Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet

Old January 7th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

Default Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet

raw chicken... chopped up... and the regular veggies that you eat
yourself... avoid the starches for the most part... but other than that...
should be easy enough for you to feed him... barely any preperation, a
chicken leg, or thigh, or leg/thigh combo... pending on size of puppy at
first... also keeps teeth VERY healty and strong... and white...

toss him an apple to play with and eat for a snack in between...

wrote in message
oups.com...

Sandy in OK wrote:
wrote:
Hi All

Which is better Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet ? Which do you think

is
better nutrition for a growing puppy ?

kIM

Neither is something I'd feed to my dogs. Here are a couple of good
on-line sites to research commercial dog foods. You won't find them at
your grocery store, or at Petsmart. The better foods are frequently
available at feed stores and some vets. (my regular vet carries the
Hills crap mostly, but my holistic vet carries some of the better
foods). Depending on the breed, after about 4 months you may not want
to feed puppy food. Other alternatives are a home-cooked or raw menu.
But you really need to do your research on that to be sure you are
feeding a balanced diet.
http://www.nhratterriers.com/goodfood.htm
http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html

Hi

I have a too busy life to prepare food for the puppy. I meen I would
look after it take it walking etc. But I cannot make food. I live in
Australia so there is not a large variety of food. I have never seen
any of the brands on those websites before. All I have heard about is
Hill's Science Diet , Eukanuba and Advance which is an Australian dog
food company which food has been tested by WALTHAM. So what do I choose
out of the 3 in your opinion?

Old January 7th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Drachen wrote:
raw chicken... chopped up... and the regular veggies that you eat
yourself... avoid the starches for the most part... but other than that...
should be easy enough for you to feed him... barely any preperation, a
chicken leg, or thigh, or leg/thigh combo... pending on size of puppy at
first... also keeps teeth VERY healty and strong... and white...
toss him an apple to play with and eat for a snack in between...

Sounds like a recipe for malnutrition. But hey, at least you're
feeding
with love!

Old January 7th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Melinda Shore wrote:
Drachen wrote:

raw chicken... chopped up... and the regular veggies that you eat
yourself... avoid the starches for the most part... but other than that...
should be easy enough for you to feed him... barely any preperation, a
chicken leg, or thigh, or leg/thigh combo... pending on size of puppy at
first... also keeps teeth VERY healty and strong... and white...
toss him an apple to play with and eat for a snack in between...

Sounds like a recipe for malnutrition. But hey, at least you're
feeding
with love!

Yep, it's this kind of crap that makes me so anti-raw. No real clue what
the actual nutritional needs of the dog are, just throw stuff at
them--if it's raw, it must be the perfect diet!
Old January 7th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet [jerry]

FORGET abHOWET studyin The
Sincerely Incredibly Freakin Insanely Simply Amazing Grand
pussy.

That's the BEST advice you've EVER given!

Old January 7th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

wow... thats moronic...

at least my vet has done research and doesn't toss useless cardboard at
dogs... my dog has a variety of veggies, meat, and fruit to eat daily...
lots of good protien, and other stuff... my dog is far from being
malnurished...

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old January 7th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

There are also many variations of the barf diet available in bulk... lamb,
chicken, beef, etc... and its about the same cost as any high end grain
based dogfood...

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

Old January 7th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Drachen wrote:
at least my vet has done research and doesn't toss useless cardboard at
dogs... my dog has a variety of veggies, meat, and fruit to eat daily...
lots of good protien, and other stuff... my dog is far from being
malnurished...

How do you know? It sounds as if you're just throwing a bunch
of food at your dog without regard for protein/fat/carbohydrate
balance, nutrients, micronutrients, or overall nutritional content.
So again, how do you know whether or not your dog is receiving
adequate nutrition?

Old January 8th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Drachen

I consult my vet who has done more than her share of research on the
subject, as well as following a basic guideline for more popular barf diets
that are more commercially available... most vets only have to take one
course in nutrition and they are generally pawns and pushers for dog food
companies... You can also contact various places that make the diet and
check for yourself.

and in addition, rather than her getting shots every year, we take a blood
test to see if she needs them, and to see how she is doing nutritionally...

she is healthy, active, bright, strong, good bone structure, teeth are
perfect, haven't yet needed any cleaning done on them, she poops and
uriinates regularily, and at the moment she is almost 6 years old, black
lab, and a seizure response dog for my son...

more dogs suffer ear infections due to grain based diets, than do from
barf... everytime I've given her more grain based diet she has had an ear
infection... *due to mainly not having food available here... you know those
days at the end of the month* so three ear infections was more than I
wanted to deal with, and more than she wanted to deal with too...

