Puppy Pads

Old December 7th 10, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Default Puppy Pads

We've had for our area an unseasonal cold snap. With Mabel Anne new to us,
we are still learning things about the grande old lady. One is she does
_not_ like to pee or poop outside in 15F windchill factor (26F actual)
weather. She'll go outside and there is this almost comical 'Oh NO! Let me
in NOW' sorta look. (Cash loves the cold as long as it isn't raining or the
grass isn't wet).

After 2 weeks with no more indoor issues other than the night when she got
her heartworm meds (makes for having to poop a bit more often and that was
our fault), she had issues when the real coldsnap hit.

We got a puppy pad tray and some pads. So far, if she doesn't go outside,
she runs to the tray and uses it with no issues.

I know this isn't 'optimal' but she has probably 10-12 years of training at
using a doggie door apparently and there is no way to install one in my
house. Also the foster on the phone with me 2 days ago said 'umm, gee I
know one had issues but wasn't sure which one'. No blame there to the
foster as she has a houseload and Mabel doesn't just walk up to you then
poop/pee while you are watching (LOL).

I'm worried that Cash will start using her puppy-pad tray but so far no
signs of it. If any here have experience with an older dog who is mixed
with a younger one and this sort of thing, please tell me what happened.

Old December 8th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 18:15:11 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

We've had for our area an unseasonal cold snap. With Mabel Anne new to us,
we are still learning things about the grande old lady. One is she does
_not_ like to pee or poop outside in 15F windchill factor (26F actual)
weather. She'll go outside and there is this almost comical 'Oh NO! Let me
in NOW' sorta look.

I've seen that look on my whippets' faces.

We got a puppy pad tray and some pads. So far, if she doesn't go outside,
she runs to the tray and uses it with no issues.

I know this isn't 'optimal' but she has probably 10-12 years of training at
using a doggie door apparently and there is no way to install one in my
house.

If it works for her and you, IMO it doesn't matter if it's optimal.
She's old, and she's had a lot of changes in her life.

I'm worried that Cash will start using her puppy-pad tray but so far no
signs of it. If any here have experience with an older dog who is mixed
with a younger one and this sort of thing, please tell me what happened.

I have a friend who uses puppy pads for her IG - actually the IG is my
IG's littermate sister, but she's much smaller than he is and is less
tolerant of the cold. And, frankly, we were lucky with Teddy - his
housebreaking is just about perfect. Anyway, she has not had trouble
with her other dogs trying to use the puppy pads, and she has a couple
of smaller (25 lb) dogs.

Old December 8th 10, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

We've had for our area an unseasonal cold snap. With Mabel Anne new to
us,
we are still learning things about the grande old lady. One is she does
_not_ like to pee or poop outside in 15F windchill factor (26F actual)
weather. She'll go outside and there is this almost comical 'Oh NO! Let
me
in NOW' sorta look.

I've seen that look on my whippets' faces.

Hehe. Only thing a wee bit suprising is Cash has much shorter fur but seems
to have a thin undercoat which Mabel doesn't have. She 'looks' more cold
tolerant but isn't. Also her underbelly is almost furless still and growing
in. Combination of a spay job, lesions and we think possibly food allergy.
She nibbled or licked constantly on her belly 2 weeks ago and has stopped
now on the new food. Not much cold protective fur there yet.

It takes time to discover a new dog. Today she turned a particular way and
I didn't like the look of a nipple but on feeling it, nothing seemed amiss.

We got a puppy pad tray and some pads. So far, if she doesn't go outside,
she runs to the tray and uses it with no issues.

I know this isn't 'optimal' but she has probably 10-12 years of training
at
using a doggie door apparently and there is no way to install one in my
house.

If it works for her and you, IMO it doesn't matter if it's optimal.
She's old, and she's had a lot of changes in her life.

Thats what I figure and if she needs coddling, no problem. It's looking
like she has a little warning and needs out 'right then' but if it's too
cold, she can't handle it. Best guess here.

I'm worried that Cash will start using her puppy-pad tray but so far no
signs of it. If any here have experience with an older dog who is mixed
with a younger one and this sort of thing, please tell me what happened.

I have a friend who uses puppy pads for her IG - actually the IG is my
IG's littermate sister, but she's much smaller than he is and is less
tolerant of the cold. And, frankly, we were lucky with Teddy - his
housebreaking is just about perfect. Anyway, she has not had trouble
with her other dogs trying to use the puppy pads, and she has a couple
of smaller (25 lb) dogs.

Ok! I figure then there shouldn't be any problems. Cash has a few times
(hurricane weather) just said 'nope, not going out' but when he got to the
eyeballs floating, he either went out or used the cat litter pan (pissing
off the cat no end!).

