Need help cranky chihuahua

Old September 28th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
MHH

Default Need help cranky chihuahua

"Joanie" wrote:
I feel so sorry for my little munchkin.

Don't. Treat her fairly, consistently, and with tact, but remember that
into every doggie life a few unavoidable chores must fall.

I've tried treats, they don't work she is too smart. I'm at a loss
and stressed myself now.

She's likely too stressed to eat.

Jo suggested clipping nails every 7-10 days. I'd start with handling her
feet EVERY DAY, maybe two or three times a day for VERY brief periods.
Many, many dogs are sensitive about having their feet handled but toenail
clipping is blamed because that's the only time anyone insists on
touching their toes.

Gentle manipulation is what's called for. Foot massage, gently spread
the toes to check the webbing between them, look for scrapes or raw
spots. Treats if she'll take them. Be matter-of-fact, be brief, do it
and move on.

Introduce the clippers once she's accepted having her feet touched.
Don't try to do everything at once. If you clip one toenail a day
without major coniptions, it's a win.

If you do happen to catch the quick, it's NO BIG DEAL. It's not the
operatic Armageddon tragedy writ large, no matter what your dog tells
you. I've got one who's a total drama queen; she screams bloody murder
whether she's been quicked or not, but she's realized after many years
and much practice that having her toenails cut is inevitable.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo:
Sir Edgar "Lucky" Pan-Waffles; ANZ Pas de Duke, RN, CGC; ANZ Wizard's
Old September 28th 11, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Char, I don't know where you live that the yard/pavement actually file
down the nails adequately..... but it sure ain't anywhere I've lived.
Even when my 160 lb Dane was my running partner. If you hear the nails
clicking the surface, they need to be shorter.

Now.... If you are fortunate enough to have a dog that has such short
"quick" vessels that it takes longer than 7-10 days to start clicking
after you trim back to the quick, you may not need to do them so often.
The soil in my yard not only doesn't really shorten nails, it files them
into needle points if I let them go beyond 12-14 days. (Note that it's
an old wives tale that trimming nails causes the "quick vessel" to
recede. Not so.)

We have a newspaper photo that we show our students on the night that we
discuss nail care. It's of a chihuahua being held by her teenage owner,
at a local festival. The visible nails are a Minimum of an inch
long..... on a dog that looks to weigh about 6-8 lbs. No way the dog
could walk normally. Several years ago, a young lady brought her 2 yo
poodle to be tested for pet therapy work. We asked her to put the dog
on the floor and show us how well she walked on leash. The gal said
that the dog only liked to walk on carpet or in grass. I had her put
the dog up on the picnic table..... More than one nail on each foot
vanished into the paw pads, and a couple poked out on top of the foot.
Both dew claws grew into the legs. The boss offered to pay the vet bill
to get the nails dealt with. Turned out that Mom did the grooming
(quite nicely), but didn't like to do nails.... AND the vet had never
noticed the problem, apparently! We explained to the girl that the dog
was being crippled and kept in pain when ever she tried to walk. No vet
ever contacted the boss to get paid, and we never heard from the girl
again. Unfortunately, I subsequently discovered that a good number of
groomers in this area don't do nails either! ACK!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 29th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Joanie

Hi everyone,
Thank you all so much for helping me with your suggestions. When I bought
Petria from the breeder she was 500grams, 3 months old. She was terrified of
having a bath even though I tried to hold her in my hands to make her feel
safe she wriggled a lot and her little baby nails were so sharp like needles
my hands and part of my arms got scratched. I was at the pharmacy to get
something for myself and the saleslady asked me what had happened to my poor
hands and arms. I told her about my little one and she suggested "Rescue
Remedy". I bought it but it has absolutely no effect on Petria at all.
Thankfully, she in fine in the bath now. Sounds as though I'm bathing her
every other day but I only bath her when she needs it, same with my other
Chihuahua, just when they get a bit "woofy". I will start again to handle
her feet, I used to do that but she hates having her feet touched but will
start doing it again and not give up this time. She loves getting the back
of her ears scratched but there is no way she will let me put a bit of
cotton in there to clean her ears, it's so frustrating. I guess I'll just
have to keep trying with her nails and feet. Her nails are black so it's
hard to see the quick, that's why the Vet's nurse only takes a very small
amount, sometimes I feel she hasn't clipped them at all. I walk the girls
most days but the pavement doesn't seem to wear the nails down.
thanks again for all the suggestions.
Joan.
"MHH" wrote in message
44.100...

