Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet

Old January 8th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Lynne

Default Eukanuba or Hill's Science Diet

on Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:22:44 GMT, "Drachen" wrote:

yes... if I had a camera at the time I would have video taped him to
show the pediatric neurologist...

same kind of preservatives... he is fine with his fine motor skills,
but when it comes to handling kibble, *and we tried a variety* he
starts to have seizures...

doesn't have a problem handling rabbit food, crackers, chips or
anything else...

Could the trigger for his seizures be related to his body and/or head
position when he was feeding kibble to the dog? Perhaps his seizures are
triggered by pressure on his vagus nerve. Squatting can put pressure on
this nerve, as can straining in certain ways. I know that vagus nerve
stimulation can be used to control seizures, so it's not outside of the
realm of possibilities that it could also trigger them in some people.

I'm only guessing, but this seems quite a bit more likely to me than an
allergy to the kibble, unless your son was also eating it (or sticking
his hands in his mouth after handling it). Or perhaps it was the smell
of the kibble which triggered his seizures?

Personally I'd still give it to my dog but not let my child feed it to
him or be around the dog when he's eating.

--
Lynne
Old January 8th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

Shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I don't keep track of where I read what for the most part,
but people do recommend whole legs, thighs and wings.

Really?! I must have missed it.

I've never seen it discussed on rpd, either. Many owners on
the epilepsy lists feed raw - some of those give weight-
bearing bones, but it really depends on the dog. Turkey legs
are thoroughly discouraged.

I avoid chicken drumsticks because of the pointy cartilage,
not the bone, but Friday is fine with thighs - he's a
methodical chewer. It's rare I give him anything raw but
turkey necks, though, as treats/meal replacements once a week.
Rocky gets nothing which requires chewing.

Anyway, the main reason that backs and wings are suggested as
opposed to legs is to maintain the proper meat to bone ratio
(phosphorus/calcium), or so I understand. If one feeds
strictly legs, the calcium intake needs to be upped. And
that's all I know about raw. I don't feed it because I don't
have the time to do it properly.

Old January 8th 07, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet B

On 8 Jan 2007 17:45:49 GMT, Rocky , clicked their
heels and said:

Shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I don't keep track of where I read what for the most part,
but people do recommend whole legs, thighs and wings.

Really?! I must have missed it.

I've never seen it discussed on rpd, either.

Like I said, I read a lot of different things, a lot of different
places, and don't keep track all that well! I've also SEEN people
feeding primarily legs and wings. Not going to happen around here,
but people do a lot of "interesting" things.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 8th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Sandy in OK" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have an epi dog, and have found we have much better
control when we avoid foods with rosemary (hard to find in
the better foods)

I've always given California Natural partial credit for Rocky
being seizure-free for four years.

Old January 8th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Drachen" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

And another reason I don't have that dogfood in my house is
that everytime my son went to feed the dog, his seizure
activity would INCREASe...

Which food?

Old January 8th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Susan Fraser" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So you could do a lot worse than Nutro NC (stay away from
the Nutro Max, though IMO).

Nutro Max *used* to be a good food when Murphy was originally on
it about 12 years ago. A couple of years before her death, I
was caught short on Nutro NC and bought a small bag of Nutro Max
- she threw up a few hours after every meal.

I agree with your opinion of Nutro Natural Choice and recommend
it to people who don't want to search out foods not as readily
available.

Old January 8th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Rocky wrote:
"Susan Fraser" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So you could do a lot worse than Nutro NC (stay away from
the Nutro Max, though IMO).

Nutro Max *used* to be a good food when Murphy was originally on
it about 12 years ago. A couple of years before her death, I
was caught short on Nutro NC and bought a small bag of Nutro Max
- she threw up a few hours after every meal.

I agree with your opinion of Nutro Natural Choice and recommend
it to people who don't want to search out foods not as readily
available.

I agree that Nutro Natural Choice is the best of the pet warehouse
dogfoods. I got the best results with it with my immunosuppressed dog.
I did have to supliment it to boost his immune system though, but that
is my particular dog, not a problem of the food. Should be a great
food for the typical dog.

Nick

Old January 8th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

diddy wrote:
in thread : elegy
whittled the following words:

, and most professionals are going to
look at the diets that have the numbers and the studies to back them
up.

Exactly

i've personally never seen a dog with problems due to a raw diet. we
don't have that many clients who feed (or admit to feeding) raw,
though.

I personally have experience with four dogs fed raw. ONE never had any
issues what-so-ever.

ONE, is not raw fed, but had a near deadly experience with a raw chicken
bone. And the others had serious and near deadly side effects from raw
diet.

I've never had nutritional difficulties on commercial diets. Guess which
feeding options I'm taking.

I also choose commercial diets myself, and recommend them. My
experience with Raw comes from my three personal dogs who, until more
food options became available to me, could only live a fully
comfortable life on a raw diet because all of the commercial ones
available caused their health problems to flare up. That is why I
don't feel that when the situation warrants it you should disregard
raw, in my experience. But your experience is different and that is
fine with me. Just letting everyone know my experience. It ultimately
is the decision of the owner on if they want to do it. I personally do
not recommend raw unless nothing else is working. It just takes way to
much time to do it safely in my book. Not to mention, it isn't cheap
to feed raw the way I did, and the frequent blood tests didn't make it
any cheaper.

Nick

Nick

Old January 8th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

diddy wrote in
:

in thread . 4: Shelly
whittled the following words:

"Drachen" wrote in news:12q4ljbj5h9nt79
@corp.supernews.com:

they are sharp when cooked... not when raw...

Untrue. I've cut up plenty of raw chickens and chicken bones in my
life, and my experience is that long bones are sharp even when raw.

Yeah well, Who can forget Tuck's experience, and yes, that was raw!
Thanks to all the well wishes on this newsgroup when he experienced
this last summer. Even those people who hate me were sending well
wishes for my puppy. It's always been appreciated that people put away
their dislikes and predjudices for the wellbeing of an innocent pup.

There are a lot of people here with strong personalities and strong
opinions. But I can't think of more than one or two who are actually
mean people and they all love dogs. That would be despicable in my book
to wish that kind of worry on you, never mind wish the innocent puppy his
end of the misadventure. Even for those people who are a trainwreck
waiting to happen but who won't change until the train wrecks, I have
trouble. Part of me thinks it will be better in the long run if
something happens that is serious enough to clue them in on how important
the issues they have and the advice they have been given are. But a
bigger part of me can't seem to get there even if it is for ultimate
gain. I just end up wishing that they could get a clue and some
motivation without them or their dogs or their kids or neighbor kids or
whoever having to go through anything horrible.

Paula