Harley and allergies--what do I ask the vet to test for?

Old November 11th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

Default Harley and allergies--what do I ask the vet to test for?

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 09:15:11 -0600, diddy none wrote:

Nessa spoke these words of wisdom in
:
well the vet would like him to gain some weight....

I can see his hip bones when he walks... I can feel his shoulders when
he stands...
if he was shaved down he'd look skinny with all his fur he looks
fine.

oh this is so hard... I just want my boy to be happy and healthy...
Best Wishes,

I can see my boy's hip bones when he walks. He's covered in lots (I mean
LOTS) of fuzzy hair.
I can see his ribs though the fuzz. My vet would like him to gain weight.
My vet is used to looking at fat (Not fit) dogs. When my boy goes in the
breed ring and is observed by his peers who know what this breed does and
SHOULD look like, he's always complemented on his conditioning.

I don't doubt it Diddy. Newfs need to be stockier and he is still a
puppy... he's not grossly underweight but I would like to see him
pick up about 15-20 pounds.....

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Dog Mom to:
Hannah age 6.5 Pitador rescued age 9 weeks
Harley age 10 months Landseer Newfoundland
(Angel) Bagel went to Rainbow Bridge 9/18/08 my Newfandstuff age 8.5
Old November 11th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:17:53 -0500, "Shelly"
wrote:

"Dale Atkin" wrote in message

I don't recall... Is canidae a fairly high protein diet?

24% protein, so no.

so what would be considered High Protein?
Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Old November 11th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

so what would be considered High Protein?

Evo has 42% protein (and 22% fat, which is also higher than most other
kibbles).

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

I'd definitely have him checked for parasites, though it does sound like
food is the issue. On the one hand, if parasites are causing the problem,
I'd expect it to always be present. On the other hand, the amount of rice
he's been eating may have been sufficient to firm up his stools (it acts
as a binder).

Do you mean the problem to always be present (despite diet) or for the
parasites to always be visible in the stool?

Some parasitic infections have symptoms in waves, so the problem may get
better, then worse, better, then worse. If you're switching up the diet, its
certainly possible that you're catching the parasites during various stages
of their life cycle and attibuting the change in diet to the change in
symptoms.

As far as being always able to see it in the stool, concentrations in the
stool may be variable with respect to time, and fecal exams have a high
proportion of false negatives at any rate (exact average values depend a
great deal on technique, but even with good technique, you can still have a
high false negative...)

Dale

Old November 11th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Shelly wrote:
24% protein, so no.

24% is actually moderately high, but probably not high
enough in this day and age to be considered "high". Evo is
extremely high in protein.

I still tend to favor the notion that there's a feeding
problem rather than an unhealthy dog problem but being stuck
out here on the inner tubes and not having met the dog it's
just a guess.

Old November 11th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Dale Atkin" wrote in message

Do you mean the problem to always be present (despite diet) or for the
parasites to always be visible in the stool?

I mean that the problem--whatever it is--may be there regardless of what
he's eating, and that the rice may be masking one of the symptoms
(diarrhea).

Some parasitic infections have symptoms in waves, so the problem may
get better, then worse, better, then worse.

Sure. And that's why I alluded to the fact that the diet changes may be
coincidental with the changes in symptoms. If you're changing the diet
every couple of days, there's no way to guess from afar what might be
causing the diarrhea. At this point, if I were worried about my dog
losing or not gaining weight, I'd add another meal instead of changing
the food. At least until I could get to the vet and get some idea of
what's going on.

As far as being always able to see it in the stool,

No one has said that. In fact, I believe Janet pointed out that
something like giardia can be difficult to test for.

exact average values depend a great deal on technique, but even with
good technique, you can still have a high false negative...)

Yes. Which is why, with some parasites, it's not a bad idea to treat
for them even with a negative test, especially if you suspect that may
be the culprit.

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message

24% is actually moderately high, but probably not high
enough in this day and age to be considered "high". Evo is
extremely high in protein.

Evo is what I had in mind when I said that 24% isn't "fairly high."

Right now, I'm a little concerned that the duck and potato Harriet's on
is on the low end of protein and especially fat. Not sure what, if
anything, I'm going to do about that, as I want to get other issues
stabilized before touching her food. Ugh.

I still tend to favor the notion that there's a feeding
problem rather than an unhealthy dog problem but being stuck
out here on the inner tubes and not having met the dog it's
just a guess.

At this point, I don't even have a guess. I can see how the rice might
be actually causing a problem (in that if the dog's been on it long
enough, lowering the percentage could loosen stools), but that's
something I'd look at after ruling other stuff out.

--
Shelly

Old November 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Nessa[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:59:14 -0500, "Shelly"
wrote:

At this point, I don't even have a guess. I can see how the rice might
be actually causing a problem (in that if the dog's been on it long
enough, lowering the percentage could loosen stools), but that's
something I'd look at after ruling other stuff out.

he's been pretty much on the same amount of rice daily for at least 2
weeks now.

today is only 4 weeks he's with me. I'm frustrated because I hear
his brother, while not doing as well emotionally, is doing fine
physically. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.

well we see the nice lady vet at 2:15 and should have some more
answers when we get home.

BTW Hannah was very very very loose on the canidae too and after a
week on the rice and beef is up to half a cup of the new performatrin
lamb and brown rice and doing quite well stool wise.

Best Wishes,

Nessa
----
Old November 11th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Nessa" wrote in message:

I checked and it's available in my area but before I go switching
around foods again I think he needs to see the vet

It doesn't sound like the food switch has been given enough time. 2 days
might be too soon to up the portions, and you may want to do it more
gradually (smaller increments, once a week or 10 days). FWIW, I've heard A
LOT of people say that their dogs that were fine on Canidae all this time
are having tummy troubles with it once they changed the formula, so it just
might be that this particular food does not agree with him. Although
Canidae is not crazy calorie dense like Evo and others of its ilk, it is
still on the higher calorie end of the spectrum, and he just might not be
able to handle that. Additionally, giant breed puppies shouldn't be on
anything nearing high octane food anyway (recommended 21 - 24% protein, 12 -
14% fat), so if you decide to switch, you may want to look for something
that is on the lower end of the calorie spectrum.

Suja

Old November 11th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Nessa" wrote in message

I'm frustrated because I hear
his brother, while not doing as well emotionally, is doing fine
physically. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong.

Stop comparing the two. They are different dogs, and because one is
doing X does not mean that you are doing something wrong if your dog
doesn't also do X.

well we see the nice lady vet at 2:15 and should have some more
answers when we get home.

Good! In the meantime, breathe.

BTW Hannah was very very very loose on the canidae too and after a
week on the rice and beef is up to half a cup of the new performatrin
lamb and brown rice and doing quite well stool wise.

So it sounds like it may be as much the food as anything. It's still
best to go to the vet, though, just to help rule out other
possibilities.

Good luck!

--
Shelly

Introducing Harley Nessa Dog behavior 64 October 28th 08 12:02 PM
Harley and the Steps. Nessa[_2_] Dog behavior 29 October 25th 08 04:23 PM
How to Test Your Dog for Food Allergies ashley ross Dog activities 0 June 26th 08 11:41 AM
How to Test Your Dog for Food Allergies jose clark Dogs - general 0 January 28th 08 09:23 AM
Harley went home Kathleen Dog behavior 5 August 25th 07 06:47 PM