I feed chicken legs as a main staple, and about once a week a cheaper cut of
beef, either roast or a steak, one day I will do eggs and fish mixed in with
veggies... and she gets veggies and fruit daily... I play toss an apple with
her down the hallway until she decides she wants to eat it... and she gets
our veggie and some meat dishes that are left over... *I do a lot of
stirfrys,* I avoid grapes and onions... and she gets no chocolate although
with the looks she gives you would think she'd die if she didn't get some...
*G*

only one commercially available barf diet dogfood...
http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet.shtml

there are some that may or may not meet nutritional needs, and I havne't
looked at this as I use my own variation and have had no problems with it...
she gets raw and cooked veggies... all kinds... and fruit, and what grains
she gets *outside of corn which I class as a veggie I know slap my fingers*
is generally given to her by my son... they like to share their macaroni...
its a bonding thing... and rare occassional rice... mainly mixed with her
sardines and only half a cups worth...

so she does get a huge range... shes a very happy lab... and typically non
stop hungry... but works well for her constant training...

I've had my son on the keto diet... Im VERY familiar with carbs/fats/etc
that need to be taken in etc... just translate to dog from child... with
vets help of course...

Old January 8th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Drachen wrote:
I consult my vet who has done more than her share of research on the
subject, as well as following a basic guideline for more popular barf diets
that are more commercially available... most vets only have to take one
course in nutrition and they are generally pawns and pushers for dog food
companies...

I have no idea what "more than her share of research" means.
I also don't know how you *know* your dog is receiving adequate
nutrition. I do know a dog that went blind from malnutrition
(vegetarian owner put her on a diet of his own concoction). The
dog was fine right up until she wasn't.

she is healthy, active, bright, strong, good bone structure, teeth are
perfect, haven't yet needed any cleaning done on them, she poops and
uriinates regularily,

Golly! If that's the standard you're going by, why would you fling
poop
about commercial diets, since most dogs on commercial diets meet
the same standard?

I think that your dog's diet is more about how it makes you feel than
about how it makes the dog feel.

Old January 8th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Tara

"Melinda Shore" wrote in
ups.com:

I think that your dog's diet is more about how it makes you feel than
about how it makes the dog feel.

When it comes to the higher end nutritionally complete diets, I have to
totally agree with this.

When it comes to my cats, I'm *always* trying to get them off of grain
based kibbled diets. Why? Because grain based kibble feels completely
unnatural to feed to obligate cornivores.

So (and this will also suffice as an update to my latest diet change for
Annie and the Cats), a few months ago I switched the cats to Evo
(actually, one bag of Evo, and the second bag was the Prairie low carb
version as the store ran out of my first choice) and I switched Annie to
the canine version. Results: Mikey cat was actually doing pretty well,
though I could tell he felt less enthusiastic about mealtimes. Annie was
having some gastric issues- which given her recent bout of giardia as
well as a diet change, I expected- but she just didn't seem quite up to
her usual self to me. After a couple of weeks into the bag of Prairie,
JJ ended up at the vets overnight with a near total constipated
impaction.

Ok, so its back to Iams for the cats and Natural Choice for Annie. The
only switch I've made to the Iams for the cats is I changed to the new
Iams Multi Cat formula. Don't know how, but it supposedly meets the
nutritional needs of very different weight levels in cats. I think its
bull, but hey if it levels them out by some magic chance, I'll take it.
Or, if JJ stops getting fat (like she did with regular Iams) and stops
ending up getting overnight enemas at the vets, well....I can live with
that too.

Something similar happened when I switched my cats (Mikey and my dear
old Ben) to the freeze dried Prairie food. Again, Mikey did really well
(as he always does when I remove fiber from his diet) but after a week
Ben got such bad tummy pains I raced him to the vet....only to find out
after Xrays that he just had REALLY bad gas from the food.

I may, or may not, have learned my lesson. I say "may not" because of
the sliver of weirdness in my brain that insists its the Prairie food
that's causing all the problems.

But, I'm going to try really hard to leave well enough alone this time.

I'm a good example, though, of trying to feed a more "natural" food
because of what *I* want to be true, in spite of the evidence showing
how well my pets are doing on what they're getting.

Tara