Teaching to walk on lose lead

Old December 3rd 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bassman2

Default Teaching to walk on lose lead

So, here's what I do (about 10 months old German Pointer):

1. Put leash on dog, in backyard
2. If he pulls on leash, I stop, say 'ah-ah", give a slight tug on the
lead, and make him go behind me, on my left. When he does, give a
treat
3. I proceed to walk, and hold a treat in my left hand, about waste
level, if he is not pulling on lead
4. As we leave the backyard, on a lose leash, I reward him every 20
steps or so, if he keeps walking alongside and behind me. At this
stage, he is constantly using his nose to get the treat out of my
closed hand.
5. If he pulls on the lead, I say "ah-ah" in a calm voice, and also
give a slight tug on the lead. I wait for him to stop, go behind me
and we start to walk again. I give him a treat as we start.

Seems to be working, however, need to ensure instructions are
understood by the rest of the family, if correct.

So, is above basically correct? Is it best to do this constantly, for
a few weeks, in a setting where there are few, is any distractions? I
am using chicken strips, about the size of an olive, this seems to be
the #1 motivator thus far. PS - I ONLY use chicken for teaching how to
walk.

Also, how do you stop from getting too excited when he can sense we
are going somewhere fun, like the leash free park?

Thank you
Old December 5th 12, 09:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Time to start decreasing the use of treats in front of nose, and making
rewards for staying in place irregularly irregular in timing.... pretty
much random.

Now is a good time to start playing Oops or Sneak Away.. No treats,
no corrections with leash, no warning/commands about stops or turns.
Put leash in left hand with about 3-4 feet of leash between you and
dog, put hand on belly button. Place right hand over left hand. You
will Not move hands. Give your walk command.... like "let's go", and
start walking. Don't just go in a straight line; make turns, change
your speed. Every time the leash is out straight, you move a different
direction from the one the dog's nose is pointing toward..... back up,
to your right moving sideways, pivot and reverse your direction, pivot
and move at a right angle to your right. You can make a comment like
"silly dog", "oops", "point for me" when you have to make one of those
moves and he gets a tug because he wasn't paying attention. When he
changes directions before he gets a tug, he gets short verbal-only
praise.... "good", "atta boy", "right on".

I start moving at a rather staid pace, and increase it as my dog starts
to catch on. Sometimes, I'm up on the balls of my feet, almost dancing,
moving fast when I change directions. The rules can get more strict.
Instead of waiting for the leash to go straight because he's headed away
from you, make your move when his attention strays.

A neat thing about this game is that you can use it to "warm up" for the
walk, and use it whenever he starts pulling or glomming onto everything
else around you. Yeh, the neighbors think you're NUTS. So?

About the excitement..... You can start to counter that by approaching
the park, but walking past it one time, maybe two or three times, then
go there once. And maintain that irregular "reward" of going to the
park until he's calmer. You can also have him sit, facing you, not the
park, just before he starts to escalate. Praise, give treat for sitting
for a few seconds. Make your approach to the park with a series of
sits, holding his attention for short periods. If, perhaps, he can't do
that, you leave and go home that time. Excitement as you enter the park
is a given. Remember, he's still a baby boy! You can allow him to
boing and bounce, but require that he doesn't pull and jerk at the
leash. When you were, say five or six, and approaching the playground
at a park, you were excited, too, and bounced and chattered..... {grin}

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old December 6th 12, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
bassman2

On Dec 5, 7:34*pm, (Jo Wolf) wrote:
[...]

OK, good advice, txs!