nubs and bobtails

Old January 26th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Default nubs and bobtails

Sorry for starting a new thread. I didn't think I had anything to add
and lost where this would fit in.

I didn't know what a dog's nub was and therefore missed the joke about
gluing the label to it. Today, I googled to find out and found this
about telling the difference between a naturally short tailed dog and
one that's had its tail docked.

http://www.donabney.com/issue_bobtail.shtml
The difference between the Natural bob-tailed dogs and those that have
had their tails removed can be determined by x-ray or feel. The boney
part of a naturally bob-tailed dog can be felt and will taper toward the
end. The tail of a dog that has had his tail bobbed will be blunt on the
end. It's just a matter of feeling the boney structure to determine if
the dog is a Natural Bob-Tail or if the tail has been removed.

--Lia

Old January 26th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
. ..
Sorry for starting a new thread. I didn't think I had anything to add and
lost where this would fit in.

I didn't know what a dog's nub was and therefore missed the joke about
gluing the label to it. Today, I googled to find out and found this about
telling the difference between a naturally short tailed dog and one that's
had its tail docked.

http://www.donabney.com/issue_bobtail.shtml
The difference between the Natural bob-tailed dogs and those that have had
their tails removed can be determined by x-ray or feel. The boney part of
a naturally bob-tailed dog can be felt and will taper toward the end. The
tail of a dog that has had his tail bobbed will be blunt on the end. It's
just a matter of feeling the boney structure to determine if the dog is a
Natural Bob-Tail or if the tail has been removed.

Interestingly enough I've been asking the corgi-l list for info about tail
genetics and I've gotten some amazing info:

Here are some links to read more about the bobtail gene. In corgis it is a
simple dominant gene, the long tail gene is recessive. Current research
suggests that it is also a lethal gene....meaning that there are no living
dogs that carry 2 of the dominant genes. All bobtails carry one dominant
and one resessive gene, so even when breeding bobtail to bobtail you will
get dogs with long tails. (I understand that they have done DNA studies to
determine this)

The Bobtail genes in Australian Shepherds has been linked to spinal bifida
and other abnormalities. It is not know if this gene will have the same
effect in corgis.

http://www.kennelsiggen.com/KENNEL/bobtail.htm

http://www.steynmere.com/ARTICLES5.html

http://www.anne.kleivens.com/annwn/bobtails.php

http://www.boxerunderground.com/1998...98/bobtail.htm

Old January 27th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

Beth In Alaska wrote:

[...]

Nice research. Thanks.

Cubbe has a full curly tail.

Genny had a stumpy 4" tail. I remember her first trip to the vet when
she was around 10 weeks. He asked how her tail had gotten docked. I
told him she'd come that way, that the guy who'd given her to me said
that in her litter 3 had long tails and 2 had short. The vet answered
that it was O.K. then and went on to say something about natural tails.
I didn't realize it at the time, but I think he was ready to be
furious about a home-dock job. I've always wondered about Genny's tail.

Sheppe had a short stumpy tail too. Since we found her when she was
full grown, I never knew if that was from birth or not.

--Lia