Old December 10th 10, 09:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"cshenk" wrote in message
I'm worried that Cash will start using her puppy-pad tray but so far no

signs of it. If any here have experience with an older dog who is mixed
with a younger one and this sort of thing, please tell me what
happened.

I put down puppypads for Ginnie when I went out and at night and she used
them with no problem. Dibby would occasionally mark them but it wasn't a
problem . It helps if your dogs are small .

We've been having cold weather here and my new dog Pip isn't so keen to go
out and I stand on the doorstep and watch him to give him confidence and to
make sure he goes. Some dogs worry they are going to be shut out and sit on
the doorstep trying to get back in. The Go Potty thing is useful.
Al

Old December 10th 10, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Alison" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

put down puppypads for Ginnie when I went out and at night and she used
them with no problem. Dibby would occasionally mark them but it wasn't a
problem . It helps if your dogs are small .

So far, Cash has just sniffed them.

We've been having cold weather here and my new dog Pip isn't so keen to go
out and I stand on the doorstep and watch him to give him confidence and
to make sure he goes. Some dogs worry they are going to be shut out and
sit on the doorstep trying to get back in. The Go Potty thing is useful.

Yeah, we always have someone by them when they are let out just to pee/poop.
Today it's warmed up a good bit (almost 60F?) so they were let out for about
10 mins just to sniff the breeze.

As it got warmer, Mabel Anne didn't need the puppy pads but we keep the tray
out 'just in case' and here have been no further accidents. She's used it
once in the night and one other time in the day. I checked the petsmart for
the bulk bags (haven't checked BJ's yet) and i can get them for 22cents
each. BJ's will probably have them for much less.

Old December 13th 10, 12:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sharon Delarose[_2_]

Our temps are dropping like rocks. It was suppose to have gotten down
to 13 degrees last night. No idea if it did but it sure was cold!

So our little Sierra newbie is encountering her first winter cold. As I
HATE being cold, I've been letting her go by herself instead of walking
her down with the leash.

So far, so good! She goes down, does her business, and comes right back
up :-)

I guess it had to take a cold spell for me to graduate her to the next
step, LOL!

She has already graduated from being penned at night. Now she has
freedom in the room. She graduated from being on leash indoors to
freedom of whatever floor we are on with a gate blocking the stairs.
She's progressing really well and I am very proud of her!

--
Bad Dog Books
http://books.gityasome.com
Old December 16th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Sharon Delarose" wrote

Our temps are dropping like rocks. It was suppose to have gotten down
to 13 degrees last night. No idea if it did but it sure was cold!

Pretty bad here too and for the first time in my memory, snow before
January. It's snowing now and the ground is frozen so it's sticking for the
second time this week.

So our little Sierra newbie is encountering her first winter cold. As I
HATE being cold, I've been letting her go by herself instead of walking
her down with the leash.

Grin, works for me! Mabel now flips her ears when she wants out, but she's
not very loud so at night she noses Cash and flips them at him and he wakes
one of us ;-)

She's slowly gaining weight back after heartworm treatment but vet says
another 4 lbs probably needed. Coat growing back in nicely as well now that
we have her on grain free. Her coat was fine when found but degraded while
with fosters it seems? They didn't grain free feed and she has *all* the
classic symptoms of issues which went away on grain free. Even the fosters
had her on a lower grain food of the best they could afford from the
charity, suspecting issues in that area.

Her first real vet appointment is the 27th. She's had a preliminary
screening though which told us her weight guesstimate. 27th, she gets a
full checkup and I'll have her records then.

Old August 11th 12, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

a href="http://www.yourpuppypads.com/"puppy pads/a are best option for puppies.
Old August 12th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

I have no idea who you are, but you need an education about Effective
housetraining.

By using puppy pads or even canine litter boxes, you are Teaching the
puppy to eliminate in the house. Not wise, as many puppies do not get
the idea that the pad is the only place to "go". And then you may have
to completely retrain the little snort to "go" outdoors because not all
dogs generalize well.

And pretty soon, you have a DOG with a bigger bladder...... possibly a
male hiking his leg to mark...... If the puppy will need, because of
living in a 5th floor walk-up apartment, it is better to start with a
litter box or one of the fake-grass-on-a-tray devices. Less expensive
in the long run, and you don't have to retrian the dog to a new approved
"potty".

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old August 20th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
I have no idea who you are, but you need an education about Effective
housetraining.

By using puppy pads or even canine litter boxes, you are Teaching the
puppy to eliminate in the house. Not wise, as many puppies do not get
the idea that the pad is the only place to "go". And then you may have
to completely retrain the little snort to "go" outdoors because not all
dogs generalize well. .

Agree with you Jo.
My rabbit used them when her arthritis stopped her hopping into her
litter tray and I used them for my old dog, Ginnie at night as she couldnt
hold her wee but would never use them for a puppy.
alison