the cold

Old January 16th 04, 11:50 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default the cold

Schools closed today as the first time ever New England deemed it too
cold for school children to make it safely to school. There have always
been snow days or storm days, but cold? The worry is that someone won't
have bundled up properly and will get frost bite.

Jim bravely went out with Cubbe this morning when the wind was still
strong. He makes a big show out of being the Canadian wonderboy who
can take anything, but he came back and said he was glad he had his
scarf to wrap around his face and his hat pulled down over his ears. He
gave Cubbe the short version of her walk, adequate for bathroom purposes
and a little exercise but not the real deal. Damn dog didn't seem to
notice it was chilly out.

I gave Cubbe a longer walk this afternoon after the wind died down.
While my face was freezing off, she didn't have the courtesy to look
perturbed. She sniffed and noticed squirrels, walked around and had a
grand time. Even with long johns, coat, scarf, gloves and hat, I could
feel that pain in the ears, that "it's so sunny and magnificent and
ALIVE out here" feeling. We scrunched our way up the sidewalk.
Bootless and scarfless, Cubbe still didn't know what the big deal was
about.

Well, there is one exception. In the summer, going up the big hill,
Cubbe pants big lolling tongue out pants. In the winter, that same hill
still makes her pant though that's generally polite short little pants.
For the first time, the exertion of going up that hill didn't make her
pant at all-- or else I have to look my carefully in the future. I was
paying more attention to the wind at my back.

It is supposed to warm up to freezing tomorrow. It will feel like Florida.

--Lia

Cold-weather trialing and cold dogs Robin Nuttall Dog activities 2 November 25th 04 01:26 AM
A cold? White Monkey Dog health 0 August 29th 04 12:31 PM
the cold Julia Altshuler Dog behavior 3 January 18th 04 03:01 AM
A cold? or what Chloe's Mom Dog health 30 October 10th 03 02:41 AM
A cold? or what Chloe's Mom Dog health 0 October 7th 03 09:52 PM