
have a hard time concentrating. I find the noise and blinking lights
distracting. That's why I prefer magazines over novels. There are more
natural places to stop and look around. I stop often to check my pulse
and to adjust the speed, more to have something to do than anything else.

I don't read on the weight equipment. I'm not on them long enough to
adjust a book in my lap. Same for the CDs. The little player broke
long ago. It held up remarkably well, but the 9th time it fell off the
stationary bike and went rolling across the floor, it gave up
altogether. I think my form on the weight equipment is good. I see
others with the jerky movements and the rests between reps, and I
congratulate myself for not being like them.

In my case, the most obvious explanation for the soreness is the likely
one. I'm working harder and working muscles that haven't been touched
by my previous workouts.

--Lia