lost dog found, but already adopted

Old January 20th 04, 06:04 PM
Tee

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

i can understand why the shelter can't take a dog away from
it's new adopters just because the former owner waltzes back
into the picture, but why can't there be a fail-safe for when
the shelter messes up? i realize the new adopters' ownership
rights need to be protected, but this seems hideously unfair
to me.

But the shelter wouldn't be taking the dog away from the adopters because
the adopters didn't take possession of her yet. They may have paid the fee
and been told to wait until the dog is vetted before picking her up but if
they had possession of her then the former owner wouldn't have been playing
with her at the shelter. It was a simple matter of phoning the adopter and
telling them what happened then offering their money back. Sounds like this
may be more a case of the shelter not wanting to give a refund or have a
refund showing on their books *or* someone at the shelter really wanted that
dog so he/she gets preference over the former owner. No shelter, anywhere,
can tell me their hands are tied if they are still in physical possession of
the dog. That's a crock.

all i can say is, microchip your pets!!!

That helps but certainly isn't fullproof. Alot of shelters have scanners
but don't use them.

--
Tara

Old January 20th 04, 06:10 PM
Gwen Watson

Tee wrote:

That helps but certainly isn't fullproof. Alot of shelters have scanners
but don't use them.

--
Tara

And alot of microchips move. And if one is as close to Mexico as I am
then I dog could go south of the border and never be found again. And
stranger things have occurred.

I don't see microchipping as full proof or even that grand. Too many
podunk towns with shelters in Texas that wouldn't even have a clue
how to locate a microchip, let alone what to do with the number if
the did. And I fairly serious about the above.

Unless your dog is lost in Austin, Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio
and possibly Corpus Christy I wouldn't expect the itty bitty towns to have
a clue that microchips even exist. Sad but true.

Gwen

Old January 20th 04, 06:18 PM
David H

"shelly" wrote in message
good! considering the good arguments against keeping collars
on unattended dogs,

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but why are you not suppose to keep a
collar on unattended dogs?

David

Old January 20th 04, 06:19 PM

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Tee wrote:

They may have paid the fee and been told to wait until
the dog is vetted before picking her up but if they had
possession of her then the former owner wouldn't have been
playing with her at the shelter.

true. i hadn't thought about that, but you're right.

Sounds like this may be more a case of the shelter not
wanting to give a refund or have a refund showing on their
books

which would be a ludicrous excuse IMO.

*or* someone at the shelter really wanted that dog so he/she
gets preference over the former owner.

which would be *very* unethical IMO, but it sounds like the
most logical explanation to me. it just seems to me that
we're missing some important pieces of the puzzle. even in a
large shelter, i have trouble buying that an owner would miss
seeing their dog on multiple occasions. if the owner is
telling the truth, then the dog had to have been kept away
from public view.

No shelter, anywhere, can tell me their hands are tied if
they are still in physical possession of the dog. That's a
crock.

it sure sounds like one to me.

That helps but certainly isn't fullproof. Alot of shelters
have scanners but don't use them.

i realize that, but in a case like this, they'd have a *hell*
of a time rationalizing why a chipped pet was placed with a
new owner instead of being returned to it's original owner.

--
shelly (perfectly foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette