Xoloitzcuintli (Xolo) vs. American Hairless Terrier

Old January 16th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dh003i

Default Xoloitzcuintli (Xolo) vs. American Hairless Terrier

Following up on an earlier post, I've narrowed down my choice of what
kind of dog is suitable for me.

Basically, I've narrowed it down to the Xoloitzcuintli or the American
Hairless Terrier. As far as I can tell from looking at pictures of the
two, they have almost exactly the same physical structure -- aside from
the more common prevalence of uniform darks among Xolo's, I can't tell
the difference physically. Can anyone here explain any subtle physical
differences?

In any event, I'm trying to decide which of these two might be the
better pet. According to dogbreedinfo.com, the Xolo's have a longer
lifespan (15-20 years) than the AHT's (around 15 years).
Dogbreedinfo.com also notes that both breeds are very healthy, and have
no genetic health problems. However, some other websites mention that
the Xolo suffers from dentite (teeth) problems common among hairless
breeds, while the AHT doesn't. Any insights on this? How important is
it?

While both breeds appear to be very friendly, intelligent, and
trainable, it is the Xolo that appears to have a more emotive / bonding
description, from what owners say.

Other differences are that the Xolo has a 3000 year history, and is
essentially unchanged over those 3000 years (being a primitive canine),
while the American Hairless Terrier (a mutation of the Rat Terrier) is
only a few decades old as a breed, and not officially established yet
as an official breed. I find the Xolo's history of religious
significance to be interesting.

Another factor is that while both seem to be somewhat rare, the Xolo is
*extremely* rare (one of the rarest of rare dogs)...information on
where to find breeders would be helpful.

So, does anyone have any words of advice?

Old January 16th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Christy

"dh003i" wrote in message
oups.com...
Following up on an earlier post, I've narrowed down my choice of what
kind of dog is suitable for me.

Basically, I've narrowed it down to the Xoloitzcuintli or the American
Hairless Terrier. As far as I can tell from looking at pictures of the
two, they have almost exactly the same physical structure -- aside from
the more common prevalence of uniform darks among Xolo's, I can't tell
the difference physically. Can anyone here explain any subtle physical
differences?

Well, size for one thing - Xolo size varies widely and the ones I've met
have been significantly larger than Rat Terriers. I've never met an AHT but
I've met many rats and I'd assume they are pretty much the same in terms of
temperament, which is generally mild for a terrier but still very
terrier-like. The Xolos that I have met have all been rescues, so no way of
knowing if the temperaments were the norm, but they were very independent
and aloof, whereas Ratties are independent but people oriented. It will
probably be tough for you to meet many examples of them before deciding but
if you can at least meet some Ratties and decide if you like them, that
would be a step in the right direction. Also, check the ARBA website for
shows near you or breeder referrals.
What made you decide on a hairless breed?

Christy

Old January 16th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dh003i

Christy,

Thanks for the response. I'm really surprised that all of the Xolos
you've met have been rescues, since they're such rare breeds.

I decided on a hairless dog for the ease-of-maintenance and cleanliness
factor. They don't shed hair, and they don't require frequent grooming
(they just require occasional bathing; and to be protected from extreme
cold / sun).

I also like their appearance. They are wonderfully sculpted specimens,
and their grace is fully on display, like an Incan / Mayan or Egyptian
statue. That's another thing I like about them. They remind me of
Ancient civilizations in South America and Egypt.

Also, could you tell the difference between them physically when
looking at them? I can't.

Old January 17th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Christy

"dh003i" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for the response. I'm really surprised that all of the Xolos
you've met have been rescues, since they're such rare breeds.

Yep, but I live in Southern California, and since they are a Mexican breed,
they do end up in shelters occasionally. My sister is one of the very few
rescue contacts for hairless dogs and she's rescued a few Xolos as well as a
litter of Peruvian Inca Orchid puppies (another rare nekked breed.)

I decided on a hairless dog for the ease-of-maintenance and cleanliness
factor. They don't shed hair, and they don't require frequent grooming
(they just require occasional bathing; and to be protected from extreme
cold / sun).

I also like their appearance. They are wonderfully sculpted specimens,
and their grace is fully on display, like an Incan / Mayan or Egyptian
statue. That's another thing I like about them. They remind me of
Ancient civilizations in South America and Egypt.

Also, could you tell the difference between them physically when
looking at them? I can't.

Like I said, I've never seen an AHT in person, but the Xolos I have met have
not been similar to Rat Terriers structurally. More like a Doberman mix,
only bald.

Christy