Dog haters

Old January 7th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Holly

Default Dog haters

My dog Jasper absolutely loves to meet new people. When we're out on
the walking trails, he likes to run up to other people to greet them .
He would never bite or hurt anybody, he just wants to say hi, and for
people to pet him. I had a rather upsetting incident today . we were
out on our regular walking route, when we encounter this youngish
looking guy(I'd say maybe about late 20's early 30's) coming towards
us from opposite directions, so Jasper immediately runs over, and
started sniffing his leg. He just walked around Jasper and kept on
walking, totally ignoring him.

Me: Don't worry, he's perfectly friendly.
Him: I don't care, I don't want to play with your dog, leave me alone,
not everyone loves dogs you know.

I was in absolute shock. I really can't believe the nerve of this
asshole. Would it have killed him to just take few moments to pet
Jasper. What kind of a loser doesn't like dogs anyway.

I just needed to vent
Old January 7th 11, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

"Holly" wrote

My dog Jasper absolutely loves to meet new people. When we're out on
the walking trails, he likes to run up to other people to greet them .
He would never bite or hurt anybody, he just wants to say hi, and for
people to pet him. I had a rather upsetting incident today . we were
out on our regular walking route, when we encounter this youngish
looking guy(I'd say maybe about late 20's early 30's) coming towards
us from opposite directions, so Jasper immediately runs over, and
started sniffing his leg. He just walked around Jasper and kept on
walking, totally ignoring him.

Umm, Holly, I don't know how big Jasper is but that would disturb me too and
I like dogs.

*You* know Jasper. I don't. Being rushed by a dog running up to me would
make me quite worried for a moment until I could tell there was no danger.

Me: Don't worry, he's perfectly friendly.
Him: I don't care, I don't want to play with your dog, leave me alone,
not everyone loves dogs you know.

I was in absolute shock. I really can't believe the nerve of this
asshole. Would it have killed him to just take few moments to pet
Jasper. What kind of a loser doesn't like dogs anyway.

Why in shock? The fellow was plain about it and didn't kick the dog. He
may dislike them, be allergic to them, fear them, have been bitten by one,
or any number of other things. It's not your call.

I'd teach the dog to not to 'run up to other people to greet them' when they
are strangers. The larger Jasper is, the more important this is.

Old January 8th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 14:25:29 -0800 (PST), Holly
wrote:

[...]

I think people who really dislike dogs are missing an awful lot.
However, you're the one in the wrong here. People are under no
obligation to pet, interact with or even tolerate your dog in public.
You need to keep him on leash so he doesn't bother people who don't
want to be bothered by a dog. You could be putting him at risk if you
don't.

Old January 8th 11, 02:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
starcat

"Holly" wrote in message ..
[...]

Personally I would have loved to meet Jasper. I don't even object when
doggies jump up on me, especially when they're just puppies. But this
gentleman was simply being honest with you, and you should respect that.
I've seen non-dog-lovers actually kick a dog or scream awful things at a dog
who comes up to them uninvited. Besides, I kind of look at it as a two-way
street, since I don't appreciate people who rush up to my dog and pet him
uninvited. I'd much rather they ask first.

starcat

Old January 8th 11, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Holly" wrote in message

Me: Don't worry, he's perfectly friendly.
Him: I don't care, I don't want to play with your dog, leave me alone,
not everyone loves dogs you know.

I was in absolute shock. I really can't believe the nerve of this
asshole. Would it have killed him to just take few moments to pet
Jasper. What kind of a loser doesn't like dogs anyway.

I just needed to vent

You're over reacting. Are upset because you feel Jasper's feelíngs were
hurt?
I'm sure it didn't bother him. Not everyone loves dogs. Tare all sorts
of reasons why they don't and you have to respect that.
Al

Old January 9th 11, 12:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Holly" wrote in message

I was in absolute shock. I really can't believe the nerve of
this asshole. Would it have killed him to just take few
moments to pet Jasper. What kind of a loser doesn't like
dogs anyway.

I just needed to vent

I agree with others who allow for the fact that some people do not like dogs
(or cats, or children, or whatever), and they are entitled to their feelings
and should not be expected to welcome or interact with them if they so
choose. My right to swing my fist, or allow my dog to approach you, ends
with your nose or leg or even your reasonable zone of comfort. A couple
years ago I was walking Muttley to the end of the road to observe the BGE
crew repairing downed lines, and I saw my neighbor there. I asked him if he
would like to meet Muttley, and I was surprised when he said "No". But I
respected his wishes and kept Muttley close by and on leash.

Paul and Muttley
www.muttleydog.com

Old January 9th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Holly

Thanks for all the replies. When I had some time to calm down, I tried
to look at things more objectively. I understand what you are all
saying. Not everyone likes dogs, and that's fair enough(even if I have
a hard time understanding it). But I am not the only Dog owner on this
trail who let's their dog roam loose. I really have to wonder why
somebody who doesn't like dogs would go walking in an area where there
are sure to be loose dogs going up to them.
Old January 9th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
P E Schoen

"Holly" wrote in message

Thanks for all the replies. When I had some time to calm down,
I tried to look at things more objectively. I understand what you
are all saying. Not everyone likes dogs, and that's fair enough
(even if I have a hard time understanding it). But I am not the only
Dog owner on this trail who let's their dog roam loose. I really
have to wonder why somebody who doesn't like dogs would go
walking in an area where there are sure to be loose dogs going
up to them.

That is similar to saying I wonder why anyone would go to a popular area
downtown where there will be lots of druggies and bums aggressively
soliciting money from people. It is true that this would eventually deter
some people from visiting the area, but those who really enjoy it, and the
businesses that thrive because people are there, will take action to
prohibit the miscreants from making them feel uncomfortable.

If the trail is specifically designated as an off-leash dog park, then
nobody should mind if a dog runs up to them, but even then some people may
get nervous and even use lethal force against a dog they think may be
dangerous, and dogs should not approach or jump on anyone without
permission. My first reaction to your post was to agree that the man's
attitude was unfriendly, but after more thought and other opinions, and even
my own experience, I realize that it is important to respect peoples' rights
to enjoy public property without being bothered by dogs or any other animals
(including children).

Paul and Muttley
www.youtube.com/PaulAndMuttley

Old January 9th 11, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sonofdog

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 22:58:44 -0500, P E Schoen wrote:

My first reaction to your post was to agree that the man's attitude was
unfriendly, but after more thought and other opinions, and even my own
experience, I realize that it is important to respect peoples' rights to
enjoy public property without being bothered by dogs or any other
animals (including children).

Paul and Muttley
www.youtube.com/PaulAndMuttley

good for you Paul, I hope you'll recall more often all your experiences
and that will motivate you to train Muttley
Old January 9th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet

On Jan 7, 5:25*pm, Holly wrote:
[...]

Seriously? Your dog shouldn't be approaching people without your
permission. YOU need to realize that not everyone will think your dog
is the most wonderful thing that has ever existed. No, not even
guests in your home. It doesn't have to take a dog "hater" to not
want a dog rushing up to them or to not want to pet a strange dog.
I adore dogs. That doesn't mean I think it is appropriate to
literally unleash a dog "at" everyone in public.