Old October 8th 11, 08:38 AM
Lorraine Lorraine is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
On 9/28/2011 12:37 AM, Jo Wolf wrote:
This owner is in Australia. She may or may not be able to find Rescue
Remedy there easily,

It's sold online.

but there is highly likely to be some other herbal
or homeopathic calming compound readily available at natural food stores
(for humans) and/or pet supply stores. I have never had good results
with Rescue Remedy for my dogs, and despite what some owners have
claimed, when I've watched dogs before and after being given a dose or
two, I haven't seen a change. The herbals, if of good quality, tended
to give better results....

How about some product names.

but dealing with a toy breed, hesitate to
give such a recommendation without information about doseage.

The problem with nail cutting came before the problem with the muzzle.

Nails need to be done approximately every 7-10 days to keep them from
banging into the floor/ground constantly.

I feel that is terribly excessive. Of course if all you are doing is
filing it may need done more often. This doesn't take into account the
activity level of the dog either. Younger more active dogs don't need
them cut at all.

In my nearly 35 years of dog ownership experience, twenty+ in purebred
rescue, and as a professional trainer dealing with pet owners, spreading
out the timing between nail work does not improve the situation.

It would if the dog is so traumatized that it's almost impossible to
have it done. The poor thing needs a break!

That's
why I suggested filing, as well as grinding and clipping. There's more
than one way to get there from here.....

Yes, she should talk with a Good goomer. One recommended by folks who
regularly have their dogs professionally groomed.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA
If you want to know even more, descriptions of the Sept. 27 and Oct. 4 episodes from the NBC press site are below.

"To Keep Us Safe," Sept. 27: "As the shockwave of the plane dissipates, President Martinez's (Blair Underwood) staff must work quickly to assess what happened and how to respond. Director of National Intelligence, Blake Sterling, (?eljko Ivanek) locks down Sophia (Laura Innes) for interrogation. The conspiracy widens, engulfing FBI Agent Collier (guest star Heather McComb) and Carter (guest star D. B. Sweeney), a mercenary with questionable ties. Meanwhile, a shadowy figure, Thomas (Clifton Collins, Jr.), emerges with knowledge of the detainees and their plan. Jason Ritter, Sarah Roemer, Ian Anthony Dale, Scott Patterson, Taylor Cole, Lisa Vidal, and Bill Smitrovich also star. Michael Whaley, Angel Desai and Wes Ramsey guest star. Directed by Jeffrey Reiner."
Old October 8th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
cshenk

Lorraine wrote in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:
Char;384688 Wrote:
On 9/28/2011 12:37 AM, Jo Wolf wrote:-

This owner is in Australia. She may or may not be able to find
Rescue Remedy there easily,-

If you want to know even more, descriptions of the Sept. 27 and Oct. 4
episodes from the NBC press site are below.

???? Did you just post to the wrong group and person?

Old October 18th 11, 08:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Joanie

"Joanie" wrote in message
ond.com...
[...]
"MHH" wrote in message
44.100...
"Joanie" wrote:
[...]

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would come back with some good news. I was taking my little
Petria to the Vet to get her nails clipped, it was expensive but the last
time I took her the nurse asked me NOT to come quite so often and I was only
going every 6 weeks, she wanted me to leave it for 3 months. I couldn't do
that, her nails were so long yesterday I found a wonderful groomer. She did
Petria's nails with no problems, and cleaned her ears although she said her
ears were pretty clean, surprising since she would never let me do it. I am
so happy. the groomer was so lovely and gentle with Petria who was not
stressed like with the Vet nurses. also, she only charged me $5. I couldn't
believe it. I was asked to bring her every 4 weeks for nail clipping. I
prefer that, better than 3 months.
anyway. just thought I would let you know....no more upsets for my precious
little one.
thanks again for all your help. Now if only I could fix my desktop
computer..hahah.
Regards, Joan.

Old October 18th 11, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

--
Alison,
Baby, I've been here before, I've seen this post and I've read this thread.

"Joanie" wrote in message
[...]

Oh that's good! Thankd for letting us know.
My vets nurse told me to come back every two months which wasnt enough
for my tiny dog Dibby. I trim them once a month.
Ali

Old October 24th 11, 08:15 PM
orpets orpets is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Wolf View Post
Joan, even though you're an experienced Chihuahua owner, this one is
different. And she's got your number. {grin and groan} Oh, boy, has
she ever! She even thinks she's in charge! So that's where you need to
start on a reform school program.... getting her respect and trust,
which you do not have at present.

First, she needs a Nothing In Life Is Free program. This is very simple
to do.... no pain, no fear, just rules that you must follow and enforce
CONSISTENTLY. It will be more difficult for you to follow than it will
be to her to make the lifestyle changes.

Although the Chihuahua is somewhat delicate due to size, she is still
One Tough Cookie both physically and psychologically.

First.... I have a reading assignment for you, so you understand what is
what and what is not. Go to Phouka Dog Pages: Pack Hierarchy to
read about pack structure. Then go to
Nothing in Life is Free by Lynda Adame and read about the
program itself. There are many other web sites with the Nothing In Life
Is
Free Program, and each is slightly different. You can find those with
a simple search.

Basically, your little tyrant must Earn everything that she perceives as
good.... dinner, petting, a game with you, a walk, a treat, a toy. She
does this by following commands promptly and correctly. One time you
may require her to sit, another time to come, to shake hands, to lie
down.... If she doesn't know some commands, teaching her is necessary.
More on that in a minute. If she doesn't follow the command promptly,
the FIRST TIME you say the word, she doesn't get that desired thing or
activity.

If she doesn't know sit, down (lie down), come, off (get off), leave
it, and how to walk politely on leash without pulling, get thee to a
good basic obedience class. Your vet clinic staff can make some good
recommendations. Good obedience instructors at chain pet stores are
rarer than hens teeth. You want a dog club or private training school.
You will learn to teach her, she will learn to follow your commands, and
she will learn to both trust you and respect you. The Nothing In Life
Is Free Program supports the training process, and the training process
supports the NILIF Program.... so even if she knows some or all of those
commands, a class, with other dogs, will still be a terrific boost. It
all becomes a way of life.

Then you can start to work on the grooming issues of nails and bathing
and brushing. It is quite possible that you will need to use a muzzle
for some length of time. This is a safety measure for you. But as she
becomes more cooperative there are other tricks to the trade that you
can introduce.

For instance, I flip my small dogs onto their backs and tuck them
between my thigh and the arm of my favorite chair, dog head hanging
slightly over the front edge. I FILE the nails using a large coarse
grade nail file (emery board) from the beauty supply store, one nail at
a time. You may find a narrow one works better. I use treats lavishly
to keep dog's mind off what I am doing. At first, I'm happy to get one
or two nails done in a single session.

But I also use the approach of getting the dog up out of it's "home",
the floor, onto a table or counter top.... or a regular grooming table
(discuss with a groomer; s/he will have catalogs and suggestions). On a
regular table or counter top, I put a rubber bath mat or a dampened
towel (won't slide). Dog can be on it's side or standing. I clip the
nails or use a Dremel. A Dremel is a small electric tool for grinding
things.... using a stone or sandpaper drums. The one I'm using now is
the smallest model from WalMart's home improvement department, about
$19-20, rechargeable, two speeds. When running, the dremel shouldn't be
in contact with a nail for more than about 3-ish seconds at a time (nail
gets HOT). Use treats lavishily. In fact, I use lots of peanut butter
or squirt cheese.... a wad wiped inside the upper front teeth, on my
forearm or back of a hand to be licked off. Or combine clipping nails
and rounding off the sharp edges with a nail file (human, NOT pet
version... which doesn't work very well) or the Dremel.

If her nails are white, the Dremel almost "melts them away". If black,
it takes longer as the dark nails are harder.

If you do nails every 7-10 days, there's little that has to be taken
off.... and the dog gets more used to it and calmer. If you have
reasonably skilled help, put the muzzle on Madam Herself and one of you
hold the dog across your chest, inside the arms, legs hanging down
keeping human face turned away from her face, even with the muzzle. Get
in there and clip away from below.

Pet supply houses (Wholesale Pet Supplies, Dog Grooming | PetEdge.com is one of many good places
with a wide variety of professional supplies.... reliable, good people,
and I don't get a kickback) carry a suction cup thingie that attaches a
tether to the inside of a sink or bathtub.... tether fastens to the
collar which must be snug enough that it Can't slide over her head.
This keeps the dog from bailing out, but frees your hands a little more,
making the bath quicker and easier for all. Big treat after. Note that
few dogs need a bath much more often than every 3-6 MONTHS.... My dogs
haven't had a bath in Ages, but they smell fine. I use unscented baby
wipes to do some rubby-scrubby about once a week to every two weeks....
and this leaves the natural oils on the skin so it doesn't dry out and
cause the itchies, while cleaning the hairs.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA
Wow. Those was really great tips. I also have a chihuahua and it act just like the same as Joanie's. But it is ok now after he turned 1 year old.

chihuahua Hornings Dog breeds 1 June 25th 07 06:31 PM
Chihuahua won't come juanita Dog behavior 0 July 19th 04 06:19 AM
Female Chihuahua "mounted" Male Chihuahua - Whats up with that? Eric Dog behavior 3 May 22nd 04 05:27 AM
Female Chihuahua "mounted" Male Chihuahua - Whats up with that? Eric Dog behavior 0 May 22nd 04 01:06 AM
Female Chihuahua "mounted" Male Chihuahua - Whats up with that? Eric Dog behavior 0 May 22nd 04 01:06 AM